Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2024, 08:50 AM   #61
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
For the last rallycross, I was too busy getting my tow vehicle ready (replacing the rear struts and internals of the DEF tank) that I didn't take the time to get everything checked on the Frog.

The rear struts are modified VW Golf front struts: 6 months to live build thread
The bottom bracket on the left strut was not tightened enough. It rotated and the strut slipped down. No serious damage, but I only got one run and had to quit for the day.

I was going to swap the stock rear suspension from the Parts Car, but I'm not going to have enough time before the next race day. The Parts Car still runs great and has functional air conditioning. I'm going to put a spoiler and some good tires on it and run it one more time.

Old 06-30-2024, 06:31 PM   #62

Garage
Night Rallycross next Saturday. I bolted some lights of the front of the parts car this afternoon. It is now officially the ugliest car I have owned. Ugly, but it's going to be fun for one last race. I expect to get serious about pulling it apart in August.
Old 07-06-2024, 04:57 PM   #63

Garage
I think it's less ugly with matching wheels. Getting ready now for the night rallycross. Oil level is a bit high. If I was smart, I would have drained some while I was at home. Luckily, I did bring a filter wrench.
Old 07-07-2024, 04:40 PM   #64

Garage
I had a good night at rallycross. The car held together well except for the engine cutting out a couple times near the end of the evening. It may have been from too much dust in the air filter or the fact that this car is running a DME from an '03 996.

I placed second in the 'Modified RWD' Class. Because parts have been removed and some non-standard parts added (such as the racing chicken), the car is considered modified. The thing is, with this car none of the modifications improve the performance. It's just a matter of replacing parts that were sold with whatever I had handy to get the car running again.

It's been a fun car to play with, but I think I'm done with driving it now. The gearing is really terrible for rallycross. I don't know if all of the '03 - '04 5-speeds are like this, but the gearing is very tall. I could do much of the course in first gear. I actually found myself throwing it down to first to rotate the car for an off-camber 90 degree turn at the end of a straight and it worked well.

I'll have some spare time in the next couple weeks to work on cars. I plan to pull the rear suspension and axles off this car to put on the Frog. From there I may keep stripping it and scrap it or I may haul it to another lot and store for a while.

Old 07-08-2024, 10:18 PM   #65

Old 07-26-2024, 08:14 AM   #66

Garage
The Frog is back on stock rear suspension now. I didn't realize until I was well into the job that the modified rear wheel carriers that had been on it were from an S model. I could have just swapped on a pair that I had on the shelf. Instead, I took the base model rears from the parts car along with control arms and struts and put them on the Frog. To keep the parts car semi-driveable I put the S model parts from my shelf onto it along with some blown rear struts. Double the work that I should have done.

It was when I installed the brake rotors back onto the Frog that I realized there was a problem. The rotors that had been on it no longer fit. They rubbed on the calipers. Once I compared the parts that I had taken off with the parts I installed, I realized the problem. Installing a new pair of base model rotors made it all good.

I had planned to swap the damaged axle with one from the parts car, but there was a big difference. On the '04 parts car the axles were bolted to the transmission with M10 bolts instead of the usual M8 bolts. I don't know this history of this car, but it has a factory replacement engine in it. Maybe they put a 987 5-speed transmission in as well? That may explain the high gearing compared to my other 5-speeds.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:35 PM   #67
WALDMEISTER

Garage

that is still my favourite
Old 07-28-2024, 04:57 AM   #68

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
... that is still my favourite
My favorite too. I haven't had much time to play with it lately, but it gets used as a 'daily driver' a couple times a week.
Old 08-02-2024, 07:12 PM   #69

Garage
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with the Orient Red 2001. Right now it's a place to store the hard top that I took off PartsCar. I went for a sunset drive today. Even with many flaws, it is a blast to drive.

I'm not inspired to work on it yet, but throwing it around some curves, feeling the loose shifter, and smelling oil burning on the hot exhaust got me thinking that I should get my 914 put together and on the road.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:55 PM   #70
WALDMEISTER

Garage
914? Absolutely needs to be put on the road.
Old 09-03-2024, 09:34 AM   #71

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
914? Absolutely needs to be put on the road.
The 914 was moved into the garage a couple weeks ago, but it was too hot to work on it. Now that the weather has cooled down for a few days, oops I bought another 986 project.

https://youtu.be/893b_LvkLVY?feature=shared

It started out on Facebook Market a month or two ago at $5,000. When the seller dropped it to $3,500 I made a $2,500 offer "cash in hand, ready to trailer away". The seller accepted my offer on Friday. He moved to Poland on Sunday and needed it gone.

Even at $2,500 I don't think it's a great deal, but I have a lot of parts in storage that I'd rather have installed on a car. ...and the 17" Sport Classic wheels are my favorite.
Old 09-03-2024, 11:11 AM   #72

Garage
For a few minutes it It looked like the steering wheel was right hand drive. I dunno why.

Last edited by BFeller; 09-03-2024 at 11:13 AM.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 12:05 PM   #73

Garage
I did the video with the selfie camera on my phone. Didn't realize it was mirrored until I posted it.