Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #1
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
This & That

A moment with both uncovered at the same time. This is my favorite car, not that there's anything wrong with That.

In the spring we'll probably clean them up and go out for a good photo-shoot.

Edit:
I just realized that I never explained the origins of these two.
This was an insurance auction car from front end collision. I didn't know I was bidding against Woody:
My new Hardtop has a car attached
That was bought from the classified section of the forum. The ad was there for four months. I finally couldn't take it any longer:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/57612-1999-boxster-128k-hardtop-lots-parts-atlanta-2.html

Last edited by 78F350; 08-15-2016 at 08:07 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

I'm with you. This is better than that. lol
Old 03-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #3

Garage
Then I wanted to take the top off of 'This' on a nice day, so I put it on the 'Other'...

Old 03-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #4

The next should be "problem" because that's what you have. It must be something in the water up there in Oklahoma. All you guys up there have multiple boxsters
Old 03-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
The next should be "problem" because that's what you have. It must be something in the water up there in Oklahoma. All you guys up there have multiple boxsters
Sure, Redtele has a warehouse full, Retro has a nice pair, and I have 4.5, but you have bought HOW MANY?
At least it's more practical than Hummel figurines or sailboats.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

Garage
I had to do some travel for work and decided to take THIS rather than a rental car. My drive took me across eastern Oklahoma, western Arkansas, a moment in Texas, and into Louisiana.
I had planned on driving the length of the Talimena Scenic Byway on my way home, but I was worn out from the trip, so just cut through the middle of it. A nice scenic twisty road and I plan to go back.

I pulled over a couple times to let slow trucks get further ahead of me.
At one stop, a State Trooper stopped for moment just to make sure all was okay - then he accelerated away, clearly enjoying the road.

Oklahoma isn't all flat...

Heavy thunderstorm ahead, time to take the bra off before it gets soaked.

Well north of the storm and the sun is setting.

A nice drive and a good car for the trip, now to make time for some cleaning and polishing in the days ahead.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:11 AM   #7

Quote:
I'm with you. This is better than that. lol
Totally disagree, but that won't get any better than this.

Great pcs!
Old 07-19-2016, 04:18 AM   #8

Eastern Oklahoma and especially Western Arkansas have some great Porsche roads. I'm jealous because im always in the F350 when I'm driving them
Old 07-19-2016, 05:42 AM   #9

Even southwest Oklahoma has its own unique beauty. This is in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge about 20 miles west and a bit north of Lawton. The southern border of the Refuge borders the northern boundary of the bombing range where I work.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #10

Garage
Getting ready for our fist DE.
Trying out some magnetic numbers.

Loaded up and ready to head out.

Meeting up with RedTele58 in the morning .
Old 08-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #11

Have fun! Is the DE at Hallet? I predict an addiction and one of your boxster's getting the racecar treatment in your future. I hope to see you guys in October
Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #12

pm sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Getting ready for our fist DE.
Trying out some magnetic numbers.

Loaded up and ready to head out.

Meeting up with RedTele58 in the morning .
I sent a pm in reference to the car bra
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
I sent a pm in reference to the car bra
Replied...
Quote:
Have fun! Is the DE at Hallet? I predict an addiction and one of your boxster's getting the racecar treatment in your future. I hope to see you guys in October
Yes, it was at Hallett and we had a great time. It was really good to have Rick there to show us the ropes and share his raceport. I'm planning to do a 'My first DE' post rather than detail it here. Both cars held up well, even with THAT doing a little mudding in the grass off turn 1. Wish I caught that on camera...
I plan to Volunteer for a day during Octoberfast, looking forward to getting together and seeing some of the spec racers.

I had a friend make magnetic numbers for us, but after he started, he found that he only had enough material on hand for two. I hand-cut the rest from a sheet of 3M wrap vinyl.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #14

Garage
This

Left work this morning at sunrise with the top on. Went back to work at sunset with the top off. This:

Old 10-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #15
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
This & That

You clearly have an eye for a good shot, my friend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #16

Garage
Some of THAT

It occurred to me that the thread has been almost all about THIS, and hardly anything about THAT. I was out driving THAT at mid-day today and decided to stop for a few pictures. Since I figured out manual shifting the Tiptronic for a spirited drive, THAT has been a lot more fun.

West side of the Ft Gibson Dam:

East side of the Dam. Hwy 80 winding up the hill in the background:

Hwy 80 between the dam and the town of Hulbert is a great drive. It has good pavement, winding corners, hills, and little traffic. Too busy driving to take pictures, but I did pull off on a side road along the lakeshore for a few more shots:

Last edited by 78F350; 11-17-2016 at 06:10 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:10 PM   #17

Garage
Driving home from a night shift, I pulled over for a couple pictures of the dissipating fog.

One of these days I need to pull that front bumper back off and:
-Get rid of the zip ties in my vent grilles.
-Get the alignment at the front of the frunk more even.

Otherwise I am very happy with THIS.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:55 AM   #18

Garage
Last week, I jumped in THAT and drove 1200 miles to Phoenix. No issues with the car other than the passenger window failing to drop when the door is opened (Fixed that on a couple other cars already).
On the way back home we drove through the Petrified Forest National Park. It was a great diversion from the long drive and we took a few ~1 mile hikes on the way through.
Here's a few pics:

Old 08-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #19
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Beautiful shots . . . . nice car too!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #20

Garage
The worn clutch on my daughter's VW finally gave out and she has started using THAT as her daily driver. It solved a problem for me because I felt like I had too many 986s, but really didn't want to get rid of any of them. Last week I was riding in the passenger seat and heard a light, scraping - sometimes clicking sound from the right rear wheel. First my mind went to bad wheel bearing or CV joint, but a quick look under the car showed it was much simpler and easy to fix.

The E-brake cable had been routed incorrectly and was rubbing on the tire and wheel. I have not done any work in that area since I bought the car, so it has been that way for over two years and not been noticed by me, or the shop that replaced the IMS. If I hadn't ridden in the passenger seat I probably wouldn't have noticed. Perhaps the zip-tie that had been holding it to the track arm shifted recently causing it to rub.

The fix was easy: Raise the car. Unbolt both ends of the track arm. Move the track arm under the cable. Bolt it back. New zip-ties.

While the car was up, I also noticed that the guard plate at the bottom of the brake rotor was rubbing and the CV boot is starting to crack. The guard plate was easily fixed (bent) and the CV boot will be deferred and watched for a few months.

Another thing I like to do when my Boxsters are raised, is check the oil filter. It looked great, going on about 5k since the last oil change and just a trace of metallic 'flour' on the magnets. I'll have my daughter do the oil change in the next couple weeks.
Filter magnet thread: DIY Magnetic Oil Filtering