Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2021, 05:20 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I'm making my way through the thread right now for the first time. I just sent a pic of this to my wife and told her to get ready to fly!
Do it, it's a blast!! There are some really good rallycross tracks/events up by where you live. I got this trophy last week. I beat the national champion on her own track. Own as in she owns it!

Old 01-31-2021, 10:15 PM   #102

Love it!
Old 02-06-2021, 04:45 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Do it, it's a blast!! There are some really good rallycross tracks/events up by where you live. I got this trophy last week. I beat the national champion on her own track. Own as in she owns it!

Congrats on the win! I'm super impressed how quickly you've come to dominate that event!

There's actually a dirt oval track 2 miles from my house. Noone is racing right now because of covid, but damn it's tempting to pop that gate open and go for a spin.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2021, 04:51 AM   #104

Quote:
Congrats on the win! I'm super impressed how quickly you've come to dominate that event!

There's actually a dirt oval track 2 miles from my house. Noone is racing right now because of covid, but damn it's tempting to pop that gate open and go for a spin.

Thanks, growing up and learning how to drive in Alaska probably helped.

Yesterday was my official return to driving the RWD boxster full time and retiring the FWD Golf. I came in first for RWD by a long shot. No one in my class was even close. I came in third overall behind two AWD subarus. I'm really enjoyed RWD. It's soooo much more challenging than FWD. You have to get everything right or you're screwed. Unfortunately the motor was sounding rough 3/4 into the race. I started it up and the lifters were making a noise like they were starving for oil.(at least that's what it sounded like). I shut it down and checked the oil level. It was down to the bottom mark on the digstick. Low but not that low to cause any issues I would think. With nothing to lose I added some oil and went about a half a quart over. The noise went away and I finished my last two runs without any noise or problems. After getting it on the trailer I took a peak underneath. It has a small leak coming from the rear of the engine and front of the engine. I'm hoping it's just the power steering pump overflowing but I suspect worse. I'll get a better look later when I have time. I'm really considering an engine swap to something more robust and cheaper than the M96 motor. I have an Audi 2.7 and two VW 2.5 motors. The 2.5 is becoming a popular motor swap for the 944 and other vehicles. They're dirt cheap and can put out some very impressive numbers.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:41 AM   #105

Quote:
Thanks, growing up and learning how to drive in Alaska probably helped.

Yesterday was my official return to driving the RWD boxster full time and retiring the FWD Golf. I came in first for RWD by a long shot. No one in my class was even close. I came in third overall behind two AWD subarus. I'm really enjoyed RWD. It's soooo much more challenging than FWD. You have to get everything right or you're screwed. Unfortunately the motor was sounding rough 3/4 into the race. I started it up and the lifters were making a noise like they were starving for oil.(at least that's what it sounded like). I shut it down and checked the oil level. It was down to the bottom mark on the digstick. Low but not that low to cause any issues I would think. With nothing to lose I added some oil and went about a half a quart over. The noise went away and I finished my last two runs without any noise or problems. After getting it on the trailer I took a peak underneath. It has a small leak coming from the rear of the engine and front of the engine. I'm hoping it's just the power steering pump overflowing but I suspect worse. I'll get a better look later when I have time. I'm really considering an engine swap to something more robust and cheaper than the M96 motor. I have an Audi 2.7 and two VW 2.5 motors. The 2.5 is becoming a popular motor swap for the 944 and other vehicles. They're dirt cheap and can put out some very impressive numbers.
I have a slow leak coming from the front driver's side of the engine. I suspect it's the PCV valve. I'm gonna hold off replacing it until I pull the intake runners for some clean up and sai delete (mostly cuz I can't even figure out where the damn thing is). I'm not sure about the rear, maybe oil fill tube? That wouldn't drain the level down so low though, unless it was cracked at the block.

+1 to the VAG engine swaps. Dirt cheap and tons of power to be had. My "stage 2" is twin k03 turbos and W/M injection and I'm secretly hoping that my 2.7 explodes so that I have an excuse to shoehorn in a proper motor lol. I know it's very anyi-porsche of me to say it but damn these motors are a pain in the ass for not a ton of bang in return.

Old 02-09-2021, 04:57 AM   #106

Quote:
I know it's very anyi-porsche of me to say it but damn these motors are a pain in the ass for not a ton of bang in return.

Not only that, they're pretty tapped out on power ability. Add any kind of forced induction on them and they go boom very quickly. To add to the discussion we had on your thread about the air filter being inside the trunk and getting it's source of air from the trunk vents. Here is a great picture of why that's not the best idea. On a good note, my motor seems to idle better with a clogged air filter. lol
Old 02-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #107

Quote:
Not only that, they're pretty tapped out on power ability. Add any kind of forced induction on them and they go boom very quickly. To add to the discussion we had on your thread about the air filter being inside the trunk and getting it's source of air from the trunk vents. Here is a great picture of why that's not the best idea. On a good note, my motor seems to idle better with a clogged air filter. lol

I can definitely see how those filters would get dirty quickly if there's nothing between them and the cloud of speed you're kicking up. My money is still on pulling air through the trunk lid. I wonder if a stop gap would be to *cough* duct tape some generic filters in place over the vent openings. Cheap filters will probably breathe just fine and may at least cut down on the dirt storm inside the trunk.

Rough idle is a sign that the design is working! Lean her out and squeeze out that power baby.

Old 04-04-2021, 04:54 AM   #108

At the last race it had become real difficult to get any power down. That's always a big problem with RWD and the main reason RWD vehicles are typically slower in the dirt. I decided to move the battery as far back as I could. I also plugged the holes in the trunk so dirty air couldn't get sucked in to the air filter.

Thanks to Truegear's build thread, I upgraded the single toyota tercel radiator to a much larger radiator built to fit a chevy impala. The new radiator with fans was less than $300 and surprisingly well built. The latest improvements helped immensely and I walked away first in my class of 15 and second overall, losing only to an AWD subaru.

I picked up my next race car for $3000. It's a 2000 996 C4. I'm not quite sure what power plant I will end up using. I'm leaning towards a LS because I really want 400hp and 400tq. Not going to get that out of a M96. This project will be on the back burner for awhile as I'll be busy building my new shop. It has 2500sqft of enclosed space and an additional 1000sqft of cover.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:17 AM   #109

Are you venting the front trunk at all or just letting the fans do their thing?

Congrats on the new shop! That's gonna be fantastic. It makes such a huge difference actually having space to work.

If you wanna get 400hp out of the m96, I would love to see a 3.4 with tripled up head gaskets pushing 7-9 psi through twin gt2860s. You will see well over that amount and I think that it can be done quite safely considering that our internals are forged and the dme will retard timing when you start running into knock. Add meth injection and you can probably take it even higher!

Btw, where the hell did you find that car for $3k?! Did someone die in it? That's a steal!

Last edited by ike84; 04-04-2021 at 05:32 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #110

I completely opened up the front of the frunk down to the floor pan. Below the radiator is one big scoop. The air then exits out the vents on the hood or back at the cowl. Mostly the cowl.

Thanks .Shop space is like horsepower, you never have enough. Hopefully this keeps me happy for awhile even though with 3500sqft, I still can't fit all me toys inside it.

There are many factors to being fast at racing. Lightweight is right behind tires on the list. Hard to beat an aluminum LS on power to weight and simplicity. Cost too! I'm only hesitant because it's not a porsche or even a german motor.

It looks good in the picture but it's lived a hard life. I basically bought a rolling shell. Everything I plan on using will need to be rebuilt
Old 05-14-2022, 09:30 AM   #111

It's been awhile since I updated this thread and a lot has happened since then. Last september I took it to a race in Oklahoma. Not five minutes into the race weekend, the motor locked up. I did happen to get these pictures taken 10 seconds before that happen

So the car has pretty much sat since then. I had a parts car with a good 2.7 and had all intentions of throwing another motor in the frog. I removed the donor motor and then removed the seized motor. It was at that point that I just hit the wall. I just don't want to race it or maintain it anymore. I've gotten bored racing rallycross with production based cars. My heart is with something more. That's when I called up a fellow member on here and asked if he was interested in buying it. He enthusiastically said yes and came down here about a week later to pick it up. It makes me very happy to see it go to someone who will appreciate it for what it is. Bye Bye Frog
Old 05-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #112

Oh man, I guess it's like they say about boats - the two happiest days....

I hope you find a new project to throw your passion at. You're a talented guy and I wish you all the best!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2022, 07:30 PM   #113
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
That same race day that Woody blew the engine in the Frog, I finished off what was left of the 2.5L 1997 engine that I had put in a stripped out '01 Tiptronic Base.

Since then I've used a beat up, worn out '04 Base to Rallycross with. Rather than being prepared to race in any way, it is simply in bad enough shape that I can happily flog it with no worries for the outcome.

Recently Woody called and asked me if I was interested in the Frog. It had been sitting for over six months and he just didn't have the motivation to fix it. Rallycrossing it had been fun, but he was tired of always winning and was moving on to other things.

I have too little time and too many projects at the moment, but "always winning" is not a problem I have. I told him, "Yes! I'll take your car ...(Pending the approval of Mrs 78F350)."
Old 05-15-2022, 07:49 PM   #114

Garage
I picked it up on Friday May 13th. On the way to Bastrop I came upon a roadblock. At first I thought it was construction. When I stopped, the police approached and looked in back of the Touareg as they told me that there was a murderer on the loose in the area. Highway 7 was closed and I should not pick up any hitchhikers. If I saw a middle age balding Hispanic man by the road, call 911. I later found this news: https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/13/us/tx-escaped-murderer-manhunt/index.html I continued to Bastrop and did not pick up any hitchhikers.

I arrived at Woody's place a little before 11:00. He was out in the shop and had the car ready to go except for needing the two wheels that I had brought put on. He gave me a tour of his place, offering me pretty much any Boxster parts I wanted. I would have taken everything he offered, except I already have limited space and too many projects. We tried loading a third engine on my trailer, but decided that it was too much for a safe 8 hour drive.

The drive home was pretty smooth and uneventful. Other than gas and food, I just had to make one early stop to change how I tied the trunk lid down. It turns out that having a big wing on the trunk going backwards make a lot of *Up* Force.

It's at it's new home now among some siblings and I'm excited about getting to work on it. It may get the 2.7L engine that Woody included, or I may swap in another engine that I've had in the garage for a few years. There's a disassembled car in the garage right now that I hope to have together and out of there by the end of next week. For now I can look it over and make some plans. What I really need is a 10 car garage.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:59 PM   #115

Garage
Great that the frog is at a loving home
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:28 AM   #116
Track rat

Garage
Super fun thread Woody and it looks like you had a barrel of laughs building and racing the frog! Dirt track racing was my 1st love and I enjoyed watching your learning curve as you got better at the sport and improved the build.

You are right that in rallycross, hp matters but grip/weight matters more. Maybe time to move into Trophy Trucks and make a Baja 1000 challenge. Several friends made this their life's work and can't get enough of it.

Cheers!
Old 05-21-2022, 05:10 AM   #117

Thanks guys. I'm porscheless now but I do plan on getting another one some day. I have tons of parts still and also have an Audi 2.7 and 987 6 speed I've been dying to install in a boxster. As for now, I'm looking at buying a YXZ1000R to race with. So many more opportunities to go racing with one of those.

The Frog looks like a monster truck parked next to your other boxsters. The engine and transmission will bring the rear down quite a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Old 12-18-2022, 04:52 AM   #118

Garage
The Frog is not gone. I've just had a lot of other priorities and plenty of overtime. The goal is to have it together and tested in time for Rallycross #1
Old 03-06-2023, 09:10 PM   #119

Garage
I put the good engine that Woody gave me in another car and put the bad engine back in after finding out that it had good compression and cleaning it up. I didn't expect it to last long, but it made it through a full day of Rallycross before final signs of impending doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLmMFk-QXds

That engine is done now: Will it Explode?

There's a chance that I'll put another 2.7L in with the same configuration (996 intake, tune, and exhaust). That would be easy and smart. I'll probably go another way.
Old 03-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #120

Garage
Making some progress, but lots of life going on other than car projects. I want to have the car ready for Rallysprint next weekend. I'll still call that timeline plausible, but everything is going to have to come together perfectly for that to happen. Currently working 12 hour night shifts and working on the car in the afternoon. Lots of stuff to replace while I'm in there.