Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2021, 06:20 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I'm making my way through the thread right now for the first time. I just sent a pic of this to my wife and told her to get ready to fly!
Do it, it's a blast!! There are some really good rallycross tracks/events up by where you live. I got this trophy last week. I beat the national champion on her own track. Own as in she owns it!

Old 01-31-2021, 11:15 PM   #102

Love it!
Old 02-06-2021, 05:45 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Do it, it's a blast!! There are some really good rallycross tracks/events up by where you live. I got this trophy last week. I beat the national champion on her own track. Own as in she owns it!

Congrats on the win! I'm super impressed how quickly you've come to dominate that event!

There's actually a dirt oval track 2 miles from my house. Noone is racing right now because of covid, but damn it's tempting to pop that gate open and go for a spin.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2021, 05:51 AM   #104

Quote:
Congrats on the win! I'm super impressed how quickly you've come to dominate that event!

There's actually a dirt oval track 2 miles from my house. Noone is racing right now because of covid, but damn it's tempting to pop that gate open and go for a spin.

Thanks, growing up and learning how to drive in Alaska probably helped.

Yesterday was my official return to driving the RWD boxster full time and retiring the FWD Golf. I came in first for RWD by a long shot. No one in my class was even close. I came in third overall behind two AWD subarus. I'm really enjoyed RWD. It's soooo much more challenging than FWD. You have to get everything right or you're screwed. Unfortunately the motor was sounding rough 3/4 into the race. I started it up and the lifters were making a noise like they were starving for oil.(at least that's what it sounded like). I shut it down and checked the oil level. It was down to the bottom mark on the digstick. Low but not that low to cause any issues I would think. With nothing to lose I added some oil and went about a half a quart over. The noise went away and I finished my last two runs without any noise or problems. After getting it on the trailer I took a peak underneath. It has a small leak coming from the rear of the engine and front of the engine. I'm hoping it's just the power steering pump overflowing but I suspect worse. I'll get a better look later when I have time. I'm really considering an engine swap to something more robust and cheaper than the M96 motor. I have an Audi 2.7 and two VW 2.5 motors. The 2.5 is becoming a popular motor swap for the 944 and other vehicles. They're dirt cheap and can put out some very impressive numbers.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:41 AM   #105

Quote:
Thanks, growing up and learning how to drive in Alaska probably helped.

Yesterday was my official return to driving the RWD boxster full time and retiring the FWD Golf. I came in first for RWD by a long shot. No one in my class was even close. I came in third overall behind two AWD subarus. I'm really enjoyed RWD. It's soooo much more challenging than FWD. You have to get everything right or you're screwed. Unfortunately the motor was sounding rough 3/4 into the race. I started it up and the lifters were making a noise like they were starving for oil.(at least that's what it sounded like). I shut it down and checked the oil level. It was down to the bottom mark on the digstick. Low but not that low to cause any issues I would think. With nothing to lose I added some oil and went about a half a quart over. The noise went away and I finished my last two runs without any noise or problems. After getting it on the trailer I took a peak underneath. It has a small leak coming from the rear of the engine and front of the engine. I'm hoping it's just the power steering pump overflowing but I suspect worse. I'll get a better look later when I have time. I'm really considering an engine swap to something more robust and cheaper than the M96 motor. I have an Audi 2.7 and two VW 2.5 motors. The 2.5 is becoming a popular motor swap for the 944 and other vehicles. They're dirt cheap and can put out some very impressive numbers.
I have a slow leak coming from the front driver's side of the engine. I suspect it's the PCV valve. I'm gonna hold off replacing it until I pull the intake runners for some clean up and sai delete (mostly cuz I can't even figure out where the damn thing is). I'm not sure about the rear, maybe oil fill tube? That wouldn't drain the level down so low though, unless it was cracked at the block.

+1 to the VAG engine swaps. Dirt cheap and tons of power to be had. My "stage 2" is twin k03 turbos and W/M injection and I'm secretly hoping that my 2.7 explodes so that I have an excuse to shoehorn in a proper motor lol. I know it's very anyi-porsche of me to say it but damn these motors are a pain in the ass for not a ton of bang in return.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:57 AM   #106

Quote:
I know it's very anyi-porsche of me to say it but damn these motors are a pain in the ass for not a ton of bang in return.

Not only that, they're pretty tapped out on power ability. Add any kind of forced induction on them and they go boom very quickly. To add to the discussion we had on your thread about the air filter being inside the trunk and getting it's source of air from the trunk vents. Here is a great picture of why that's not the best idea. On a good note, my motor seems to idle better with a clogged air filter. lol
Old 02-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #107

Quote:
Not only that, they're pretty tapped out on power ability. Add any kind of forced induction on them and they go boom very quickly. To add to the discussion we had on your thread about the air filter being inside the trunk and getting it's source of air from the trunk vents. Here is a great picture of why that's not the best idea. On a good note, my motor seems to idle better with a clogged air filter. lol

I can definitely see how those filters would get dirty quickly if there's nothing between them and the cloud of speed you're kicking up. My money is still on pulling air through the trunk lid. I wonder if a stop gap would be to *cough* duct tape some generic filters in place over the vent openings. Cheap filters will probably breathe just fine and may at least cut down on the dirt storm inside the trunk.

Rough idle is a sign that the design is working! Lean her out and squeeze out that power baby.