Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #81
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I really like that splitter/spoiler in the front bumper. I am planning to totally steal that idea for my 'experimental' car.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:28 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I really like that splitter/spoiler in the front bumper. I am planning to totally steal that idea for my 'experimental' car.
I'll let you know if I feel a difference. I added aero to the golf before the last event and I could feel the car responding better in the higher speed turns. I could also see from pictures taken that the rear of the car was squatting more. I'm a big fan of aero now.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:03 AM   #83

I don't know how I missed all this, but this has just become my all time favorite Boxster picture!
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2020, 05:11 AM   #84
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
I don't know how I missed all this, but this has just become my all time favorite Boxster picture!

I can hear the “yee-hah!” from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 AM   #85
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Right? !

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:51 AM   #86

Quote:
Welcome to the party. You should convert one of yours into a rallycross boxster and join me. There's actually a rallycross track not too far from where you live. One of these days I plan on making it up there for an event. I think there's a big sand dune off-road park up there I'd love to check out while I'm up there.

I got the MK6 struts installed. The top was easy as all I had to do was drill three holes. Fitting the strut into the carrier was another story. I had to mill out and stretch out the strut mount for the strut to slide in. I had to put some heat on the strut bracket to relieve the stress from stretching them out. I've pretty much ruined the uprights if this doesn't work out as there's no going back to stock struts. I made brackets to keep the strut from sliding down during hard impacts and jamming into the CV joint.

It's hard to tell from this picture but it raised the rear by three inches. I'm hoping it settles a little once i drive it around a bit. I have mixed feeling about the extra ground clearance. It's not really needed at my local tracks but might come in handy at other tracks and if I start sprint rallying. I have a feeling it might hurt my times locally.
Old 08-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #87

I've heard from a few people that they think Porsches look like a frog. That stuck with me and while deciding what to do with the boxster, I had an idea. Leapfrog Racing would be a great name for a rallycross boxster. With that i googled tree frog and came across a picture of a red-eyed tree frog. I liked the color combo of the frog and decided to go with that.

Seeing that I already painted the car with an oil-based paint, I had to stick with oil-based. There's not a lot of choices of colors when it comes to oil-based exterior paint. Sherwin Williams can mix colors but I was told they couldn't do it in anything super bright. I went with John Deere green for the body and allis chalmers orange for the wheels. I installed a rear wing to put some down force on those rear tires. Getting power to the ground should help a lot. I'm waiting on wheel studs before I can mount the wheels. I'm also waiting on the paint to cure a few days before I install the graphics I have for it. In the meantime, here's a little preview.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #88

Forgot to add that I reinforced the mounting points for the taillights. The plastic on these cars is getting very brittle and I've already had one light fall off from the harsh vibration. JBWeld to the rescue
Old 08-28-2020, 12:41 AM   #89
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Looking good, Woody! That is inspiring...

Would these wheels be beneficial for rallycross or are they better for (extreme) off roading? lol
Old 08-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Looking good, Woody! That is inspiring...
Would these wheels be beneficial for rallycross or are they better for (extreme) off roading? lol
LOL, I think those might be better for the mud. With no ground clearance though, you might have to floor it and hydroplane across.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:18 AM   #91

Now that the air intake is inside the trunk, I lifted the trunk a little in the front so more air would enter.
Here's mostly the final livery. I'm not dead set on the eyes yet. They look better in person but I was going to see what the general opinion on them is before I decide to keep them or paint over them.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #92

Garage
I love it, including the eyes
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #93

Very cool

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:45 AM   #94

Garage
Hell Yeah!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #95
WALDMEISTER

Garage
hahaha...gotta love that little green leap frog
Old 09-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #96

dont love the eyes but everything else in this thread is PURE AWESOMENESS
chromecarz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:24 PM   #97

Thanks guys. The new livery is a crowd pleaser. Last weekend there was a huge off-road event held at a park northeast of Fort Worth. There was dirt bike racing, side-by-side racing, a Jeep sponsored 4x4 event and a rallycross. My boxster was the first vehicle you would see as you entered the park. I got tons of thumbs up and saw lots of people taking pictures of my car. It felt good to hear so many people like the new look. Beyond the looks, the suspension and engine modifications performed excellent. I raced the golf the first day(came in third) and raced the boxster the second day(came in second and had the fastest run of the day). I'm in the lead for points and was hesitant to race the boxster as I wasn't sure how I'd do. This track was rough and it beat the crap out of cars. The track condition was one that most of us hadn't seen before. Some areas would pack down, but other areas would become huge deep sand pits that would cause cars to almost get airborne as they got out of it. The race was tons of fun though. Here's some pictures and commentary.

This is the 2020 scca national champion rallycross car. I beat it both days. This is a great shot of the car coming out of one of those holes that got deeper and deeper as the event went on.

Here's me going through a hole in my golf and the damage afterwards

I don't have many pics of the boxster. The first is me crashing the jeep area with my boxster.

Here's the damage done to the boxster. Not too bad, all things considered.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9veLfHzPzvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3keZ6UM2E
Not sure if this will work but here's a video of the miata and boxster
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9veLfHzPzvI[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md3keZ6UM2E[/youtube]

Last edited by itsnotanova; 10-06-2020 at 03:52 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #99

I forgot to add one picture. The guys thought I could use a new shifter on the boxster and added this one. I was afraid to shift it too much and took it off before the race

Last edited by Matt at Pelican Parts; 06-05-2023 at 11:54 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I put a 3.4 intake on a 2.7, jumped a boxster a few times and not one comment? I feel like that old guy drinking a beer in an empty bar.
I'm making my way through the thread right now for the first time. I just sent a pic of this to my wife and told her to get ready to fly!