Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:59 PM   #81

No warranty

will prevent a problem, they only pay to fix after the fact...if in fact they do pay off at all.

Porsche does not sell any warranty that Porsche backs and sells through a dealer for a car out of warranty beyond the dealer sponsored and Porsche backed CPO warranty which extends the original warranty two years or to 100k miles whichever comes first.

There are third party parts which are designed/intended to prevent the sort of problems that have been seen. You can even buy an engine almost totally rebuilt with such parts. Expensive.

Do these problems happen, yes. To every engine, not even close. Remember there are 200k plus Boxsters plus 996s with the same engine. Some would have you think the number of failures are double digit percentages, I think the number is much less. No consolation if it is your engine it happens to. But the problem free ones don't post so it seems everyone is having problems because those that do do post.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #82

Just over three years and 20k miles (50k total) on my 97 and I have had very few issues. Engine mount, new glass top, cleaned the MAF and other basic annual maintenance required on any car. Currently I am dealing with a broken key to my wheel locks. I drove over to the Porsche dealer and they removed the locking nuts for free. I had a great conversation with the mechanic. Can't believe what a fantastic group of people I've found in the Porsche world.

My Boxster has been much better as a car than the 1988 911 it replaced. My wife likes to ride in it and will even drive it occasionally. The A/C and suspension is much more useable than the 911 and I am a much better driver in the Boxster.

I'll admit the reason I bought the car was the initial outlay was so reasonable. I agree with earlier posters that it's not really the purchase of the car you should be thinking about, it's the expense of the continued ownership.

Quit waiting for the other shoe to drop, get out and drive. If you are unfortunate enough to have problems, make the best and enjoy the adventure!
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #83

My 98' Boxster

I purchased my 98' Boxster in early 2000 with only 1,700 miles on it... it still had the brand new car smell in it. I paid $44,000 for it and was instantly in love! Never had anything big happen besides normal repairs, tires, ha, ha, etc... Did have the ignition switch replaced 3 times though. In 2008 I took it in 5 times for the check engine light, it kept coming on and I felt there was some loss of power. The first 3 times there was no compression in certain cylinders, which cost a pretty penny each time. The last two to three times I was told they couldn't figure it out and just reset the check engine light and returned the car to me. All this time I was getting scared because I felt there was something causing loss of power and vibration. December 15th, 2008 my engine blew up, so sad! Because of the economy, for the first time I was unable to pull the cash needed to fix it. I was told a valve spring broke. This month I was able to save the money needed to fix my baby. In my search for a motor and speaking with porsche people, was told about the IMS. I did order the part from, LN Engineering and it is being put in the car but had I known about it I would have had it replaced when I replaced my clutch. I wouldn't be $7,000+, so far, into this problem that could have been prevented. I wouldn't trade my car for anything, but I would have paid the money to retrofit the IMS in a heart beat, at my expense, had I known about it. I am very used to, everytime I have my car serviced plan on $1,000+, but by time I finish this I will be close to $10,000. Come on! Porsche should have at the very least made us aware that there was an issue that could be fixed. My car had 77K miles on it and the motor I bought has 39K, with the new part I am hoping for many years of happy driving. Just a little disallusioned with Porsche, shame on them!

Last edited by Leslie Beauchemin; 05-03-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Leslie Beauchemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #84

I agree with Leslie about Porsche's shame. This defect is a matter of poor design and has nothing to do with driving style, care or maintenance. They should be extending the warrantee on IMS for 100K.
Hey, this is not a Chevy Colbalt.....for these prices we expect a higher degree of quality, engineering and loyalty from the manufacturer.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #85
dbw

I bought a used bosxter from a dealer last year and have cpo warrenty till May of 2011. Does anyone know of extended warrenties for sale in canada?
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #86

Talking Buying a used Boxster

If I, or anyone I know, were to buy a used Boxster, I would call LNEngineering.com and order the retrofit IMS for about $600 and have it immediately replaced. It is a easy fix, especially if your due for a clutch, or take a chance and wait until your clutch needs to be replaced. $600 or $10,000+, I say do the math. Now we know what the problem is and how to fix it, get it fixed before you lose your motor. But that is just my opinion... wish I had this information before I had to go through the heartbreak of being without my car for a year and a half. I bought my car because at the time it was a great deal and I thought that my kids would be out of the house soon and it would be my little treat to myself. As soon as my last child moved out and I was ready to make some noise, my niose maker broke. Now I have a year+ to make up for so if ya'll see me, don't expect me to stop! Gotta go!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw
I bought a used bosxter from a dealer last year and have cpo warrenty till May of 2011. Does anyone know of extended warrenties for sale in canada?
3 years ago when I bought my '01 used, I got a non-CPO extended warranty from the Porshe dealer. I can renew it before it expires or I'm out of luck. As far as I know you can't buy an extended warranty in Canada other than from a dealer. Hopefully I'm wrong and things have changed...

Having said that, I don't think I'll renew. So far the warranty has been used once, for an A/C compressor replacement. And that was a lot less than what the warranty cost.

I think I'll put my money into an IMS upgrade instead
Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
3 years ago when I bought my '01 used, I got a non-CPO extended warranty from the Porshe dealer. I can renew it before it expires or I'm out of luck. As far as I know you can't buy an extended warranty in Canada other than from a dealer. Hopefully I'm wrong and things have changed...

Having said that, I don't think I'll renew. So far the warranty has been used once, for an A/C compressor replacement. And that was a lot less than what the warranty cost.

I think I'll put my money into an IMS upgrade instead

I think you just made a great decision!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
I agree with Leslie about Porsche's shame. This defect is a matter of poor design and has nothing to do with driving style, care or maintenance. They should be extending the warrantee on IMS for 100K.
Hey, this is not a Chevy Colbalt.....for these prices we expect a higher degree of quality, engineering and loyalty from the manufacturer.

You know what is funny? I called Porsche when my engine blew and they told me that my car was a couple of month's past 10 years old and that was why they wouldn't back it. So that leads me to believe if your car is under 10 years old, you might get some backing from Porsche? If anyone has tried to contact them, please let me know the outcome!
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #90

I've been in cars with blown engines....

Ford didn't pay for the Model A engine that was 30 years old.

Chrysler didn't pay for the Mitsubishi engine they used that had 100k miles.

Alfa didn't pay for the Giulietta engine that was 5 years old.

I don't expect Porsche to pay for the 9-10 year old engine that has 56k in my '01 if it fails. I paid a lot less than the original owner and I chose to take the risk of that brand, that car and being not under warranty when I paid that low price.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #91

I don't expect Porsche to pay, just wish they had let owners know there was a problem so they could fix it! They knew the part was faulty and did nothing to help their loyal owners prevent it. Yes, I knew this was an expensive car to maintain before I bought it but there is no reason for throwing my hard earned money away when I could have taken care of it for my regular $1,000 to $2,000 services. I have taken awsome care of my car for the last 10 years. Every time there was a noise, reduction in power, etc... I took it to the mechanic, never missed my 3,000 mile oil change, tune ups, etc. It just would have been the right thing for them to give us a little heads up! If you don't understand that then I guess when it happens to you and you find out the manufacturer could have prevented that $10,000 to $15,000 bill, then maybe you will be a little butt hurt too! I work very hard for my toys and I pay for their maintenance but this was a bit extreme!

Sorry if I rambled but this is a very touchy subject right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
Ford didn't pay for the Model A engine that was 30 years old.

Chrysler didn't pay for the Mitsubishi engine they used that had 100k miles.

Alfa didn't pay for the Giulietta engine that was 5 years old.

I don't expect Porsche to pay for the 9-10 year old engine that has 56k in my '01 if it fails. I paid a lot less than the original owner and I chose to take the risk of that brand, that car and being not under warranty when I paid that low price.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #92

By the way, I would replace your IMS before your motor blows! Just giving you the heads up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Beauchemin
I don't expect Porsche to pay, just wish they had let owners know there was a problem so they could fix it! They knew the part was faulty and did nothing to help their loyal owners prevent it. Yes, I knew this was an expensive car to maintain before I bought it but there is no reason for throwing my hard earned money away when I could have taken care of it for my regular $1,000 to $2,000 services. I have taken awsome care of my car for the last 10 years. Every time there was a noise, reduction in power, etc... I took it to the mechanic, never missed my 3,000 mile oil change, tune ups, etc. It just would have been the right thing for them to give us a little heads up! If you don't understand that then I guess when it happens to you and you find out the manufacturer could have prevented that $10,000 to $15,000 bill, then maybe you will be a little butt hurt too! I work very hard for my toys and I pay for their maintenance but this was a bit extreme!

Sorry if I rambled but this is a very touchy subject right now!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:55 AM   #93

Mike is a defender. That is his right.

I can say as a old timer around here, the Box engine has had more than a few design flaws and the mothership in Germany is loathe to admit it or step up to the plate in public.

Denial is a bad way to run a business IMHO.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #94

Mike is

a defender of the notion that we are responsible for our decisions. We choose the brand, model, model year, car and either did or did not do the in advance of purchase research to support that decision.

Some cars have problems, some don't. Life is full of chances. Buy a used car out of warranty and you are subject to those chances. You didn't pay full price to the manufacturer and you knew the car was only warrantied for so long.

Mike has also posted on the web for years a page describing in detail the common problems Porsche has had with their Boxster cars. Also a page on the best and worst, in his opinion, features of the Boxster. They are available to anyone contemplating a purchase. Those pages have been repeatedly updated as more is known about a specific issue or as he sees a problem reported repeatedly. He has had public and private conversations with those working on some of the described solutions in an attempt to better understand so he can describe a problem, its probability and consequences and the benefits of a potential solution.

So he isn't sure what he is accused of defending. It certainly isn't Porsche...he loves their car but publishes a list of problems and gives alternate sources of parts and lists indie mechanics for others to benefit from.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #95

Mr Beauchemin,
Looking again at your original post, I see that the problem you had with your engine was a broken valve spring. I fail to see what your comments regarding Porsche paying for failed IMS bearings (after the fact) have to do with your $7,000 repair bill - valve springs and IMS bearings are poles apart...
Upgrading your IMS bearing would not have helped the valve spring failure.
Or am I missing something here??

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 05-05-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #96
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Drive hard, have fun, upgrade whatever breaks, enjoy the honor of driving one of the world's finest handling cars.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #97

Just got the engine apart. Pictures tell all, the second picture is whats left of the piston. Porsche doesn't care because its out of warranty. Engine has 75100 miles on it and has been "stealership" maintained since new.
The notorious number 6 cylinder crack and EPIC FAIL.
Not sure if I might send the block out and have 'Nicky" cylinders put in.
hosickjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Drive hard, have fun, upgrade whatever breaks, enjoy the honor of driving one of the world's finest handling cars.
"Honor." Never seen the bar set as low.

Last edited by jotoole; 06-29-2010 at 08:12 AM.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #99

986S Engine Porosity Issue

Hello to all,

I am new to the board. I have a 2002 986S that I ordered new in 2001. I use it as a daily driver and have over 132,000.0 miles on it. It has always been dealer maintained and I was just given the news that I need a new engine. Not from wear or the high milage but because my block is pourous and I have coolent leaking into the oil. From my research on the blogs it looks like this is not uncommon in the earlier 986 (1997 - 1999) but has not appeared in the later models until now! Porsche NA and the Dealership have offered 10% each on the parts and the Dealership added and additional 10% on labor. From what I see this appears to be a manuafacturing defect.

Anyone have any additional comments.

Regards,

Mike
MKlasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlasing
I have a 2002 986S that I ordered new in 2001. I use it as a daily driver and have over 132,000.0 miles on it. It has always been dealer maintained and I was just given the news that I need a new engine. Not from wear or the high milage but because my block is pourous and I have coolent leaking into the oil.
Seems odd that a porous block would wait 132k before starting to leak. The porosity must have led to a crack.