986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Shortlived Boxster engines survey (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16822-shortlived-boxster-engines-survey.html)

Bobiam 05-18-2008 02:00 PM

Shortlived Boxster engines survey

There has been some recent discussion on another thread about Boxster engines blowing at anywhere form 20K-120K miles.
If this severe problem occurs during the warrantee period, I imagine that Porsche puts in a new engine and you are happily on your way.

HOWEVER, it this happens out-of-warrantee, it is a financial disaster with reported costs of $9000-12000. On older cars, this is 2/3 ot 1/2 of the value of the car!!

If this happened to you, please, please tell us......the milage when it occured, the major fault causing the engine failure, what it cost to replace the engine, and WHAT PORSCHE DID TO MAKE THIS RIGHT. If Porsche paid for replacement of your out-of-warrantee engine, what sort of negotiation, threats, begging, etc was involved with your success at recovering from the loss.

From what we've been hearing this can happen to anyone with any age or milage engine. The experience that you have gained may help the next unfortunate blown engine owner to recover without having to sell the farm or their first born!

Thanks..........

smartrepair 05-18-2008 02:42 PM

blown engine

Hi

My Boxter MY98 blew with 65000 miles. A broken cylinder liner. The car was out of warranty, Porsche did nothing. Found a used Carrera 3.4 which I instaled by myself...

Well that engine bent a crankshaft!

Regards

Kare, Spain

kabel 05-18-2008 04:13 PM

Haven't we done this already... :confused:

Poll: RMS and Engine problem questionaire

Bobiam 05-18-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
Haven't we done this already... :confused:

Poll: RMS and Engine problem questionaire

No....This survey does not relate specificly to an RMS, although if that was the reason for engine failure it would fit here.
The real reason for this survey is to establish some precedence with Porsche in order to exert leverage if we suffer such an engine failure............ and to understand better what is causing these failures resulting in engine replacement.

kabel 05-19-2008 05:18 AM

Ah, well, it may have turned into mostly an RMS specific thread however the thread is titled:
"RMS and Engine problem questionaire" and one of the poll questions is:
Have you experienced an engine failure (yes/no)
There are also threads of this nature on Rennlist and Renntech for anyone that is looking for additional user data with porsche engine failures.

Bobiam, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just hate seeing multiple threads on the same subject.

I keep my fingers crossed and touch wood, my nearly 100k MY99 is doing fine.

Bobiam 05-19-2008 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
Ah, well, it may have turned into mostly an RMS specific thread however the thread is titled:
"RMS and Engine problem questionaire" and one of the poll questions is:
Have you experienced an engine failure (yes/no)
There are also threads of this nature on Rennlist and Renntech for anyone that is looking for additional user data with porsche engine failures.

Bobiam, don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, just hate seeing multiple threads on the same subject.

I keep my fingers crossed and touch wood, my nearly 100k MY99 is doing fine.

This thread was created to gather serious and up-to-date information about issues that can cost readers many thousand $s. Perhaps there is some redundancy, but there is little harm in sharing info about major misfortunes to help fellow readers/members. If it doesn't apply to someone, they need not read it.
Bob

brimech 05-19-2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobiam
This thread was created to gather serious and up-to-date information about issues that can cost readers many thousand $s. Perhaps there is some redundancy, but there is little harm in sharing info about major misfortunes to help fellow readers/members. If it doesn't apply to someone, they need not read it.
Bob

I agree. Please share your stories.

easyc 05-19-2008 07:51 AM

2001 986S... cracked cylinder sleeve at 78K (out of warranty), while on the track. Engine proceeded to hydro-lock, which caused it to throw a rod and crack two exhaust valves... Car had ~1500 track miles on it since it hit 70K... Had a faint clicking sound under acceleration before the death... It is currently being replaced with a 3.6... estimated cost ?,???.??

neverinxs 05-19-2008 04:16 PM

Engine Failures - Which ones?

I currently have a 2000 Boxster that has been a great car. I have recently found a very well optioned 1999, w/19K on it. I have heard stories about catastrophic engine failures on early cars. Was it prone to the 1999 model year? I also understand that Porsche may have corrected the problem in 1999. If they did what vin's were produced after the correction. I don't want to sink a good chunck of change in a low mile 1999 only to be saddled with an engine. Can anyone give me the low down?

vipola 05-19-2008 04:45 PM

I don't know about that engine faillure batch you are talking.. I got a 1999 boxster with (120 000km) and it's running very well..

Just don't forget that the 1999 got a 2.5 engine instead of a 2.7 and that a too low milleage could hide something :)

good luck

JCL12 05-19-2008 06:11 PM

The 2 big sources of engine failure I have heard of:

1) Sleeve Slip Failure - Only on early models which have some engine defects "repaired" (instead of reworked to print). I think 1997 (USA) is the only year you need to avoid for this

2) IMS (intermediate shaft) failure - ALL models up to and including todays

Sadly, this crap is a worry we all must deal with and just hope it never happens. Following subsequent revisions to the design of the engines (minor tweaks/revs) it is clear porsche knows of the defect and its possible affects, yet they make no real acknowledgement and provide on official relief. (Think about what mazda did for almost all the RX8s).

Makes me strongly consider never buying a Pcar again, but the RMR and the label is such a draw :mad:

FWIW, I would never buy a 1999 with 20k miles. That is too low - I would almost be more comfortable if it had 40K worry free miles. The 20k milage on a '99 isn't worth the premium at all

Brucelee 05-19-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJMeredith
This is an unfortunate first post...

I purchased a 2000 Boxster S with 26,000 miles from a local Porsche dealer (Tysons Porsche in Vienna, VA). It was a one owner car and was IMMACULATE (the guy traded it on a 2008 Boxster). After a day and a half and about 200 miles, I discovered oil in the coolant! I was hoping that it was just the oil cooler, but I was pretty sure the engine was dead. I immediately took it back to the dealer service department and they eventually confirmed that it was a catastrophic engine failure, but I never discovered the exact cause.

The dealer stood behind the car and offered me a direct exchange for a 2001 with 28,000 miles and far more options (or a full refund). I walked away VERY happy with the Porsche dealer and service department. I have no idea if the dealer had any recourse with Porsche (or the first owner) since they got stuck with it.

I now find myself regularly peering into the coolant reservoir of the new one...

Chris

I can understand your trepidation. I guess all you can do is make sure you keep the oil and coolant clean.

BTW-If it were me, I would use Red Line oil. It can't hurt.

saaber 05-19-2008 06:46 PM

check out this article

describes the failures and this company even remanufactures to eliminate the problem. Too bad they are in England. A good read.

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/Total911_July06.pdf

and this one:

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/911PW_Apr06.pdf

saaber 05-19-2008 08:21 PM

Engine failure articles

Possibly the wrong spot for this but these articles describe the engine failures in good detail. A good read.

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/Total911_July06.pdf

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/911PW_Apr06.pdf

baseball 05-20-2008 03:27 AM

Great post saaber!! I only wish that company was in the states - if they were and I suffered an engine failure, I'd use it as an excuse to go with their 4.0 liter rebuild.

Brucelee 05-20-2008 07:25 AM

You know, this whole thing just floors me.

This is a Boxer engine, not very exotic nor complicated. They have been making the same fundamental design for what, 60 yrs?

How tough can it be to make it robust and somewhat easier to repair.

The Subaru guys seem to have figured it out.

easyc 05-20-2008 10:32 AM

Well actually bruce... the boxster M96 is a new engine for porsche..... watercooled! :cool:

Brucelee 05-20-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easyc
Well actually bruce... the boxster M96 is a new engine for porsche..... watercooled! :cool:

Yes, I know. But if you look at the basics of the engine, hey, this is not rocket science.

If you have to make the block heavier to accomodate a tougher alloy, DO IT.

If you have to beef up the shafts and/or pistons, rods etc. DO IT.

We should not have to put up with this bad boy grenading whenever! :confused:

maestro 05-20-2008 05:59 PM

I think it's fairly simple to explain. They put their crap in the cheap cars to save money, knowing they'll sell based on their name.

Cloudsurfer 06-28-2008 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maestro
I think it's fairly simple to explain. They put their crap in the cheap cars to save money, knowing they'll sell based on their name.

Unfortunately so true.

On the other hand, it is semi surprising that no one in the states is rebuilding these motors yet. There are plenty of shops with the equipment necessary to do what Autofarm is doing.

The one question I do ask about the "Silsleeve" conversion, is cooling. By running a much thicker sleeve, they are effectively reducing cylinder cooling. I do love their solution for the IMS problem, however.

Patrick