986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Shortlived Boxster engines survey (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/16822-shortlived-boxster-engines-survey.html)

BruceH 08-16-2012 09:05 AM

Not too bad at all.

tony_fury 08-21-2012 09:35 PM

Update:
LN Engineering IMS bearing update installed, dual row bearing.
Clutch was down to the rivets. New clutch feels like a dream.
Coolant reservoir and oil filler neck hose replaced.
Car run's excellent..

Very impressed with Scientific Automotive..
Quality shop and very communicative prior to work.
It was refreshing dealing with Jack..

Tony

BruceH 08-22-2012 07:04 AM

Glad to hear! Time for a drive!

greenandtan 09-21-2012 09:02 PM

Rx

Just like the Doctor ordered! :cheers:

lyle.woodard@aes.com 09-25-2012 05:01 AM

2000 Boxster S, oil/water intermix of serious quantity at 48 K. Third owner so no help from Porsche, but dealer did manage to fleece me for a considerable sum without finding anything. Service manager swore that that mess in the drained oil, looking like a chocolate milk shake couldn't be intermix because "intermix would separate if left to sit for a day". Obviously knew next to nothing about the subject! Guess some good came out of that, I know now not to ever go to the dealer. Long story short(er), tear down showed a cracked head.

Had the engine remanufactured at Flat 6 Enterprises, with 3.6 l displacement, and all other Porsche design flaws engineered out. With IPD intake and Fabspeed exhaust, and my old 3.2 softronics flash it goes solidly quick! Cost was more than the car is worth for resale, but actually I am so happy with the work I really don't care.

Bruce In Philly 10-02-2012 01:22 PM

Two engine failures

Hi,

I just joined this forum, and this is my first post on this board, I usually post on another. Just thought I would spread the love.

I just had my second engine fail due to IMS failures in my 2000 Boxster S with 197K miles. I purchased the car new in 2000.

The first engine went at 47K miles (replaced under warranty), and the second with 150K miles on it at 197K. I think the car is morte, kaput, fssst! On top of all this, I just had a service three weeks ago that cost me $5,500 with new rear tires, control arms, oxygen sensor, coolant tank, some other stuff.... Can't make this stuff up.

I am looking into replacing with a Raby engine, or just buy a new or used car. Hard to put that kind of money into such an old chassis. I am really torn as the car is in fantastic shape. This all just happened last week.

To see what my car looked like at 175K miles, click here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101334518573666809964/MyCarZainoMaguiarsCompound#5540699417049830594

mr.drama 10-19-2012 05:24 PM

goodbye boxster

Sudden failure @ 122K(stretched timing chain?)on a much loved '97 that I owned since 2000.I know many of you will think''122K?-what's he ********************ing about? My biggest mistake was a decision to keep it as a ''third car''three years,and 10K (Mileage and dollars)ago.Was not sorry to see it go away when the options were 19K for a crate engine or 6-7K at my indy for used 2.5's with 70-80K and who knows what histories.And you still have the early 986 ''time bomb'' thing going on.The dealer ''gave me a break" and only charged me $765- to tell me my engine was shot.

shadrach74 10-20-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.drama (Post 309937)
Sudden failure @ 122K(stretched timing chain?)on a much loved '97 that I owned since 2000.I know many of you will think''122K?-what's he ********************ing about? My biggest mistake was a decision to keep it as a ''third car''three years,and 10K (Mileage and dollars)ago.Was not sorry to see it go away when the options were 19K for a crate engine or 6-7K at my indy for used 2.5's with 70-80K and who knows what histories.And you still have the early 986 ''time bomb'' thing going on.The dealer ''gave me a break" and only charged me $765- to tell me my engine was shot.

Drama,

You likely could have put a used 3.2 in for around $6K. I think that the low displacement engines actually cost more because of increased demand from the spec racing series.

Throwing an IMSB retrofit in an engine that's out of the car is about a 2 hr Job at most...

shadrach74 10-20-2012 07:15 AM

2002 986 S 52K on the clock. IMSB retrofit installed last week. I was told the old bearing looked fine, but I will reserve judgment until I see it.

mr.drama 10-22-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadrach74 (Post 309987)
Drama,

You likely could have put a used 3.2 in for around $6K. I think that the low displacement engines actually cost more because of increased demand from the spec racing series.

Throwing an IMSB retrofit in an engine that's out of the car is about a 2 hr Job at most...

Thanks for the input-$6K (plus labor?)I'm sorry no one gave me that option-I was led to believe that the later Post'2000 engines were not compatible w/my '97 for several reasons ECU,throttle ,etc.Either way it's gone @ this point :(

Bobiam 10-30-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly (Post 308018)
Hi,

I just joined this forum, and this is my first post on this board, I usually post on another. Just thought I would spread the love.

I just had my second engine fail due to IMS failures in my 2000 Boxster S with 197K miles. I purchased the car new in 2000.

The first engine went at 47K miles (replaced under warranty), and the second with 150K miles on it at 197K. I think the car is morte, kaput, fssst! On top of all this, I just had a service three weeks ago that cost me $5,500 with new rear tires, control arms, oxygen sensor, coolant tank, some other stuff.... Can't make this stuff up.

I am looking into replacing with a Raby engine, or just buy a new or used car. Hard to put that kind of money into such an old chassis. I am really torn as the car is in fantastic shape. This all just happened last week.

To see what my car looked like at 175K miles, click here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101334518573666809964/MyCarZainoMaguiarsCompound#5540699417049830594

That car is incredible looking. You do have a serious dilemma. That Raby engine would be great but the chassis really is too old for that investment. I think you should set aside and wait for an opportunity to install a good used engine, then sell it. Or sell it as is to someone willing to pay a decent price for it's good looks. A car this old has lots of things waiting to go wrong.

san rensho 10-30-2012 02:28 PM

A Raby engine is $15-20K. You can buy good, lowish miles 2002-2004 Boxsters all day for that money. Sell your car as a roller for about 3k or part it out for more and move on.

Another option is to get a used motor for about 3-5k, put in a new IMSB and keep your car, since you have recently put so much money into it. I guess that would be your cheapest option but with some risk since it will have a used motor.

kozboxsters 11-14-2012 06:46 PM

2001 Boxster S bearing

I just made a request for getting on a schedule for an intermediate bearing replacement on my 2001 Boxster S. My S was purchased a little over three years ago with 1,434 miles on it. It came out of the dealer just shy of $62,000 then the owner spent another $6,000 adding new rims, special exhaust from Porsche and so forth. His enjoyment was accessorizing an already beautiful car. The car now has just over 21,000 miles on it and still looks and works beautifully. Every day the value of the car goes down, but my thought is that another $2,000 or whatever they estimate is worth the enjoyment this car brings. It makes me sick to think I would have to spend $85,000 to get another full leather red interior and all the other things that are on this car just to get a new 2013. For all I know, they still have intermediate shaft bearing problems and if that is the case, it is inexcusable. Wish me luck.http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1352950976.jpg

bmarti13 11-23-2012 10:33 AM

To buy or not to buy

Sorry about sending this as a reply, but I can't figure out how to post an original thread. I am a rookie user to this site.....

I found a 2000 Boxster S with 9700 miles. Car has been garaged in Arizona with original owner. This car is upgraded like crazy and I have not been able to find one even close. (Midnight blue metallic, beige interior, upgraded wheels, porsche emblem stamped in leather seats, guages colered to match interior, comes with aero kit, etc...) Middle aged Scottsdale couple that drove the car on weekends and then lost interest.
Car is immaculate inside and out. Owner drove the car about 8500 miles in the first 10 years, and then only about 1200 miles since 2010.
In 2010 he had to replace a siezed fuel pump, had oil change, brake system flush, new tires, etc... I assume due to the fact that it has been sitting.

I verified the service history with the dealership and he has been pretty good on getting recommended services (although not perfect). Service guy told me that there are no prior issues reported on the car, services refused, major repairs, etc....

I test drove the car and it drove great. Although I did not push it very hard. Maybe got it up to 50 mph on side streets. Shifts fine, no rattles, noises, etc...

Question is: Would you guys buy this car? I can buy it for about 20,000 (maybe a little lower).
At first, my gut reaction was that this was a rare find. However, I have been reading so much about cars with 'too low' mileage, and this has scared me a bit.
Any help would be appreciated.

BruceH 11-23-2012 01:57 PM

I would get an independent PPI and then use what ever is found, if anything, to talk down the price. Plan on upgrading the IMS right away and then try to stop grinning after realizing you just bought a barely used Boxster:D I would buy it in a heartbeat:cheers:

Slidewhiz 12-09-2012 03:20 AM

If you want to replace just the oil filter, do you have to change oil or do you lose any at all by removing the filter. Yes, I'm a novice new owner of a 04 Boxter. 60,000 miles. Runs great.

kjc2050 12-09-2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slidewhiz (Post 319125)
If you want to replace just the oil filter, do you have to change oil or do you lose any at all by removing the filter. Yes, I'm a novice new owner of a 04 Boxter. 60,000 miles. Runs great.

You'll lose about 4-6 oz. of oil when you remove the filter housing. Yes, you can simply change the filter if you wish... I am assuming that the oil has low miles, but you'd like to get a look at the filter, just for peace of mind, yes? If so, go for it. Install a new filter including the gasket on the housing.

Michiganstar 02-07-2013 11:13 PM

My IMS failed two weeks ago on a 70k 2003 Boxster S. No audible warning - was running like a Swiss watch then bang and the horrible sound of ball bearings bouncing around your engines internals. The car has a full and extensive service history and was 6k away from its next service.
I look forward to the rebuilt motor giving me some peace of mind.

Ninety9 986 02-16-2013 04:12 PM

IMS Failure - Caught in the nick of time

1 Attachment(s)
I'm a new owner of a 99 base 986, 39k miles with tiptronic. It was a garage queen that wasn't very well maintained (or driven enough). She developed a RMS leak after my first track day, so I decided to bite the bullet and do the LN IMS upgrade. After removing the seal from the old bearing and draining out the oil, it looks like I dodged a bullet.

Jake Raby 02-16-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninety9 986 (Post 327842)
I'm a new owner of a 99 base 986, 39k miles with tiptronic. It was a garage queen that wasn't very well maintained (or driven enough). She developed a RMS leak after my first track day, so I decided to bite the bullet and do the LN IMS upgrade. After removing the seal from the old bearing and draining out the oil, it looks like I dodged a bullet.

Yep, stage 3 failure right there, folks! Had you not ripped the seal off and washed the debris and oil out that bearing would have "felt" fine.

You dodged a bullet for sure.. The only reason that the bearing is still together is because its a dual row... A single would have already completed stage 4 failure and you'd be done..