Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #1

Newbie Introduction and Convincing Parents

Hello everyone, I've been interested in Boxsters for awhile, and just a few days ago I found these forums. So far it's been very helpful and enjoyable.

I also have a question I'd like to ask. I'm 21, in college, and have never had a car that is truly mine. After bringing this up to my mom, she offered to pay for part of a used car that I'll enjoy. Great! The only catch is that she will only help pay for it if she approves of the car. I would love a Boxster the most, but somehow I know she will be very skeptical - she's one of those people who think SUV's are the only safe cars out there, etc. Luckily I have convinced her that a Lexus IS300 is safe and practical if the Boxster doesn't work out.

Anyway, what sort of suggestions does everyone have about convincing her that the Boxster can be practical/safe? ie: cargo space, weather, collisions, maintenence, insurance, etc.

Thanks so much, and hopefully I will be around to enjoy the Boxster with all of you!

-Slayer

Last edited by Slayer; 02-22-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
Anyway, what sort of suggestions does everyone have about convincing her that the Boxster can be practical/safe? ie: cargo space, weather, collisions, maintenence, insurance, etc.
-Slayer
Mmm...well,

Insurance is more expensive.

Good cargo space for a 2 seater, WAY more than a 350z, not nearly as much as the IS.

Maintenence is really expensive, might as well own a 911-about the same maintenence costs.

It does have side airbags but an IS will be safer because of the roof brings more support to the structure, more safety behind you and in front.

Handles good!

I think you'll need to get a little sneeky on this one.

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:43 PM   #3

Here are some pics of rollovers. Of note is "No Injuries". These cars actually have as strong or stronger roof structures via front cowl and roll bars as any car out today.
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/boxster/boxster_121102_005.shtml
Car:
Porsche Boxster
Description:
Driver Comments: "These pictures were from my accident on July 4 2002 in my 2002 Porsche Boxster. My girlfriend and I were going to my parents house out in the country. As usual I was pushing the car to the limits. When going around a corner we lost control, spun out, went through the road, up an embankment and then kicked back out to the road upside down."

Injury Report:
No injuries

Note the condition of the windshield here:
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/boxster/boxster_20030820_001.shtml
Look at ragtop here as well:
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/boxster/boxster_20030820_002.shtml
Car:
Porsche Boxster
Description:
Rolled 2-3 times

More info on chassis materials of construction are here:
http://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/normal.jpg?pool=usa&type=image&id=bo-detail-safety-passivesafety-xl&lang=none&filetype=normal
Also look here under "Passive Safety": http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/boxster/boxster/indetail/safety/

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #4

Yeah. I'd definately mention how much cheaper it is than say a Ferrari. Insurance is definately cheaper than a Viper. Maintainence costs are certainly less expensive than the Space Shuttle. It's safer than a bicycle on the highway. It gets better gas mileage than a Ford Excursion. Nearly every state has at least ONE certified Porsche mechanic. She won't have to worry about you hauling around 5 of your best friends (note: find ONE best friend). Oh, it's got more storage space than my Harley... Well, maybe not. But it DEFINiTELY has more cylinders.

Seriously, I think it's great you're thinking of a Boxster. But, I'm sorry, I just struggle with this as a First Vehicle particularly if you can't actually afford it yourself. How is this really YOURS if you're not actually paying for all of it? Does that mean that your Mom's on the hook for insurance and/or any maintenance or repairs? Can YOU afford it? If so - then GO for it. If not, you really need to move on.

Hey - just my opinion. I truly wish you the best and hope you get a car you love and enjoy.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Yeah. I'd definately mention how much cheaper it is than say a Ferrari. Insurance is definately cheaper than a Viper. Maintainence costs are certainly less expensive than the Space Shuttle. It's safer than a bicycle on the highway. It gets better gas mileage than a Ford Excursion. Nearly every state has at least ONE certified Porsche mechanic. She won't have to worry about you hauling around 5 of your best friends (note: find ONE best friend). Oh, it's got more storage space than my Harley... Well, maybe not. But it DEFINiTELY has more cylinders.

Seriously, I think it's great you're thinking of a Boxster. But, I'm sorry, I just struggle with this as a First Vehicle particularly if you can't actually afford it yourself. How is this really YOURS if you're not actually paying for all of it? Does that mean that your Mom's on the hook for insurance and/or any maintenance or repairs? Can YOU afford it? If so - then GO for it. If not, you really need to move on.

Hey - just my opinion. I truly wish you the best and hope you get a car you love and enjoy.

hahaha...nice.

Denver Pete is correct though.

What will you do when you take it in for an oil change and drop $150? Or better yet a $500 major service? I don't know but every time I go into the shop for a regular service I drop at least $1,000. My last trip was $1,600 included 45,000mi service, coil over install, alignment, and coolant reservior replacement. If your pockets can handle that, then your've found a new Boxster to cruise and enjoy every day

KRZ

KRZ

Last edited by KRZTACO; 02-22-2006 at 04:55 PM.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:01 PM   #6

Hi,

I think it's great that you have such an interest in the Boxster. But, I'm afaraid I have to side with some others and advise you that this isn't the Car for you if you don't have the independent resources to actually own one.

My suggestion is to buy something Granite reliable (a Miata would fit this Bill nicely. It's a True Sports Car and a Blast to Drive, without giving up too much Style and Panache)until you complete your studies, and keep the Boxster as the proverbial Carrot on a Stick - something to reward yourself with in a couple of years.

Buying used, you're buying an unknown to one degree or the other. Your Sports Car experience could sour very quickly if you had to leave it parked until repairs could be afforded, or if it put a steady drain on all your Fun Cash. Think it all over very carefully, with your Head that is North of your Shoulders...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #7

Thanks for all the honest replies, I appreciate them and will consider them.

As for the money/first car issues - I haven't had a car because I haven't needed one. I live on campus at college, and can walk to just about anything, and I went to a boarding school in high school. I personally have the money to buy a new Boxster if I wanted, though I would really rather not do that if there's an offer on the table to help pay for one. Also, I don't like the idea of buying a new vehicle with depreciation, etc. I'm just sick of borrowing cars

Also a question about service, now that you brought it up - how often do you take your Boxsters in for service (not counting routine things like oil, tires, etc)?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer

Also a question about service, now that you brought it up - how often do you take your Boxsters in for service (not counting routine things like oil, tires, etc)?

Thanks again everyone.
I've had my boxster for 2 and half years. It has never had any problems and hasn't seen the dealer since it left the lot over 2 yrs ago. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Adam; 02-22-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:49 AM   #9

Slayer, sounds like you are not financially strapped if you could afford a new one on your own.

Buy an 2004 S certified pre-owned Porsche warrantied Boxster if you can talk your mother into it. Then you'll have lots of warranty on the car and you will absolutely love driving it. If she's kicking in 30k or more, then buy a 2005 S and get the redesigned car, which I hear is much nicer all the way around with a zillion little improvements and a couple of big ones. If cash isn't your main concern, then shy away from the non-S cars as you'll wish you had bought an S later. Few don't regret buying the larger engine.

Just remember to be careful driving any sports car that is as small and powerful as a Boxster.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:06 AM   #10

Talking

"Also a question about service, now that you brought it up - how often do you take your Boxsters in for service (not counting routine things like oil, tires, etc)?"

Porsche recommends service every 15K miles. What is done varies by mileage, from minor to major.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Slayer, sounds like you are not financially strapped if you could afford a new one on your own.

Buy an 2004 S certified pre-owned Porsche warrantied Boxster if you can talk your mother into it. Then you'll have lots of warranty on the car and you will absolutely love driving it.
Slayer, this is great advice from Randall (as always!). If you really want to go with a 2004 there are actually new, untitled, cars out there. I would imagine the dealers are very motivated to get these off their lots/inventory. Let me know if you'd like help finding one. Most likely this will be an out-of-state purchase, FYI.

One thing you need to consider is having such a nice car in a college environment, is vandalism. So, make sure you have a very-very safe place to park your potential new $$$$$car!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 AM   #12

15K or yearly for service. Just because I drive my car about 3k a year doesn't mean I can change the oil then forget about it for 5 yrs.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
15K or yearly for service. Just because I drive my car about 3k a year doesn't mean I can change the oil then forget about it for 5 yrs.
Well, it works if after 5 years you take it in and get 5 straight oil changes.....

Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #14

Thanks

It sounds like it requires a little more attention than other cars, but as much as I love the Boxster, I don't think that will be a problem.

PS: Randall your answers are always very helpful. Kudos on your FAQ and guide as well
Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #15

I tried that once with a Triumph Spitfire. When I bought it, it had 65,000 miles and no maintenance records. I changed the oil 13 times in two weeks, but it was still a piece of junk.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
I tried that once with a Triumph Spitfire. When I bought it, it had 65,000 miles and no maintenance records. I changed the oil 13 times in two weeks, but it was still a piece of junk.
Ahhhh. I think I see your problem. Next time, change the oil once, then change the CAR after two weeks!

Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
... It has never had any problems and hasn't seen the dealer since it left the lot over 2 yrs ago...
Hi,

BE CAREFUL not to rile the Boxster Gods... scary ******************** that...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:57 AM   #18

dbth, you do make a good point about a young man with parents who can afford it and the fact that he's a responsible high achiever.

However, I'd like to point out a couple of things that you didn't mention...
1) Doing this teaches the child little about the value of money and possessions. I've had numerous rich kid friends who made 4.0 averages in high school and would say things like, "Who gives a F**k? If I wreck this one, they'll buy me another." Yes, even the ones that look like little angels around their parents can turn into spoiled, arrogant brats the second they want to turn it on.
2) Giving a sports car with this much power to someone who's only been behind the wheel for 30 months is sheer stupidity to me. I'd never do it, no matter how wealthy I was. (Now before some of you hot rodding boys tell me you had a Chevelle or a Vette in high school, stop and think about traffic when you were a teen compared to today!)

I don't have kids, but I've thought a lot about how I'd help them mow lawns or babysit when they were 12 or 13 and help them learn how to save for their own car when they turned 17 or 18... they'd have a great deal of pride of ownership, probably wouldn't trash it, and would also be paying their own insurance, fuel and maintenance on the car, or walk or ride a bike or the bus.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:20 AM   #19

Randall,

You are def. on the right track. Your children (when you have them) will thank you some day. Of course, when they are teens, they will mostly just complain all the time!

See what you have to look forward to!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #20

Richard, I celebrate my 44th b-day next month. Wife is 48. We're not planning to have kids at all. But we do plan on retiring early and I plan on driving a Porsche the rest of my life

Others will have to enjoy my unexperienced parental advice!