View Single Post
Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 PM   #29
70Sixter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
Did any of you guys have a nice car like this when you were younger? What did you think of the experience? Do you regret it in any way?
I had a few: new 65 Mustang & 67.5 Firebird 400 in high school. Traded 'Bird for 66 912. Then new 914-6 after college in 70. Followed by a year-old 911 in 71. And the rest of my history does not qualify as "young." If your real question is "Do I regret blowing money on cars?" the answer is an emphatic NO! You'll never enjoy cars as much as when you are young - at least that is my story. If you have the means or have to stretch your finances a bit, then do it.

I've never had kids so that means a lot in terms of being able to waste money on cars, women, and booze. I know a lot of guys delay nice cars until they push families thru life and then become financially able to afford the finer things. I admire them for it. But for me the memories of the enjoyment and excitement of my early cars cannot be replaced. I wish my Box could do the same for me, but it does not. I love it, but not in the same way as I felt about cars at your age.

The only regrets I've had are the "ones that got away." The 57 T-Bird for $1795. A 289 Cobra for $6500. A 904 (with a 911 engine) for $6500. A Gullwing Mercedes for $30k.

Advice - go for it if you can and enjoy it.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote