Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2018, 08:19 PM   #21
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I met my daughter for a walk a little before sunset. I took some cell phone pictures of THAT and the '04 SE. The custom tags have been ordered for the SE "OTHER", but it takes up to four months to receive them in Oklahoma. Looking forward to a photo shoot with THIS, THAT, and the OTHER.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #22

Looking very sharp!!!!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #23
Certified Boxster Addict

Great cars and great pic's!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #24
MWS

[QUOTE=78F350;572904]I met my daughter for a walk a little before sunset. I took some cell phone pictures of THAT and the '04 SE. The custom tags have been ordered for the SE "OTHER", but it takes up to four months to receive them in Oklahoma. Looking forward to a photo shoot with THIS, THAT, and the OTHER.

I was wondering (hoping) if you were going with that name...it's just toooo darn obvious. Looking forward to the pics of all three. BTW, your photos are always so beautiful. Most all of my mothers' side of the family is from Oklahoma, unfortunately I haven't been that way in about 10 years; keep meaning to attend one of the family reunions, but they seem to always be at the end of June, and honestly the weather (or at least as I remember it) is just too darn oppressive during that time....but in saying that, it's 94 (with 80% humidity) here today....maybe if I jumped in the Boxster I could still make the reunion.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #25

Garage
I did a little bit of work - maintenance - on THAT. It has a little over 140k miles on it now. I replaced the primary O2 sensors and the front diagonal [control] arms. The O2 Sensors had given a code that I cleared a couple time before getting around to it. The diagonal arms were rattling over bumps and the front alignment was drifting a bit.
The O2 sensors were quick and easy with the car on jack stands I didn't even have to take the wheels off. I did the O2 sensors on the '01 after and they were even easier - the connection for the wires on the 99 and earlier is harder to reach.
2001:

The diagonal arms were pretty simple, but the alignment needed some adjustment afterward. I used a set of Toe Plates and moved it from a slight toe-out to a slight toe-in. When the weather warms up, I plan to replace the rest of the front end including: tie rods, struts, coffin arms, and sway bar links. I'll probably have it properly aligned by a shop after that.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 AM   #26

Do you have any front brake cooling ducts? Sometimes they get scraped off or lost (and I know you have to move them over when swapping this arm so maybe you haven't added them back) but if not, the GT3 front brake ducts are now only like $7.00 or so a pair, search 99734148392KT
Old 12-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #27

Garage
Thanks Steve! I had no idea the GT3 ducts were so cheap. At Pelican, the stock 986 ducts are $31 ea vs the GT3 are $5 ea.
THAT had the ducts, but one was creased and scraped. I just bought 4 pairs at ECS with some oil filters to round it out for free shipping.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #28

I know back when I first bought mine they were like $20 and up for the pair, I now have 1 (or maybe 2, although I think I may have had to use one side to replace a duct I lost at The FIRM when I had a big off....) For $7 a pair it is a no brainer

https://youtu.be/k_vJI4FbC2k
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k_vJI4FbC2k" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM   #29
Custom User Title Here

Garage
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:31 PM   #30

really neat to see a Porsche fanatic here in OK with so many Boxsters on hand.
Hallet is a fun track; one day I'll get my Boxster out there.
your cars are beautiful; especially love the silver/ red combo
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
really neat to see a Porsche fanatic here in OK with so many Boxsters on hand.
Hallet is a fun track; one day I'll get my Boxster out there.
your cars are beautiful; especially love the silver/ red combo
Thanks, I never really intended to have a collection of them, but they have been great cars and as the opportunity comes to buy another one, it's often hard to pick one to let go of.
I didn't make it out to Hallett at all this year, but I'm planning to go in 2019 as much as my schedule allows. Fun and challenging.
Here's a couple photos from my wife's phone that show how close I came to wrecking THIS in a spin. All I saw was a red streak go by as I was trying to recover the car. I expect to start over again as a novice next time I go out.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #32

man that's scary. I raced a BMW at Hallet for 5 years but haven't been out for about 6 years.
By the time the PCA events come around I should have my new project up and running well
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #33

Garage
I've had THAT back from my daughter for about a week now to get some more maintenance done. A couple days ago I took the hard top off and finished fixing the soft top. One of the switches in the roof latch had gone bad and the replacement I got was from a later model and needed to have a switch added so the windows would work correctly (They would not close the last 6" when the top was up). All good now.

Today I replaced the starter, it was hanging up a little after the start, making a squeal. The hardest part of the starter replacement is moving the throttle body and intake tubing to get access. While I was in there I cleaned the throttle body too.

I'm going to replace the front brakes next, but have to wait another day or two for shipping. That should be a quick easy job.

There are two problems I noticed during a test drive and still need to sort out. On hard acceleration and deceleration, the car has a very uncomfortable yaw. For a while I thought it was front suspension wear. Recently it got significantly worse and I'm pretty sure now that it's the motor mount and it has worn out completely. The other problem was a big, long puff of smoke after a high G right turn. It may just be that the oil level was a bit high, but I'm wondering about the AOS. I checked with a manometer and it was about 4.8 InH2O, so it should be good. There was some oil in the AOS to intake tube today when I had it off. I cleaned it all up. Hopefully it doesn't come back.

Last edited by 78F350; 03-11-2019 at 09:47 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #34

Garage
Here's the video I put together about replacing the starter.

https://youtu.be/N9-c_gVcgXA
Old 03-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #35
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Great video. Keeping the link for future reference. Thanks!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #36

Garage
Today I replaced the engine mount in THAT. My daughter had said that the car felt 'funny when shifting' and a little wobbly with acceleration and deceleration. I suspected the engine mount because of the mileage and age. All 1999s should have the mount replaced. Well, I guess this one had already been replaced because once I got it out, it looked fine.

Turned out to be a loose rear ball joint (toe arm). The previous owner had replaced all the rear suspension parts and I thought I had already checked them. Oops, well at least I now have a video of how to replace the mount:

https://youtu.be/h0BQQymTRPs
Old 06-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #37

Garage
Just to note the maintenance for myself (I'm terrible at keeping car maintenance records), I replaced the water pump and installed a 160 degree thermostat in THIS. I also got rid of the ugly zip-ties that I had in the front bumper with the mesh. They were there for years and I had intended to replace them a couple weeks after the bumper cover install.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:30 AM   #38

Garage
This morning I replaced the heater core in THAT. My daughter had smelled coolant with the heater on and when I checked the coolant level it was a little bit low. The whole job took about 1-1/2 hours at a leisurely pace - nothing difficult or 'fiddly', just some stuff to unbolt and get out of the way.

There wasn't a puddle of coolant under it, but it was clearly leaking from the top.

I used the DIY that Meir posted a few years ago. Great detailed easy to follow instructions. I recommend that everyone download and save the .PDF files that he has linked here in case you ever need them. Post (5) in this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37246-c-evaporator-replacement-c-foam-flakes.html

While I was in there, I noticed that a previous owner had done Meir's heater flap foam repair.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:00 AM   #39
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
This morning I replaced the heater core in THAT. My daughter had smelled coolant with the heater on and when I checked the coolant level it was a little bit low. The whole job took about 1-1/2 hours at a leisurely pace - nothing difficult or 'fiddly', just some stuff to unbolt and get out of the way.

There wasn't a puddle of coolant under it, but it was clearly leaking from the top.

I used the DIY that Meir posted a few years ago. Great detailed easy to follow instructions. I recommend that everyone download and save the .PDF files that he has linked here in case you ever need them. Post (5) in this thread: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/37246-c-evaporator-replacement-c-foam-flakes.html

While I was in there, I noticed that a previous owner had done Meir's heater flap foam repair.

Meir is the man! So helpful when I did the mixer door fix - my first “big” repair when I got the car 4 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #40

Garage
Last night when I got off work, my car (THIS) looked like this:

I called the police to report a hit and run in the parking lot, but just had them log the call rather than doing a full accident report. My rough estimate for self-repair is $250 for the tail light (I have one on the shelf, but that's the current eBay price for used) and up to about $475 to paint & repair or replace the bumper. I expect a shop estimate would be about $1,500. I have $500 deductible and just had a claim a month ago for damaging my Cayenne with my trailer. I don't think that an insurance claim is worth it.

I remembered that a green Suburban had been parked back to back with my car across the parking lot lane. I drove the same car to work this morning and brought a tape measure. The height of the damage matches the Suburban bumper (parked in the far corner of the lot this morning). I found small paint chips that match my car on the bumper. The problem was that there was a lot more damage to the back of the Suburban. I see the Suburban regularly and it's usually very clean and polished. The damage is new, but not *just* from hitting my car.

I wrote a short polite note, saying what I thought happened and giving my info if they would like to respond. A while later 'Rhonda' came to my office and explained that she had been in an accident a week ago (police report in hand) and that no, she hadn't hit my Porsche. Two kids in college, insurance company wants to total her car, just before Christmas, ....

There's no witness. It's a small community and although we don't know each other, we know all the same people. She is a hard working part-time receptionist driving a 30 year old Suburban and I'm a pilot with 7 or 8 Porsches -who counts those things anyway. Time and trouble to fix it myself vs time and trouble to legally prove she did it and still get it fixed. This is not a battle worth fighting. One more job on my winter projects list.