Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #41
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post

I remembered that a green Suburban had been parked back to back with my car across the parking lot lane. I drove the same car to work this morning and brought a tape measure. The height of the damage matches the Suburban bumper (parked in the far corner of the lot this morning). I found small paint chips that match my car on the bumper. The problem was that there was a lot more damage to the back of the Suburban. I see the Suburban regularly and it's usually very clean and polished. The damage is new, but not *just* from hitting my car.

I wrote a short polite note, saying what I thought happened and giving my info if they would like to respond. A while later 'Rhonda' came to my office and explained that she had been in an accident a week ago (police report in hand) and that no, she hadn't hit my Porsche. Two kids in college, insurance company wants to total her car, just before Christmas, ....

There's no witness. It's a small community and although we don't know each other, we know all the same people. She is a hard working part-time receptionist driving a 30 year old Suburban and I'm a pilot with 7 or 8 Porsches -who counts those things anyway. Time and trouble to fix it myself vs time and trouble to legally prove she did it and still get it fixed. This is not a battle worth fighting. One more job on my winter projects list.
the good karma you get will more than offset the cost

2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #42

We all are passionate about our vehicles and hate to see them blemished particularly due to other's errors. That said, we all can stand from catching a break here and there and you'll never feel bad helping out someone in need. Sounds like "Rhonda" could really use the break you are giving her and hopefully she will pay it forward to someone else.

A hassle for sure but the juice ain't worth the squeeze. In this instance you'll feel better helping her out rather than making her pay.

Good decision and an even better lesson for us all.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #43

If Rhonda fessed up, under the circumstances I think I would tell her Merry Christmas, make a joke about it, and just take care of it myself.

But I don't like being lied to or taken advantage of, I certainly don't want to set a precedent of just rolling over when this does happen, and I don't like reinforcing bad or antisocial behavior in others, so if I thought she was lying I might just press the issue even if it would ultimately cost me more in this particular case.

Maybe I am becoming a grumpy old man.
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #44

Take bumper off heat it with blow dryer and pop it out best you can bring it to get resprayed no more than 400 dollars new or used taillight .....done. I have 2 stock 02 taillights maybe I could pass on. I think yours may be aftermarket. I just put my bumper back on yesterday for the second time only reason I know. Also painted bumperettes while i was there
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #45

Have yours sanded and painted you will love it i am sure
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:57 AM   #46

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. To me, that looks like someone backed into your bumper with a trailer hitch. The dent looks too focused and small to be the middle of a bumper.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:24 AM   #47
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Thanks all...
I really don't have any doubt at this point that it was that Suburban. Given the layout of the parking lot and what was parked there that day, it wouldn't make much sense for any of the other vehicles to have done it. I'd park back to back with an early '90s Suburban to prove the point, but I've obsessed enough about this already.
Here's a pic with a slightly downward view of the Suburban bumper and how it lines up including the scuff on the bumperette.

Considering the mass of a Suburban slowly backing into the soft plastic bumper of a 986, I think she may not have felt it happen. ...I hope that she didn't.

I have another matching tail light already. I can do the paint work myself. I plan to get a gallon of Arctic Silver, so that along with the bumper, I'll have enough paint to fix some spots on THAT as well - hood and a rear fender.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #48
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I replaced the tail light and spent a few minutes with a heat gun to pop the dent out without taking the bumper off. Prepping and repainting the bumper is going to take a lot of time. For now, I have a temporary solution to cover the paint damage: