Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #61
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
At one point I was regretting not just slapping more Bondo on there and calling it done. Now, I'm glad I did it; for the learning and development of skills. My biggest problem now is the the old re-spray that it had is not the original color anymore. It had faded and yellowed. Now I need to paint from the doors forward for a good color match.

Weld. Lots of spot welds across the seams.

Bare metal primer and spots of filler.

Prime and sand.

Paint.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #62

Very impressive patch job!
Old 06-28-2020, 03:41 AM   #63

Looks good. FYI, these butt weld clamps come in handy for joining two pieces together with a butt weld and they're dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. https://www.harborfreight.com/butt-welding-clamps-8-pc-60545.html?cid=paid_google|||60545&utm_source=goog le&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid =CjwKCAjw_-D3BRBIEiwAjVMy7PHEKdqhNP9q3eMJs-6Triql6ylnMDMI6--3hQAhzAYN8yp1AyhMXBoCB0kQAvD_BwE
Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 PM   #64

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Looks good. FYI, these butt weld clamps come in handy for joining two pieces together with a butt weld and they're dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. ...
Those clamps look very useful and super inexpensive. I may have use for them again soon:

https://youtu.be/cbLXpMSgRDs

I couldn't help but pick up another project.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #65
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Those clamps look very useful and super inexpensive. I may have use for them again soon:

https://youtu.be/cbLXpMSgRDs

I couldn't help but pick up another project.
I can totally understand that emergency.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #66

Why is it that like every 914 is either dilapidated or AMAZING. I mean I haven't seen like a daily driver 914; maybe I'm too young.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #67

Good man. Everyone needs a 914 project.

Here's mine.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #68

Garage
Rick, I'm going to have to check out your 914 next time I get out there. I've got the pair of them home now and it looks like the black one is solid enough to rebuild. I joined 914World.com and I'm going through the PelicanParts forum; Lots of stuff to learn. It doesn't belong here at the 986Forum, so I've started a thread on GRM under my name AAZCD: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/learning-about-porsche-914s/174425/page1/#post3045604

The 914s as purchased:

Now, back to the Boxsters. THIS is sold and awaiting pick-up in a couple weeks. THAT has a few things that I still want to fix up before putting it for sale. I ended up doing almost a complete paint job in my garage to fix the old paint. Everything, but the clamshell and trunk lid. It was a 'quick and dirty' respray, but it's a big improvement over how it was. Pics later when I get the whole car ready.

Last edited by 78F350; 07-04-2020 at 09:09 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:24 AM   #69

Excellent job on the Boxster rear quarter replacement! That yellow 914 looks like it had factory air conditioning, I think that was pretty rare. If you don't use that in your project, hope you can sell some a/c parts from it to recoup some money.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:37 AM   #70

Garage
Time for an update...
I sold THIS in late July. It went to a good home and I'm looking forward to seeing how plans develop for some mods he has in mind.

Our text conversation went something like this:

Quote:
Patrick, “Wait, am I buying This?”
Me, “Yes, it's This, not That.”
Patrick, “Oh man, I can't believe you're letting it go! I mean, I totally can believe that you are reducing the size of your stable, but THIS??”
Me, “It was a hard decision, but if two were going to go This and That were the best choice. Keeping just This or just That wouldn't be right. My plan is to keep the Other forever, Red will become This and the black one gets to be That.”
Patrick, “The black Challenge car?”
Me, “The black Challenge car for this year... not the black Challenge car from last year ...which will be the Challenge car for next year.”
Patrick, “Last years car getting the V8? This is a lot to keep up with.”
Me, “ Yes. This is actually pretty easy to keep up; That is the one that needs all the work.”
...Now I think he may get Florida tags for This and his 996, “That”.

THAT is ready to sell. It's not perfect and is not worth making perfect. At 150k miles it's a good daily driver car that can be improved, or driven reliably as it is. My daughter enjoyed it for a couple years, but drives a Cayenne now.
The last bit of paint work after replacing the quarter panel was getting the driver's door done. It had a big run/sag in the paint near the mirror and I had to sand it and do it over. It is much better now.

I had two codes causing a check engine light. P1126 cleared up after I found that the intake tube on the throttle body wasn't clamped tight. P0197 cleared after I replaced the oil temperature sensor. Replacing the temp sensor on a '99 wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't have to unbolt the left intake runner.

Video: https://youtu.be/44xTIZyulcY

I've submitted the paperwork to transfer tags for my red '97 to be THIS and the black 2000 to be THAT. As long as there's enough Boxsters around, I might as well keep the names.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:05 PM   #71

Garage
So, I listed THAT on Facebook marketplace for $4,000 being clear that it's a good driver, but not perfect. 4 hours later I had over 600 views and about 15 inquiries. A couple buyers seemed very serious, but my time availability is difficult this weekend. Pretty sure it is sold now, but waiting for Wednesday (day off) to close the deal.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
So, I listed THAT on Facebook marketplace for $4,000 being clear that it's a good driver, but not perfect. 4 hours later I had over 600 views and about 15 inquiries. A couple buyers seemed very serious, but my time availability is difficult this weekend. Pretty sure it is sold now, but waiting for Wednesday (day off) to close the deal.
Someone is getting a deal

4k is what I paid for my wife's first 986... it was about the same condition, so I guess its normal. GLWS

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:07 PM   #73

Garage
Love the text message - sounds like it could be a Seinfeld episode
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:15 AM   #74

Garage
THAT's buyer is coming this afternoon. I remembered that I had disabled the passenger side airbag for my grandson (disconnected and jumped with a resistor based on info from Rennlist). This morning I am swapping in some nicer (no cracks in the leather) seats and restoring the airbag function. ...plus found out that an H7 headlight bulb was out.
I never really had time to prep the car for sale until this morning.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #75

Garage
Hope all went well with selling the car! I will have to do this mod on the airbag in my car too, once it runs. Do you happen to remember the value of the resistor?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #76

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Hope all went well with selling the car! I will have to do this mod on the airbag in my car too, once it runs. Do you happen to remember the value of the resistor?
I think I used a 2.8 Ohm 1/4 watt. Various Porsche forums show from 2.2 - 3.2 Ohm works.
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/802831-boxster-986-air-bag-delete-pls-help.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/785847-passenger-airbag-connector.html#post10920866
Old 08-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #77

Garage
Great, thanks for the info. I`m thinking of adding a switch to disable/enable the airbag on demand.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #78

Garage
The buyer of THAT texted me a couple days ago to say the it had a check engine light with code P1124 and P1126 and just wanted advice on where to look to fix them. I thought that I had fixed those codes already by tightening up a clamp on the intake and replacing a cracked hose on the AOS. I advised him to try cleaning or replacing the MAF sensor and look to see if there were any obvious leaks around the intake. I really hoped that it wasn't the AOS. He lives about three hours away from me and I didn't think there was any way I'd get out there to take a look at it myself.

Today I drove to Springfield MO to pick up a nice freshly rebuilt Porsche 914 engine I found on Craigslist. I realized that the guy who bought THAT was only about 45 minutes out of my way on the three hour drive back home. Before I left home I grabbed a known good MAF and my manometer to check the AOS. Timing worked out well and as I left Springfield, I let him know that I was going to stop by. I didn't do it because I felt bad or because the buyer asked me to. I did it because I thought I had fixed the problem and it really bothered me that it came back. ...it was personal between me and the car. I think its good now after replacing the MAF.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #79

Hi @78F350! Wow that is nice of you that you even tried to help the buyer! Well so far I have good relationship until now with several of the car I sold since I do check them once in awhile.

You have nice collection of porsches too! Well welcome to 914world also. My ID with 914world is the same with my ID here.

Have few 914s before on our old house. Currently still have ‘74 914 project and ‘99 986.
Attached Images

ndfrigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #80

Read the whole thread Jon. I appreciate the care you take with your cars. Thanks for the Christmas card :-)

Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote