Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #61
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I've looked at those, price is decent on them and would look slick with my red calipers.

This set here just keep calling my name though.

7798-D917KT - Front & Rear Cool Carbon S/T Performance Brake Pad Set - ES#2804502

Also for you guys in the know how. Do the Brake Pad Damping Plates need to be replaced when I change the rotors and brake pads? Never saw them replaced in the videos I have watched.

2003 Porsche Boxster Roadster S H6 3.2L Braking Pads - 99635108802 - Brake Pad Damping Plate - Priced Each - ES#1485481

Fronts have a large rectangular plate with two posts on each plate. Two per caliper. Those fit into the pistons of the caliper. DO NOT tear the dust boot. Pop those out, get everyone else's glue / pad grease out of there and go from there.

Rears have a round disc in each piston, so four per caliper. No need to change any of them unless damaged, but likely not.

Go ceramic. Almost zero brake dust, super quiet, rotor wears super slowly.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:29 AM   #62

Quote:
I've looked at those, price is decent on them and would look slick with my red calipers.

This set here just keep calling my name though.

7798-D917KT - Front & Rear Cool Carbon S/T Performance Brake Pad Set - ES#2804502

Also for you guys in the know how. Do the Brake Pad Damping Plates need to be replaced when I change the rotors and brake pads? Never saw them replaced in the videos I have watched.

2003 Porsche Boxster Roadster S H6 3.2L Braking Pads - 99635108802 - Brake Pad Damping Plate - Priced Each - ES#1485481

On mine (2000 S) I reused the front shims, I took them out and cleaned them with brake cleaner, and then put a little anti-squeal on the backs and put them.back in. When I went to do the backs the shims were missing. I did not get new ones and all is well. There is a really good tutorial on boxsterregister.org on brakes, probably the most comprehensive I have ever seen.

I use ebc redstuff too, quiet on the street, low dust, and handles track and autocross well. The red looks good right up until you drive then it gets covered in dust and grime
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #63

A couple of tips for brake jobs that you don't always see in the DIY's:

Really important - use only the best flare wrenches, like Snap-On or Mac. The rest are crap and will spread and round off your nipples if they are overly tight (oo, that sounds painful).

Brake fluid is one of the best paint removers you will find, Be careful not to spill it on any painted surfaces and if you do then wipe it up right away.

Have lots of clean rags handy and don't spare the brake cleaner. Compressed air is also very helpful. I believe that at least part of the reason that my brakes don't squeal is that the calipers were cleaned to operating room standards before painting and re-assembly.

A Motive power bleeder is worth every penny. Actually, it's worth twice that.

The clutch line comes out of the side of the reservoir, not the bottom like the brakes. Do not let the fluid level in the reservoir drop below the level of the clutch line outlet or you have just bought yourself a world of hassle. The clutch pedal needs to be wedged to the floor for bleeding. A piece of 2x4 works fine. Don't be tempted to skip bleeding the clutch even though it is a royal PITA to get at the bleeder.

The wear sensors are not actually required, Many people don't re-install them in the pads and instead just wire them up to the suspension somewhere out of the way. I did not do this. Also, judging by the extremely low resistance through the sensors, I think you can probably just short the plug they attach to and eliminate them together, but I stress that I have not actually tried this myself and am merely guessing.

While the brake job is very simple and easy on these cars, it is definitely possible to botch it up if you are not careful. Here's a link to Pedro's site:
DIY Projects: Do-it-Yourself Repair and Maintenance for your Porsche
His DIY's are well written with lots of pics.

Thus ends my unsolicited advice - good luck!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:49 AM   #64
Need For Speed

Garage
Thanks guys.

Yeah Timco I really want ceramic. I put a nice set of drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on my daughters Eclipse GTS Spyder and her wheels have never looked so clean.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:55 AM   #65
Registered Boxster abuser

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Yeah Timco I really want ceramic. I put a nice set of drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on my daughters Eclipse GTS Spyder and her wheels have never looked so clean.

Wait....

let me get this straight....

More Krams???

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #66
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
I put a nice set of drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads on my daughters Eclipse GTS Spyder and her wheels have never looked so clean.
Not to throw another (@T in the blender, but every time I hear mention of drilled, dimpled, and slotted rotors I remember many old unresolved debates.

This thread was a good one: http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/52440-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-brake-rotors.html. You can find it in just about any performance car forum and to some people its like debating religion.

Sometimes you'll find quoted data supporting opposite views, but usually it's like using a butt-dyno to back up HP claims. After all the debates and flames I have read, I am convinced that good pads, such as the Redstuff are what really matter. For rotors, I expect material is more significant than blank vs drilled vs slot etc. My '99 is staying with blank rotors, the '01 is going to go slotted & drilled. All a matter of aesthetics to me.
:dance:

Last edited by 78F350; 04-20-2015 at 08:51 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #67
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I don't think I was quite understood by Tim. Here's a clarification:

"From what you read, what you deduced makes sense. I can picture (in my mind) how a lip on an extremely worn rotor could (in theory) cut the sensor. Looking at the actual brakes, I don't think it's very likely (on par with the possibility of Bigfoot existing)."

Here's a picture that may, or may not help:
If you want to make this personal and bring ******************************** into this, then be my guest. I've agreed to not speak of or mention ******************************** and am trying hard to live up to my bargain. I'd love to comment about your ******************************** pic, but will withhold comment.

I've never liked ******************************** and think ******************************** should ******************************** themselves nicely while ******************************** just lives life.....is how I see it.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by Timco; 04-20-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: I am actually kidding. No hate IM's, please.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:01 PM   #68
Beginner

Garage
Did my front bakes today. The rotor almost wore through the wear indicator.

They look a little better now.

Yahoo!
Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Did my front brakes today. The rotor almost wore through the wear indicator.

Yahoo!

LMAO! Time for a beer!

Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #70
I am my own mechanic....

So, the rotor really did cut through the wire after all????

And what proud Porsche owner lets their pads get to the wear sensor without compulsively messing with them way before that??? That is bad, and you should feel bad. Shame.

New setup looks tight. Very nice. I really wanted to go red calipers but the SE came with aluminum painted so I stayed silver. Nice look but not the flash of the red.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post

Err Hello... look how thin the pads have to get before it can even cut the sensor!

And this is on 'Jamesp S' not the OP's car
Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #72
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
Did my front bakes today. The rotor almost wore through the wear indicator.

They look a little better now.

Yahoo!
Thanks James.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #73
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthservices View Post
Err Hello... look how thin the pads have to get before it can even cut the sensor!

And this is on 'Jamesp S' not the OP's car
Also note that the rotor isn't in horrible shape either, yet it cut into the sensor.

We still need to see what the op comes up with for his issue.

On another note, I'm laughing my rear off at coreseller right now.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:02 PM   #74
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Wait....

let me get this straight....

More Krams???

Yes there are. I have two daughters, the oldest has birthed two more. You're welcome.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 AM   #75
Beginner

Garage
Quote:

And what proud Porsche owner lets their pads get to the wear sensor without compulsively messing with them way before that??? That is bad, and you should feel bad. Shame.
The rotor didn't quite cut through the wire, but it was close. These are the rotors that came with the car, they have 126K on them. The brake pads were so thin the wear indicator holes only had a paper thin covering of friction material over them. The rotor had that nice lip in the photo to reach out and touch the sensor. After looking this over yesterday, really worn parts are required for this to happen, both rotors and pads. If the wiring is properly dressed on the caliper there is no way for the wires to touch the rotor. Just had to float this out there yesterday, thought folks would get a kick out of it.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:55 AM   #76
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Yes there are. I have two daughters, the oldest has birthed two more. You're welcome.
KC??

So that puts you in your late 30's then, right? Maybe 40ish?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 AM   #77
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
KC??

So that puts you in your late 30's then, right? Maybe 40ish?
47 and retired as of April 10th, 2015.

These are recent pictures of me. I'm in good shape, full head of hair with no gray in it.

Have all the time I need to research wrenching on my Boxster. Been a motor head all my life, rebuilding motors or what ever needed to be done.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-21-2015 at 05:34 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #78

kind of reminds me of...

lol
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #79
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
I'm not an "armchair mechanic", nobody puts a wrench to my Boxster except me. Before I do anything, I research what I'm getting ready to do and it soaks into my brain. I'm in the market for a new set of brake pads and rotors as my mods have put the performance of my car to a level that the factory brakes are not good enough for me, the rotor cutting through the wire was not of concern to me as I'm buying rotors too, however what I read stuck in my mind.

Don't pass me off as stupid.
the problem is you often refuse to listen to what others are saying,
Case in point, your thread on changing the spoiler deployment speed and how it effects the aerodynamics of the car, MPG and drag, etc

Stop being so argumentative with everyone. If you ask for opinions, don't just argue with everyone who disagrees with you. Accept other opinions for what they are. Remember everyone has an opinion and they are like a-holes, some are smelly and stinky
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #80
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
kind of reminds me of...

lol
I'm not a mean guy like Biff, so I won't be knocking you on the head.