Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #81

Reference Pdwight's severed brake wear sensor:

1. I don't know if Pdwight ever determined what exactly cut his sensor wire, but it could have been road debris.

2. I just changed all four pads yesterday after my brake wear sensor light came on during my drive home from work. The next morning it was still on, but it went out on my drive home that day. Since I had last changed pads and rotors in 2011 at 133,000 miles, I thought my pads were worn.

3. I found all 8 pads in good condition with plenty of wear to go. Please see photos. Since I had all four wheels off I went ahead and switched out the good pads for brand new pads.

4. I did find that my passenger side front brake wear sensor was inop due to a broken wire at the electrical connector. Please see photos. The location of the clean break in the wire could not have been made by the rotor. I believe it was caused by old age (1999 Boxster w/242,000 miles) or road debris.

5. I don't know why the brake wear sensor light came one and then went out, maybe the light burned out. After reading my owner's manual, I cannot determine if the brake wear sensor light is supposed to come on at start-up as a diagnostic. My light does not come one at start-up.

6. I did discover that the rear wear sensor's have a rubber sleeve over the wire insulation that enables the wire to be attached to a clamp on the back side of the strut keeping the wire neatly tucked out of danger.

MNC-I

mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
But the pads are new 4 months ago, any way to tell which wheel it is short of taking each off and swapping out the sensor ?
I'm not sure of the current status but I cleaned my closet this weekend and found a new front brake wear sensor (I think fronts are different but unsure of the difference), I believe it is URO Parts brand, yours for the cost of shipping if needed.

Last edited by steved0x; 04-28-2015 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #83

Hi folks

Down with a horrible cold all weekend and had to work on Sunday so no time to even get a wheel off...one day this week I will find the gremlin and post results.

Thanks everyone

Dwight

Although at this time I am suspecting the IMS Bearing :chicken:

In the words of Monty Python

Run Away
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:27 PM   #84
Registered Boxster abuser

That's okay we can't do anything until we get the approval from ECS anyhow.

Rest up!

healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #85
Need For Speed

Garage
So what caused your brake wear light to come on?
Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #86

Still have not had enough time to get the car up and find out....but 3 day weekend coming up soon
Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #87

When you find which sensor has broken loop, you can, instead of replacing (b/c they are not cheap if you buy OEM) just short it out. Doing so closes open loop thus removing warning light on dash. Most who do DEs, especially us w/ aftermkt pads (as most do not have slot for sensor), either zip-tie sensors to struts or short out. Why? We're constantly checking pads and bleeding brakes - no need for extra expense associated w/ actively tripping idiot light or accidentally if it melts due to heat.

For clarification, light comes on when wire is broken creating an open loop. It has nothing to do w/ false presumption "grounding sensor wire to rotor". If that were case, tripped sensor light would go away when replacing pads. Instead you have to replace sensor (or short).

With the design of 9x6 and 9x7 calipers, pad depth is easy to visually inspect... even w/o pulling wheels (sans some retro BBS or orig Sport Design etc). As a general guide...
  • Assume inside pad has much greater wear than outside.
  • When outside pad material is 2x as thick as backing pad, you're about ~ 50% pad life. Material as thick as backing plate - you're due and sensors will be tripped. Don't push too much from here as pad wear isn't necessarily linear...

In any event, this thread has been entertaining

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 05-13-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #88

Good info Burg

I have a set of aftermarket sensors that came with the car (I think they are aftermarket). When I replace mine I may use the old ones to make up a set of "shunts" that will be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner and water resistant shrink wrap (nothing is water proff)

These could be easily used to find a bad sensor or to just shut up a warning light...my pads (Red Stuff) are less than a year old and less than 2K miles on them.

I will get some time off sonn and get under the car

PS these tips could in fact save my IMS from going bad......LOL
Old 05-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #89

The truth comes out

Well after being convinced that the IMS was the problem I pulled the engine, took a 18 pound sledge and knocked the IMS bearing into the case....I thought the extra weight would help anyway and I found the shaft had chains around it...and they went to other shafts that were obviously never finished because the ends had big notches kinda like teeth. We all know shafts should be sooth sao I took them out and took an angle grinder and got rid of the teeth so they could turn easily. I wrapped some duct tape around the IMS bearing after retrieving it from the crank case...some kind of big freeze plug was in the way....dang thing had 3 on each side....took 2 hours with a moto tool to cut a hole in top of the freeze plug big enough to get the IMS bearing out. Use first rate duck tape from dollar general to hold the bearing back in.....but the engine will not run now....back to the drawing board.

Seriously....this was the problem

Old 05-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #90

So the worn rotor edge ripped the sensor wire out of the holder....

Hmmm.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:00 PM   #91

Could be, I forgot to cover up the hole in the freeze plug I cut....tomorrow I will cut out a beer carton and put over the hole..........Im sure it will run then
Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 PM   #92

Worst thread ever. Lets let it go.

I sold an 03 Box S to a buddy last spring. He text me last night that his brake wear light came on.

I will not point him toward this thread, even for a laugh.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #93

Well actually

If you sift through the BS there is knowledge here;

1The brake wear sensor is a closed circuit from an electronics standpoint

2 If not tied down properly using the factory method it can get caught and ripped out by the CV joint

3 simply taking an existing sensor, cutting the wires and connecting them together will make a shunt and bypass the circuit at the caliper level.

It could get a lot worse....believe me
Old 05-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #94

Have we got word from ECS yet?

Lol
Old 05-19-2015, 04:20 AM   #95
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Worst thread ever. Lets let it go.

I sold an 03 Box S to a buddy last spring. He text me last night that his brake wear light came on.

I will not point him toward this thread, even for a laugh.
And nobody will lose any sleep.

Tell your friend if he can't sift through members having fun on a site they frequent, he can buy the manuals and books (which he should do anyway instead of owning his car question by question), take the time to learn something, (as super simple as brakes), and do it / learn it himself?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #96

Besides never ever read what you read on the internet and accept it as fact.

I'm reminded by the story of the kid who extrude honed his engine by pouring sand thru his intake at high rpm.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Last edited by healthservices; 05-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.