986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Got a break wear light (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56774)

Pdwight 04-18-2015 03:05 PM

Got a break wear light

But the pads are new 4 months ago, any way to tell which wheel it is short of taking each off and swapping out the sensor ?

KRAM36 04-18-2015 03:09 PM

The wire gets cut by the rotor, has nothing to do with how new your pads are. Sounds like you need new rotors. You can buy rotors with new wires as a package deal.

Mark_T 04-18-2015 03:19 PM

Um I don't think you're correct there. The nub of the sensor gets worn through when the pads wear down enough to expose it. I mean, yes, the rotor does wear through the sensor, but only when the pad is sufficiently thin to allow this to happen. The sensor is there to monitor brake pad wear, not rotor wear. Your rotors could be paper thin and that alone will not cause the indicator light to go on.

In this case it sounds like it might be just a bad connection. Check the connectors to the sensors to see if one has worked loose or fallen off. Could also be a defective sensor, which you can determine by checking for continuity through the sensor with your multimeter. Also check and see if the section of wire between the sensors has been pinched or broken.

http://members.shaw.ca/mtharris/sensor1.jpg

Checking for continuity (this one is good):

http://members.shaw.ca/mtharris/sensor2.jpg

Mark_T 04-18-2015 03:33 PM

You should be able to do all this without any disassembly other than unplugging the sensor connector to do the continuity test.

KRAM36 04-18-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 445533)
Um I don't think you're correct there. The nub of the sensor gets worn through when the pads wear down enough to expose it. I mean, yes, the rotor does cut the sensor, but only when the pad is sufficiently thin to allow this to happen.

In this case it sounds like it might be just a bad connection. Check the connectors to the sensors to see if one has worked loose or fallen off. Could also be a defective sensor, which you can determine by checking for continuity through the sensor with your multimeter. Also check and see if the section of wire between the sensors has been pinched or broken.

Thickness of the pads have nothing to do with it in this case. It's the rotors being so worn they cut through the wire.

Mark_T 04-18-2015 03:37 PM

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Timco 04-18-2015 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 445544)
Thickness of the pads have nothing to do with it. It's the rotors being so worn they cut through the wire.

The sensor tip is inserted into the pad. When the pad wears enough the wire makes contact with the rotor once it's exposed through the worn pad. This is the only way they trip unless one is unplugged or damaged.

Timco 04-18-2015 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 445545)
Sorry, but you're wrong.

This...........

Mark_T 04-18-2015 03:42 PM

Exactly, and it is a lack of continuity through one or more of these circuits that causes the wear indicator to light up.

Timco 04-18-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 445550)
Exactly, and it is a lack of continuity through one or more of these circuits that causes the wear indicator to light up.

Or if the wire shorts to ground the second the jacket wears off. I had a pad light and it came on when the pads were wet and it shorted to ground through the rotor.

KRAM36 04-18-2015 04:05 PM

Ok, lets see what he finds out. I'm putting my money on the rotors.

healthservices 04-18-2015 04:23 PM

Probably just routed one of the wear indicator wires incorrectly and it got nicked.

steved0x 04-18-2015 04:24 PM

If you have been doing heavy braking like at the track one may have melted. Probably one of the fronts.

Timco 04-18-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 445557)
Ok, lets see what he finds out. I'm putting my money on the rotors.

It's just not possible, bro. The wire is even clipped into the pad retaining bracket so it cannot possibly touch the rotor. Only a micrometer can check the rotor thickness.

Please. I'm begging you. Think about it.

If not, make it $100??;)

KRAM36 04-18-2015 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 445578)
It's just not possible, bro. The wire is even clipped into the pad retaining bracket so it cannot possibly touch the rotor. Only a micrometer can check the rotor thickness.

Please. I'm begging you. Think about it.

If not, make it $100??;)

Well then these guys are giving out bad information.

Quote:

Grinding, pulsating and a lack of stopping power are signs of a bad brake rotor. If your brake pads have worn deep into your rotor, the lip on the outer edge of the rotor can cut into your pad wear sensors, causing a brake pad warning to appear in the instrument cluster - even if your brake pads are new. Rotors should be checked every time you service your brakes.
2003 Porsche Boxster Roadster S H6 3.2L Braking Rotors - 99635140501KT - Front Brake Rotors - Pair 12.51" (318mm) - ES#2535370

healthservices 04-18-2015 06:48 PM

If it's on the Internet it must be true.... lol

KRAM36 04-18-2015 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 445590)
If it's on the Internet it must be true.... lol

It's on a very highly respected website and parts dealer. :rolleyes:

healthservices 04-18-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRAM36 (Post 445593)
It on a very highly respected website and parts dealer. :rolleyes:

LMAO

Not to attack you but...

logically, look at where the sensors are mounted, they are on the brake pads and the wear portion of the pads no less. How is it possible that it can measure the thickness of the rotor?

healthservices 04-18-2015 07:06 PM

And I'd really be laughing my butt off though if we were wrong and you were right Kram.

KRAM36 04-18-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthservices (Post 445596)
LMAO

Not to attack you but...

logically, look at where the sensors are mounted, they are on the brake pads and the wear portion of the pads no less. How is it possible that it can measure the thickness of the rotor?

Reread what I posted. It has nothing to do with reading the the thickness of the rotor, it has to do with the rotor being so worn out the edge of the rotor cuts the wire.

Quote:

Grinding, pulsating and a lack of stopping power are signs of a bad brake rotor. If your brake pads have worn deep into your rotor, the lip on the outer edge of the rotor can cut into your pad wear sensors, causing a brake pad warning to appear in the instrument cluster - even if your brake pads are new. Rotors should be checked every time you service your brakes.
2003 Porsche Boxster Roadster S H6 3.2L Braking Rotors - 99635140501KT - Front Brake Rotors - Pair 12.51" (318mm) - ES#2535370

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but this is what I have read from a very well respected Porsche parts seller. I didn't just pull it out of the air.