Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #21
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
The plenum alone isn't where your adding hp gain, you have to include a new larger throttle body. I not arguing one is better than the other, because i cant say, but before you start saying $800 you need to read up on what is needed to get the power gain.

As i pointed out its a matter of opinion, as for worth.
I need to read up on it? I have installed a full intake system upgrade, so yes I know just installing the 997 Plenum isn't going to give you all the benefits it offers without doing a full intake upgrade. As for the TB, both Plenums are for the larger TB.

I'm not saying the IPD isn't better, it's just not 1,045% price wise better. The HP gain between the two on a stock 3.2 wouldn't even be noticeable. Save yourself some money to pay for the rest of a full intake upgrade. You can get everything needed with the extra $730 saved and have money left over.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #22
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Fabspeed is now selling the ipd plenums as well, another reputable porsche tuner, so that has to say something.
Lol, Fabspeed is selling it, so that gives the reason to buy the IPD Plenum?

Fabspeed is selling the older style IPD Plenum and for $1,120, what a joke Fabspeed is.

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-986-boxster-ipd-intake-plenum/
Old 06-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #23

Garage
Sorry I knew chiming into this conversation was a wasted effort "I'm out been here before".
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:46 AM   #24
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Sorry I knew chiming into this conversation was a wasted effort "I'm out been here before".
C'mon...... really?
Because I asked for a little more information on something you said is fact?

I hope you're not suggesting that when you say something, it's above question?

It sounds to me like you've got something of value to add to the conversation, and i'd hate to see you split just because I offended you by asking for some additional information to your very specific claim.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:39 AM   #25

Does the 997 plenum drop right in on a 3.2 or do you have to change some additional parts? (ie: throttle body and/or the piping from the airbox)
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #26
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Does the 997 plenum drop right in on a 3.2 or do you have to change some additional parts? (ie: throttle body and/or the piping from the airbox)
No, it's shaped completely different then the stock Boxster Plenum. Two threads you need to read through.

Air box thread.

987 v 986 Air box

Intake thread.

maf and throttle body diameter

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-07-2019 at 07:41 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Lol, Fabspeed is selling it, so that gives the reason to buy the IPD Plenum?

Fabspeed is selling the older style IPD Plenum and for $1,120, what a joke Fabspeed is.

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-986-boxster-ipd-intake-plenum/
I am not saying that either, just pointing out that several vendors that seem to have a good review are selling it. Not only fabspeed but fvd, whom i did discuss the pros and cons with.

I only mention the TB because you keep referring to the plenum alone, just for sake of discussion need to clarify you need a throttle body.

As for myself I dont like piece milled mods even if they work, I rather have a mod designed for application.

Not sure why all the sarcasm, but its these small companies do our community a service. Not saying they maybe hype the numbers but they do post dyno readings for what its worth.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
For what its worth I appreciated the input, since you actually have one installed!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #29
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I am not saying that either, just pointing out that several vendors that seem to have a good review are selling it. Not only fabspeed but fvd, whom i did discuss the pros and cons with.

I only mention the TB because you keep referring to the plenum alone, just for sake of discussion need to clarify you need a throttle body.

As for myself I dont like piece milled mods even if they work, I rather have a mod designed for application.

Not sure why all the sarcasm, but its these small companies do our community a service. Not saying they maybe hype the numbers but they do post dyno readings for what its worth.
What sarcasm? Fabspeed is a joke with their prices and I'm dead serious. Since you think the number of places a part is sold makes the part worth buying. Well the 997 Plenum can be bought at many more places then the IDP Plenum. I see zero relevance of where you can buy the part making it the part to have. It's only companies trying to make a buck off of hype and in Fabspeed's case, adding another $400 to the price of the part.

It's been 4 years since I installed my full intake setup and it's been a complete joy the entire time to drive and all the parts needed to do the full intake mod cost less then the IDP Plenum alone.

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #30

Quote:
What sarcasm? Fabspeed is a joke with their prices and I'm dead serious. Since you think the number of places a part is sold makes the part worth buying. Well the 997 Plenum can be bought at many more places then the IDP Plenum. I see zero relevance of where you can buy the part making it the part to have. It's only companies trying to make a buck off of hype and in Fabspeed's case, adding another $400 to the price of the part.

It's been 4 years since I installed my full intake setup and it's been a complete joy the entire time to drive and all the parts needed to do the full intake mod cost less then the IDP Plenum alone.
You cant knock a company for trying to make a buck, research development is expensive. I never said that the number of places selling an item has relevance to weather it meets stated facts on its performance. I am just pointing out that vendors with a decent rep are selling the part. Your diy uses stock parts which i would hope are more widely available. So far you have bashed fabspeed and ipd just because you think they are over priced in your opinion doesn't mean others have an opposite opinion.

You keep saying your mod is better you have no fact either way, yes it works well. Another poster has the ipd installed is happy with it. the question which is better solution can only be proven by someone taking the time and expense to install each the run dyno.

I have read the thread several times on that mod and I personally don't want to do it, i would prefer a different options. Thats my business.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:00 AM   #31
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
You cant knock a company for trying to make a buck, research development is expensive. I never said that the number of places selling an item has relevance to weather it meets stated facts on its performance. I am just pointing out that vendors with a decent rep are selling the part. Your diy uses stock parts which i would hope are more widely available. So far you have bashed fabspeed and ipd just because you think they are over priced in your opinion doesn't mean others have an opposite opinion.

You keep saying your mod is better you have no fact either way, yes it works well. Another poster has the ipd installed is happy with it. the question which is better solution can only be proven by someone taking the time and expense to install each the run dyno.

I have read the thread several times on that mod and I personally don't want to do it, i would prefer a different options. Thats my business.
I never once said my setup was better, I actually said the IDP Plenum is the better part, but not worth the price.

If you don't want to do this mod why are you even commenting? What other options are you talking about? If you're talking displacement increasement, you're going to want an intake upgrade too. The current stock intake starves the 3.2 of air and hurts the power the engine can give you.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:55 AM   #32
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I so totally get this. I'm that way with computers. Gimme a laptop with the bells-n-whistles... don't make me figure-out how to add something to it. My mind just doesn't work that way.

But with cars, on the other hand, I am much more comfortable, and would actually much prefer to assemble my own "kit", and do my own trial-and-error of something new that hasn't been thoroughly fleshed-out yet. That's why I've never owned a Camaro: there's nothing new under the sun that hasn't been done on a Camaro. haha.

But I'm very glad that there are people who support the aftermarket with ready-made kits and products, where someone has already figured-it-all-out. And I don't care what they charge for it. I'm with KRAM, that it's hard to rationalize $800 for something I could do (and have 90% of the benefit) for $75. But for others, that threshold is someplace else.

Plus: you can't argue with how pretty the IPD part is. But it's not very "stealthy" if you want people to not notice any modifications, haha.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Plus: you can't argue with how pretty the IPD part is. But it's not very "stealthy" if you want people to not notice any modifications, haha.
Stealthy is not an issue with Boxstres, unless you fancy a glass engine cover...
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #34
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
Stealthy is not an issue with Boxstres, unless you fancy a glass engine cover...
Well.... stealthy to me means it doesn't throw any red flags at the emissions testing station. In my county, the first hint of that sort of modification and they'll send me downtown to get it looked at.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #35

Quote:
I never once said my setup was better, I actually said the IDP Plenum is the better part, but not worth the price.

If you don't want to do this mod why are you even commenting? What other options are you talking about? If you're talking displacement increasement, you're going to want an intake upgrade too. The current stock intake starves the 3.2 of air and hurts the power the engine can give you.
I never saw any of your post stating anything positive about the ipd plenum only ranting on about the cost.

I am commenting because that is the next mod up, I will be doing and want to hear actual comments from anyone who has it installed.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I so totally get this. I'm that way with computers. Gimme a laptop with the bells-n-whistles... don't make me figure-out how to add something to it. My mind just doesn't work that way.

But with cars, on the other hand, I am much more comfortable, and would actually much prefer to assemble my own "kit", and do my own trial-and-error of something new that hasn't been thoroughly fleshed-out yet. That's why I've never owned a Camaro: there's nothing new under the sun that hasn't been done on a Camaro. haha.

But I'm very glad that there are people who support the aftermarket with ready-made kits and products, where someone has already figured-it-all-out. And I don't care what they charge for it. I'm with KRAM, that it's hard to rationalize $800 for something I could do (and have 90% of the benefit) for $75. But for others, that threshold is someplace else.

Finally someone who gets my point, and yes hard to rationalize the cost but as I pointed out its an individual thing.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #37
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
I never saw any of your post stating anything positive about the ipd plenum only ranting on about the cost.

I am commenting because that is the next mod up, I will be doing and want to hear actual comments from anyone who has it installed.
I said it was the better part, it's just not worth the extra cost. It's not ranting, it's my opinion. There is no way on Earth the IDP Plenum will outperform the 997 Plenum by 1,045% more, but if you have money to burn and just want to brag about how you waste money on over priced parts, go for it.

Quote:
I'm not saying the IPD isn't better, it's just not 1,045% price wise better. The HP gain between the two on a stock 3.2 wouldn't even be noticeable. Save yourself some money to pay for the rest of a full intake upgrade. You can get everything needed with the extra $730 saved and have money left over.
IPD Plenum - best performance mod?

If this is your next mod, you're going to be piecing things together. I could put together a complete system for you using some used parts as I did with my car and would happily sell it to you for $1,200. All you would need to do is install it or you could pay someone to install it for you.

Side note on the computers reference. I have built every computer I have owned and have custom water cooled my computers since 2007 and done some for those that wanted a water cooled computer. I ran a side business selling computers put together by me and saved people a lot of money. These were people looking for high end computers for gaming/computation. I went into businesses and built all new computers for them and installed them. I have even put in systems for businesses that never had computers and trained their people how to use them. Yes that's how long I have been in the computer business. Doing this allowed me to retire at 47 years old. Now days I don't mess with people or businesses, just family, but now I have computers sitting in my home doing crypto currency mining making me money on the side. I love building computers. My laptop I built buying parts off eBay and Newegg to put in the parts I wanted. It's faster then most people desktops.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #38
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanD04 View Post
Does anyone have experience with the LN Engineering IPD Plenum? Is their claim true - best performance mod you can install on a Boxster?
Well "Best performance mod" is a tough question because it all depends on where you want to improve performance. Straight line performance is a different goal from lap time performance on a closed course.

My own "best performance mod" priorities for a track focused car:
1. Remove weight from the car. This improves acceleration, cornering, and braking. 200lb reduction is a huge bump in performance. It is also cheap or free.
2. Excellent Tires. The most overlooked performance upgrade that makes a huge difference in lap times.
3. GT3 A-arms. Allows you to use ALL of your contact patch.
4. Coilover suspension or lowering springs. Allows precise corner balance and quicker weight transfer.
5. Underdrive pulley. Practically free HP and improved reliability.
6. Exhaust. Mostly for weight reduction but there is a bit of high RPM HP available.
7. 3rd Radiator. These cars get heat soaked fairly easily in continuous lapping and HP falls off as temps rise. Keeping water temps below 220F makes a noticeable difference in performance.

After all of these things have been done I have shaved 5-8 seconds off a typical lap time. The car is now a formidable track weapon. If I needed a bit more top end for the long straights I *might* consider the plenum, TB, and tune, knowing I will have to pay stiff penalty points in my car classification for very little improvement (maybe 2/10ths) in lap times. Cost/benefit is really quite low on this so it would be a low priority.

YMMV

Last edited by Topless; 06-09-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
My own "best performance mod" priorities for a track focused car:
1. Remove weight from the car. This improves acceleration, cornering, and braking. 200lb reduction is a huge bump in performance. It is also cheap or free.
2. Excellent Tires. The most overlooked performance upgrade that makes a huge difference in lap times.
3. GT3 A-arms. Allows you to use ALL of your contact patch.
To me, that's all you need.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #40

IPD instructions

Hello, new member here. I can't find any detailed instructions for the IPD plenum install on a 986, only for the 987? I think I'm missing something, watched all the videos on YouTube and my car won't start.

03boxster-S is offline   Reply With Quote