Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #1

Who belives in the IPD plenum

I have acquired a 74MM T.B. and IPD plenum,. I had seen a U tube VID from a tuner in Australia I think that said they didn't see any performance gain from it..?? who to believe.? Thanks Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:31 AM   #2

I have the 82mm GT3 TB and IPD plenum on my CSS. I did not do a tune (not a believer in them), so I did not feel a lot of gain. There seemed to be a bit more grunt in the 2K rpm range, but that was with the butt dyno and I might have been looking for justification for the $750 outlay.

I got to thinking (a dangerous thing for sure) that maybe that combo contributed to my bore scoring by was pushing more fuel into my cyls than the factory setup. But I was told by the engine builder it had nothing to do with that or anything I'd done. It was just a poor design by Porsche. YMMV.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:39 AM   #3

I haven't tried the combo on the 986 yet. I have done the IPD and an 82mm on my 996. It made a difference there and when I also added a quality set of headers the component combination was awesome.

More pull through the entire rev range.
2ata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:35 AM   #4

I have the IPD plenum with the 74mm throttle body on my 986 S.

I did notice that the pull is more linear to red line but that could also be because I switched over the the FVD Brombacher "Sound" exhaust. I also have the FVD Brombacher long headers and BMC filter pending install. For the time being, I don't have a software tune, but ultimately did notice a difference. I'm happy with the upgrade.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-12-2021 at 06:39 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I dyno'd before and after with the 74mm TB and 996 plenum and did show some linear gains from around 3.5k rpm. From memory it was around 5-10bhp.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

996 plenums are (as are the ipd) much larger than stock 986 and should therefore allow a bit of easier breathing at higher rpms, if done in combination with additional mods to the intake to eliminate the other points of restriction (tiny MAF housing and restrictive air box). In my mind you either go all the way or youre wasting a lot of time and effort. Even if you redo the entire setup, don't expect more than a small gain in power.

On a side note, I've never seen such a ridiculously overpriced piece of automotive tech as the ipd plenum. The 996 cable driven TB plenums can be had for under $30 and are the same diameter. "oh but the ipd is Y shaped" lol. Pedro thought he could get around their patent and create a similar setup with the addition of an air splitter on a larger plenum and the only dyno run I've seen with that piece of hardware LOST the guy top end power. "Don't forget about the textured lining to improve linear flow " theoretically true, but unless you're doing that to the rest of the intake then this is a total waste.

And this is all coming from a guy who just spent the better part of the winter completely redoing the intake to a short ram CAI with 82 mm TB. I don't regret doing it (this was part 1 of a much larger project so necessary regardless of gains at this stage) but the results are not earth shattering by any means.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

The shop that does all the major work on my car isn't a believer in the IPD plenum and larger TB. They recommended against it for my car both when it was a stock 3.2 and again after they rebuilt my engine as a 3.6. They said they've never seen much of a power increase on the dyno after installing one, and have actually seen power decreases in some instances. They also told me that the 68mm throttle body on the 3.2 was big enough, it was also used on some BMW engines of larger displacement. So for now, I haven't added it to my car.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

It came with the car I bought that blew a rod,..I would now have all the component's to do that upgrade...But I have the lonely 2.7 I also have the 987 air box I was surprised to get the IPD and the larger TB,..So that's why I asked didn't want to go thru all that for nothing..But maybe it helps the 2.7 .. I want to work on the 3.2 first Tho cant mess up a engine with a big hole in the top off it..! Thanks Guy's appreciate the Info...Frank
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #9

I initially had my fences up on the IPD plenum etc. but curiosity got the best of me so I dove in head first. Suffice to say, the mods put a smile on my face every time so I have no regrets. I can certainly respect everyone's opinion on where they stand on this topic, but if you have the opportunity to try it out, I would highly encourage it. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Enjoy your cars in good health!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #10

This has been a very discussed topic on the forum. Pros and cons, price. I think in the end for best results it needs to be used with an exhaust upgrade to see most benefit. This is based off following many threads of discussion no experience.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #11

Garage
I believe that if your going to go with it you have todo the package from the air box to the tail pipe to see the real benefits.
I have also heard that the real gains are in the higher RPM range as in 3000 and above.

I'm just in the process of building mine and was hoping for more bottom end improvements. By going with the IPD I may be adding performance in the wrong place but thats OK (can always use top end ��)
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:23 PM   #12
WALDMEISTER

Garage
A naturally aspirated engine needs lots of money for little gains.
I have the IPD plenum + 74mm TBt on my 2.7l. and of course I noticed little gains.
More Air intake + gas + better exhaust = more power (that is a no brainer)

BUT don't expect a turbo kickin' in. Only subtile gains are possible.
Old 05-15-2021, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I have the IPD plenum with the 74mm throttle body on my 986 S.

I did notice that the pull is more linear to red line but that could also be because I switched over the the FVD Brombacher "Sound" exhaust. I also have the FVD Brombacher long headers and BMC filter pending install. For the time being, I don't have a software tune, but ultimately did notice a difference. I'm happy with the upgrade.
Quote:
I initially had my fences up on the IPD plenum etc. but curiosity got the best of me so I dove in head first. Suffice to say, the mods put a smile on my face every time so I have no regrets. I can certainly respect everyone's opinion on where they stand on this topic, but if you have the opportunity to try it out, I would highly encourage it. Don't knock it until you've tried it. Enjoy your cars in good health!
Just an update: I installed the BMC air filter today and flashed my DME/ECU with the FVD Brombacher tune. There is a significant difference in throttle response and the engine pulls all the way to redline much faster and much more linear. Dare I say it, and there will be nay-sayers, but the car is scary fast after 3000rpm all the way to redline. It's going to take a bit of adjustment and seat time for me to get used to it. I'll go as far as to say that with the tune, this car can keep up with the big boys on the highway.

I'll be installing the FVD long headers later this summer and then re-flash the software. For what it's worth, I like the FVD tune because when you add the different bolt ons to your car as part of staged builds, they allow you to update the tune for free.

My two cents: The IPD plenum alone might not be worth it, and gains will be marginal at best, but when you add in the intake, header, exhaust, and especially a software tune, you are golden. But please do not expect the performance of a twin turbo setup. That's not realistic. Go buy a car designed to go fast.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 05-15-2021 at 09:25 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Just an update: I installed the BMC air filter today and flashed my DME/ECU with the FVD Brombacher tune. There is a significant difference in throttle response and the engine pulls all the way to redline much faster and much more linear. Dare I say it, and there will be nay-sayers, but the car is scary fast after 3000rpm all the way to redline. It's going to take a bit of adjustment and seat time for me to get used to it. I'll go as far as to say that with the tune, this car can keep up with the big boys on the highway.

I'll be installing the FVD long headers later this summer and then re-flash the software. For what it's worth, I like the FVD tune because when you add the different bolt ons to your car as part of staged builds, they allow you to update the tune for free.

My two cents: The IPD plenum alone might not be worth it, and gains will be marginal at best, but when you add in the intake, header, exhaust, and especially a software tune, you are golden. But please do not expect the performance of a twin turbo setup. That's not realistic. Go buy a car designed to go fast.
Any change in sound with the BMC filter? I've been meaning to change my filter and debating between oem paper and BMC. I don't really care if it adds a few hp, I'm just interested in more intake noise! Would it be worth it from that perspective?

Already done de-snork btw
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Any change in sound with the BMC filter? I've been meaning to change my filter and debating between oem paper and BMC. I don't really care if it adds a few hp, I'm just interested in more intake noise! Would it be worth it from that perspective?

Already done de-snork btw
Haha to be honest I'm not sure yet. I drove along the 400 series highways last night with the top down.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:49 AM   #16

lol fair enough! Enjoy the weather we're having!
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #17

Garage
After losing an engine in a race car when an aftermarket filter failed, it's OEM for me!
Old 05-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
After losing an engine in a race car when an aftermarket filter failed, it's OEM for me!
You can't just tell us half a story and leave us hanging. We want blood. Details! :chicken:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #19
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
If you've had a remap the throttle request map has mostly likely even altered. This gives the effect of better throttle response and feeling faster as you've got more throttle or go for less travel. This is a similar effect to sports chrono on later cars or a sprint booster.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:59 AM   #20

I have a 2001 tip S with FVD Brombacher Sound version exhaust installed long before intake update. I just this past weekend put in a 997 plenum and 74mm TB. I used 3 inch silicone elbows and 3 aluminum pipe. I kept the original airbox and MAF so that the MAF sensor reading is accurate. Lots of people have tried to tune to accommodate the 987 airbox and MAF and it seems to be difficult. I have no data as proof, but the intake roar is louder and the pull is more linear. After install my car started and ran smoothly with no troubles or codes. For the minimal cost (<$150 used parts) I think what I have done has been well worth my time and money. IPD is spendy, but since you already have it I would install it.

Ultrarunner is offline   Reply With Quote