Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpetersen3 View Post
Hi Paul, I really like the idea of the direct connect dyno. It takes one more variable (wheel rolling resistance) out of the equation. Should give you more consistent results. Im pulling 79HP/L on my 3.2. You should be able to pull 285HP from your 3.6 w/ exhaust work, maybe 290/295HP if you eliminate rolling resistance. BTW, if you want to see the details on my exhaust mods and dyno results, I posted a vid several years ago here: https://youtu.be/MdCQg2tJFYg.
Thanks for the video Michael. Interesting that the Max Flow mufflers actually make a little more HP than the Super Cup ones! I've already got those same Fabspeed headers with 200 cell catalysts, so if I get the itch for more power, replacing my CircuitWerks mid pipes and stock muffler would be the next step.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:27 AM   #62

Nice work Ike. Your idea is similar to how Porsche runs their GT4 Cayman race cars... dual intakes running to the rear window vents.

Only potential downside of your design is the intake temps. Have you read the temps in the trunk during normal operation?

Solid work!
michaelpetersen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 05:31 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelpetersen3 View Post
Nice work Ike. Your idea is similar to how Porsche runs their GT4 Cayman race cars... dual intakes running to the rear window vents.

Only potential downside of your design is the intake temps. Have you read the temps in the trunk during normal operation?

Solid work!
Thanks for the props!

The intake temps are an issue with the rad expansion tank in there. Here's a chart from this morning. Ambient temp was 78deg. These measurements are from the OEM IAT sensor. You can see a pretty quick climb, this was start to finish on a 13 min drive. I should have charted water temps too but they never exceeded 185. More work to be done! Maybe I'll go ahead and install the water air intercoolers now lol.

Another subjective thing I can say about the performance difference is how freely the engine revs now in neutral. My very first reaction after I pushed my tune was shock over the difference there.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #64

Last edited by fabioan; 09-17-2021 at 09:13 AM.
fabioan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 08:34 AM   #65

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
I have a 98 with the 2.5 motor. I already installed the larger throttle body from a 996. I think the T on the 2.5 is the same size as the 3.4 T in the 996. It bolted right up. The throttle body from the 2.5 is the same OD as the 3.4 TB, the ID is the only difference. So what i'm saying is I'm not sure if the IDP would make a difference on my car or not. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make an $800 difference. Maybe on a 2.7 of 3.2 it would?
Can you help me know where you found your larger throttle body? I can’t find the correct one and don’t have a part number to reference. I have the ipd plenum but can’t find the cable throttle body needed to bolt up to it.

NotthatJake is offline   Reply With Quote