Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

OE+ upgrades thread

All,

I wanted to start a thread to see which OEM parts from different models and years can be an upgrade for other models and years cars.

Personally, I have always preferred to use an OEM part over an aftermarket part if it increases performance. Every car I have owned has had another model that shares similar parts with older or current models. One shock to me was Nissan 350Z tie rods can fit onto the old Nissan S13 240SX chassis perfectly and are an upgrade!

Here are some examples of what I have run into:
I found out my OEM wheels can accept more aggressive tire profiles, engine mounts were stiffer, OEM clutches from other models were better, differential swaps, transmission swaps, brake calipers and rotors, radiators, shifters, shift knobs, anti-swaybars, control arms, steering racks, hubs, uprights, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, injectors, oil filters, exhaust components, shocks and springs, gauge clusters, seats, bumpers, fenders.

Are there any ways to create more power by combining internals and other components from various engine models?

Whats the case with the Boxster?

Please use the second post in this thread as a template and add to it. Also, if you can, please add a description of the upgrade. How it's better. If you also have a link to some discussion about the upgrade, please list that as well.

Engine swaps: 996 3.4L

Engine parts: Cranks, pulleys, cams, valve covers, heads, pistons and rods,

Interior: Shift knobs, seats, trim

Exterior: Bumpers, lights, grills, lips

Steering: Tie-rods, steering racks

Exhaust: Headers, cats, mufflers

Brakes: Rotors and calipers.

Suspension: Shocks and springs

Wheels: OEM wheels that look good and require minimal spacers to fit.

Tire sizes:

Drivetrain: transmissions Please include the code if you know it), differentials, shifters, clutch, flywheel, axles

Misc parts: Anything else you can think of. Maybe a newer model year has a part that is more desirable than an older model year part, or vice-versa. This usually applies to the interior and exterior.

Prelude Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:06 AM   #2

I,ll start . I am considering upgrading /changing my rear swaybar to reduce understeer a little.My 01 Boxster S has factory m030 suspension but I believe the rear bar was stiffened in the 2003 year I am trying to find out if the later bar was stock on any other later models I am almost convinced a standard bar from a Cayman would fit and be stiffer still.
Anyone know for sure if a Cayman rear will fit and what size they are?
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

I'm not sure if you meant that this should be only performance related? If not, here's some upgrades you can apply to the 986 that modernise it a little more:

- The later chrome version of the 'Boxster S' rear badge, rather than the matte silver version seems to be quite nice, and also matches the exhaust tips if polished.

- The throttle body and plenum off the 997 apparently fits too? I haven't looked into this properly but there's loads of threads talking about it, along with a good performance increase.

- Front bumpers off the 996 and 996 GT3 fit onto the Boxster.

- Cayman spoiler (wing rather than an air dam) can be retro fitted

- Retrofitting projectors into reflector headlights its a cheap enough mod, as projectors are standard on a 987. £30 for the projectors on Ebay, and £60 for a decent HID kit, makes the front end quite modern and the light output far superior. The £30 Ebay ones may not be as good build quality as Morimoto's but they're still decent and are still a better upgrade than the standard reflectors.

Hope that helps
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:36 AM   #4

The 9x7 shifter assembly is a direct fit and has a 15% shorter through than the 9x6 shifter.

The 2004 Anniversary edition Boxster has this shifter along with some other 987 parts (airbox for one), I'm not sure of the others.

That's two possible upgrades, one easy (shifter) and one harder (airbox)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 AM   #5

Here's a link to a thread summarizing the OEM upgrades and a few other non-OEM mods I've made over the years: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55759-de-changed-some-interior-items.html I'll also provide some specific links below.

Top - OEM top and frame from 2004 or 2003 into an earlier car. The advantages of a glass rear window over plastic are obvious. The OEM 4-bow top allows for a larger window and better access than the aftermarket retrofit tops. In my case it also provided a headliner that was not included with my 2000 base Boxster or earlier cars.

Lights - OEM litronics (I also installed the self-leveling and low beam swivel feature.) While not technically from a later car (they were available starting in the 98 model year) they provide better illumination and are also an appearance upgrade. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55840-can-you-endure-one-more-litronic-thread-me.html

Carrera gauge cluster - nice to be able to check the oil pressure and charge condition. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html

Wood steering wheel and shift knob. (I think mine were from a 996 that was converted into a race car.) This is purely a matter of personal preference. Some people don't like wood in Porsches.

OEM intermittent wipers. I don't think these were available on a base Boxster. I know some people don't drive their Boxsters in the rain, but this is nice to have on a misty day.

Hard top

Six-channel amp from a Carrera: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14815-6-channel-amp-pnp-speakers.html

OEM seat heaters: http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/index.html
I'm currently working on adding memory seats to the power seats I installed over the last few weeks. Here are some links: Memory Seat Retrofit http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/58080-full-power-seat-installation.html

I'm looking for a 987 shifter if I can find one reasonably priced.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 01-02-2016 at 05:33 AM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Template to add to:

Engine swaps: 996 3.4L

Engine parts:

--The throttle body and plenum off the 997 apparently fits too

Interior:

--Carrera gauge cluster - nice to be able to check the oil pressure and charge condition. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/43017-carrera-gauge-swap.html

Exterior:

--2004 OEM rear bumper

--Front bumpers off the 996 and 996 GT3 fit onto the Boxster.

--Cayman spoiler (wing rather than an air dam) can be retro fitted

Steering:

Exhaust:
--2004 Boxster S muffler

Brakes:
--996 Carerra Front Brake Calipers and Rotors

--996 Carerra Rear Brake Calipers and Rotors

Suspension:
--RoW (rest of world) M030 european sport spec suspension

Wheels:
--Cayman S 18 Inch wheels -8x18 et 57 front with 14mm extended hub spacers -18x9 et 43 rear 5mm spacers (235/40/18 265/40/18)

--996 Carrera light Weight Wheels 18x7.5 front, 18x9 rear (225/40/18 front, 265/35/18 rear)

--Carrera Sport 19x8.5 et 55 front, 19x10 et 42 rear (235/35/19 front 275/30/19 rear) 11mm Brey-Krause Hub Centric-Extended wheel spacers front axle only. no spacers needed on rear axle.

--2015 Boxster Spyder 19 inch wheels. 19x8.5 et 50 front + 5mm spacer, 19x10 et 42 rear. (235/35/19 front 265/35/19 rear)

Tire sizes:

Drivetrain:
--987 shifter: 15% shorter through than the 9x6 shifter. The 2004 Anniversary edition Boxster has this shifter.
--997 Shifter: 997-424-010-00:
Just installed a new 997 shifter - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Misc parts:
--Airbox: 987 air intake box.

--Top - OEM top and frame from 2004 or 2003 into an earlier car. The advantages of a glass rear window over plastic are obvious. The OEM 4-bow top allows for a larger window and better access than the aftermarket retrofit tops. In my case it also provided a headliner that was not included with my 2000 base Boxster or earlier cars.

--Lights - OEM litronics (I also installed the self-leveling and low beam swivel feature.) While not technically from a later car (they were available starting in the 98 model year) they provide better illumination and are also an appearance upgrade. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55840-can-you-endure-one-more-litronic-thread-me.html

--OEM intermittent wipers. I don't think these were available on a base Boxster. I know some people don't drive their Boxsters in the rain, but this is nice to have on a misty day.

--Six-channel amp from a Carrera: http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/14815-6-channel-amp-pnp-speakers.html

--OEM seat heaters: Dennis Vogel: Projects - Boxster Heated Seats
I'm currently working on adding memory seats to the power seats I installed over the last few weeks. Here are some links: Memory Seat Retrofit http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/58080-full-power-seat-installation.html

--Rear badging: The later chrome version of the 'Boxster S' rear badge, rather than the matte silver version seems to be quite nice, and also matches the exhaust tips if polished.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
GT3 brake ducts.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
GT3 brake ducts.
That's a good one, I have them installed too, around $20'ish from eBay I think.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #9

Garage
996 GT3 lower control arms fit front and rear. This adds - chamber options on both to a point then GT3 Tow links are needed which also fit. Currently running both.

I have a 2004 LN modified 3.2L block sleeved to 3.6L running 2006 set of 3.4 987.1 head, but I have non-stock rods, pistons, rings, and wrist pins.

986 S front brake rotors and calipers are a direct bolt on to a 986 non-S.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 AM   #10

Garage
I had a second problem due to the amount of HP to the axles. I sheared axle bolts regularly. The 2003 axle had 10.1mm through holes but used a 8mm thread shoulder bolt. Answer seems that the 2005 and 2006 5 speed use a larger bolt and they still bolt up to the 2003 axles. Currently I run a 2005 5-speed with 10mm axle bolt (This has a slightly higher final drive)
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

On my Rainforest Green 2001 Base ...

+100% H7 high beam bulbs
Blue Vision H6W park bulbs
Osram All Season Foglight bulbs (yellow)
Extreme Vision D2S (pending)
Clear front side clearance lights (soon changed to turn repeaters)
'03 taillights (clear turn signals)

10-spoke ('03) wheels
Vredestein Extreme Winter tires on original twists

Replaced original (worn out) partial leather seats with full leather seats (oh the smell)
On the lookout for full leather door cards

Have converted all dash switches and stalks except radio to '03 matte finish
Added 4th stalk for OBC, not activated yet
Later size cigarette lighter
Non-smoker kit
Added KUDA cellphone mount
Footwell lighting pending
Rheostat for intermittent wipers pending
Auto-dim mirrors pending
Contemplating changing to '03 center dash configuration (still can have cupholders with dual DIN radio)

Changed to S front bumper (radiator is there to protect aircon pipe, won't connect otherwise)

Bought a hardtop (still seal gray)
'03 soft top hunt is on
Obtained Speedster humps
Obtained RTS
Cocoa floor mats
Obtained and about to install genuine stainless door sill guards

Rear storage box speakers added
6X40 amp from 996 Cabrio added
Added just for fun an OE CD changer
Have purchased but probably won't install Traffic Pro radio
Could forgo the center dash update and instead install the new Porsche Classic Nav+Sirius radio (single DIN) but need to learn why they don't list it for 986/996.

This is fun.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #12

Just ran into these threads regarding transmission swaps. Pretty interesting! Shorter gearing!

Audi A4 FWD transmission swap:
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/56662-audi-swap-2.html

Audi transmission Swap DIY Thread

Post # 2 in this thread:
5 speed transmission interchange

Last edited by Prelude Guy; 01-05-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
GT3 brake ducts.
Got 'em! all the difference in the world...wait, actually didn't notice. But I *feel* better with them on there!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
OEM intermittent wipers. I don't think these were available on a base Boxster. I know some people don't drive their Boxsters in the rain, but this is nice to have on a misty day.
My 2000 Boxster (base) has intermittent wipers...
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
Thanks - Do you have the window sticker for your car? Were they a separate option or part of a package?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 01-05-2016, 05:57 PM   #16

Quote:
They all do and in addition all S have a rheostat to vary the intermittent interval.
2 BMW motorcycles
Old 01-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #17

Quote:
According this: 2000****Porsche****Boxster Standard & Optional Equipment

The variable intermittent wipers weren't available on a 2000 base although the rain sensing wipers were. Who knows? Maybe they had an extra on the assembly line and decided to throw it in to be nice. (Although that doesn't sound like Porsche.)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
According this: 2000****Porsche****Boxster Standard & Optional Equipment

The variable intermittent wipers weren't available on a 2000 base although the rain sensing wipers were. Who knows? Maybe they had an extra on the assembly line and decided to throw it in to be nice. (Although that doesn't sound like Porsche.)
Ah, I don't have variable intermittent wipers, nor rain sensing. But if I move the stalk down, it goes into an intermittent mode.

Here's my window sticker just for the hell of it, because I actually do have it:

hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #19

Thanks for the clarification. For a minute I thought the Internet could have been contaminated by a piece of erroneous information.

BTW - Your car was well optioned. The sticker on your car is about $9000 more than mine. You have the full leather interior, litronics, heated power seats, 18-inch wheels and traction control that mine lacked when it was built. (I'm the second owner of my car, so I didn't decide what to order.)

Fortunately, I've been able to retrofit the litronics, heated and powered seats (with partial memory function) and a few other goodies that have increased my level of satisfaction with the car. However, I doubt I'll ever have the full-leather interior.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Here's my window sticker ...
Kind of cute to see lightronics and headlight washers listed separately, since in Germany cars fitted with HID lighting must by law have headlight washers (and automatic headlight leveling).

2 BMW motorcycles