View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #1
Prelude Guy

OE+ upgrades thread

All,

I wanted to start a thread to see which OEM parts from different models and years can be an upgrade for other models and years cars.

Personally, I have always preferred to use an OEM part over an aftermarket part if it increases performance. Every car I have owned has had another model that shares similar parts with older or current models. One shock to me was Nissan 350Z tie rods can fit onto the old Nissan S13 240SX chassis perfectly and are an upgrade!

Here are some examples of what I have run into:
I found out my OEM wheels can accept more aggressive tire profiles, engine mounts were stiffer, OEM clutches from other models were better, differential swaps, transmission swaps, brake calipers and rotors, radiators, shifters, shift knobs, anti-swaybars, control arms, steering racks, hubs, uprights, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, injectors, oil filters, exhaust components, shocks and springs, gauge clusters, seats, bumpers, fenders.

Are there any ways to create more power by combining internals and other components from various engine models?

Whats the case with the Boxster?

Please use the second post in this thread as a template and add to it. Also, if you can, please add a description of the upgrade. How it's better. If you also have a link to some discussion about the upgrade, please list that as well.

Engine swaps: 996 3.4L

Engine parts: Cranks, pulleys, cams, valve covers, heads, pistons and rods,

Interior: Shift knobs, seats, trim

Exterior: Bumpers, lights, grills, lips

Steering: Tie-rods, steering racks

Exhaust: Headers, cats, mufflers

Brakes: Rotors and calipers.

Suspension: Shocks and springs

Wheels: OEM wheels that look good and require minimal spacers to fit.

Tire sizes:

Drivetrain: transmissions Please include the code if you know it), differentials, shifters, clutch, flywheel, axles

Misc parts: Anything else you can think of. Maybe a newer model year has a part that is more desirable than an older model year part, or vice-versa. This usually applies to the interior and exterior.
Prelude Guy is offline   Reply With Quote