Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Can You Endure One More Litronic Thread From Me?

I've been obsessed with litronics since before Christmas as you can see from the following threads:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55119-986-litronics-plug-play.html

While I have been successful, I don't know how to quit while I'm ahead and I've decided to take it one step further and retrofit the automatic dynamic headlight beam adjustment (AHBA) system.

I found a thread on Renntech which discussed it and have been posting there: Litronic retrofit question - 996 Series (Carrera, Carrera 4, Carrera 4S, Targa) - RennTech.org Forums
But, it is on the 996 forum and I thought I would receive more assistance if I posted here.

Here is an update on my current status:

I received some of my parts today (thanks Itsnotanova). The sensors and brackets will probably arrive next week. Since I like to plan as much as I can and anticipate challenges, I'm going to start asking questions even though the earliest I can start the installation is about 2 weeks from now.

The first photo shows what I'm assuming to be the connectors that fit on the sensors. The sensors mount on brackets that are attached to the left side of the suspension. One is on the front and the other on the rear. They detect changes in the vehicles inclination and send signals that result in the headlight beam adjustment.

The second photo shows a close up of the connector with the red/white, blue and brown/black wires. This configuration matches the wiring diagram in my Bentley manual.

The third photo shows the control module and 18 pin connector. I think the connector is identical to the one I used in the retrofit kit. I cannot be certain that the control module is the same, so I'm going to have to test to be sure. I have both types available and I'll eventually sell the one I don't need.

The fourth photo shows the pins in the connector.

Pins 1-8 are for the wires that run to the connectors on the back of the litronic headlights. They activate the drives in the unit. I'm planning to use the connector I installed with the retrofit kit since it is already in the car and I know that it works. I will then remove pins 12, 13, 14 and 17 from the harness in the picture and use them as part of the wiring loom that connects to the sensors. Does anyone know which type of pin removal tool I need to remove the pins?

Here's the pin assignment in the connector based on my research in the Bentley manual and my experience installing the retrofit kit.

Pins 1-8 As mentioned above pins 1-8 go to the litronic drives in the headlights.

Pin 9 - Diagnostic (Blue/Orange) Not used because of the risk of throwing codes

Pin 10 - Signal on light (Gray) This looks like it runs to the cluster terminal 58, but I'm not sure what it is for

Pin 11 - ESO (Engine Speed Output) (White/Brown) This appears to run to CP (Connecting Point) 88

Pin 12 - Front sensor (Blue)

Pin 13 - Rear sensor (Blue)

Pin 14 - +5V power supply to both sensors (Red/White)

Pin 15 - Signal on high beam (White) - I already tapped this for the retrofit kit

Pin 16 - Power (Red/Black) - I already tapped this for the retrofit

Pin 17 - Ground to both sensors (Brown/Black)

Pin 18 - Ground (Brown) - Already done for the retrofit

So, right now, it looks like I am not going to be using pins 9, 10 and 11. (The post on Renntech indicates that attempting to hook up the diagnostics causes problems and isn't worth the effort.)

Everything else looks pretty straight forward. When I receive my sensors, I plan to connect them as described above and test the system before I install the sensors on the car.

All feed back and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 02-13-2015 at 07:15 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #2

Wow. I say forge ahead on your quest into the darkness and hopefully you will illuminate the path should anyone follow you!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #3

I thought I would add one more piece of information from Renntech.

The gray wire in pin 10 is the signal that tells the litronic system that the lights are on. When I remove my trunk liner, I'll provide a picture of the location where I tap into it.

(The retrofit kit didn't need it since it only works when the high beams are on. The instructions for the retrofit kit tell you to tap into a white wire that carries the high beam on signal.)
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 02-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #4

Here's a pdf with all of the information I've been able to collect on this topic. I won't be installing my system until next week at the earliest, so if anyone has comments or suggestions, please let me know.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM   #5

Yes, it's German (if not EU) law that cars with HID lighting must include headlight self leveling. Also required is headlight cleaning, which you haven't mentioned.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

I've heard the same think about the headlight washers. I guess the laws in the U.S. are not as strict.

I don't have the headlight washer components, but I have updated the document with the limited information I have about their installation. I've been taking this project one step at a time and may decide to add the washers later on.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 02-24-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:42 PM   #7

I Finished the Project

I have attached instructions for anyone that is interested.

The adjustment controlled by the sensors is relatively modest compared to the adjustment that occurs when I turn on the high beams. However, it may prevent dazzling on-coming drivers on hills.

Here's a link showing the operation:
http://youtu.be/YGkfebCCf2Y

In sequence I do the following:

1. Turn on the lights with the ignition switch on - the lights go through their self-leveling routine

2. Switch on the high beams and the Xenon low beams swivel up

3. Switch off the high beams

4. Slightly raise the front of the car using a jack

It seems that the beams swivel down slightly, but not as much as I expected. It also seems that after a relatively short range, the lights don't adjust at all.

I'd appreciate hearing whether others think this is proper operation.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 03-21-2015 at 04:59 AM.