Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Can the mph that raises the rear spoiler be changed?

Can the mph that raises the rear spoiler be changed? If possible I'd like to change it to 100 mph before it raises.

Thanks!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

Garage
Porsche says that the car becomes unstable and dangerous without the added down force from the spoiler over 75 MPH. So I doubt that there would be an easy way to do this.
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

IIRC, it is hard coded into the ECU to deploy the spoiler at 75mph.

So, my best guess to work around this is either modifying the speedometer input to trick the ECU that 100mph was 75mph (without screwing up the speedo displays in the cluster) or modify the ECU code itself.

Maybe someone else knows more and will jump in...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboxs View Post
Porsche says that the car becomes unstable and dangerous without the added down force from the spoiler over 75 MPH. So I doubt that there would be an easy way to do this.
On the Boxster it is a spoiler, not a wing. It does not produce down-force, it disrupts the airflow over the car and reduced the tendency of the car's aerodynamics to act a wing and lift.

A wing will produce down-force and actually push the rear of the car down. This needs to be co-ordinated with the suspension
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #5

why does it matter at what speed it raises? You can't see it when it's up from inside the cabin.
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
why does it matter at what speed it raises? You can't see it when it's up from inside the cabin.
Because it creates unnecessary drag on the car, plus I don't really care for the looks of it in the up position. It doesn't go back down until you slow to 50 mph. It's easy to hit 75 and then travel a long distance at a lower speed and the spoiler stays up for no reason. Yes I know about the manual raise and lower button at the fuse panel door, but that's PITA.

I'd rather it not deploy until I hit 100 mph or even 85 mph. Was hoping maybe the Durametric could set this function.

Guess I could buy one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261698591779

Last edited by KRAM36; 01-31-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:35 AM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Even with the switch, once the spoiler has been automatically deployed I don't think You can override the function.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Can the mph that raises the rear spoiler be changed? If possible I'd like to change it to 100 mph before it raises.

Thanks!
Just cut it off from the Porsche's system and built your own. Hardware: Arduino + automotive 12vdc relay ($20). Hand code one simple condition in your arduino backend (e.g. if >150mph then PIN#HIGH else PIN#LOW end)

The speedo analog signal can be tapped from the OBDII harness, and so its ground.

But you knew all about Arduino did you? If not it takes a day to learn on their site (ask their million-members-forum for support if you ever need lol)
Old 01-31-2015, 04:43 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
On the Boxster it is a spoiler, not a wing. It does not produce down-force, it disrupts the airflow over the car and reduced the tendency of the car's aerodynamics to act a wing and lift.

A wing will produce down-force and actually push the rear of the car down. This needs to be co-ordinated with the suspension
Ah! I see! I havn't ever really researched it. Just what I've read in my owners manual. Thx!
Redboxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Because it creates unnecessary drag on the car, plus I don't really care for the looks of it in the up position.
It keep the car from lifting at higher speeds. Probably does add some negligible drag, but that is what it is supposed to do.
Porsche put it there for a reason!

Why are you concerned with drag anyway? Are you trying for a high speed record?

In any case, if you don't want the spoiler to deploy, you probably could get inside it and disconnect the gears and while the motor would still work and therefore no CEL, it would not move.

There probably are alternate methods as some have added fixed wings and disconnected the spoiler and have no codes.
Do some searching here, on boxa.net, boxster register and rennlist boxster forum

Last edited by JayG; 01-31-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:03 AM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
It keep the car from lifting at higher speeds. Probably does add some negligible drag, but that is what it is supposed to do.
Porsche put it there for a reason!

Why are you concerned with drag anyway? Are you trying for a high speed record?

In any case, if you don't want the spoiler to deploy, you probably could get inside it and disconnect the gears and while the motor would still work and therefore no CEL, it would not move.

There probably are alternate methods as some have added fixed wings and disconnected the spoiler and have no codes.
Do some searching here, on boxa.net, boxster register and rennlist boxster forum
I want the spoiler to come up, but I don't think it's needed at 75 mph.

Why am I concerned with drag? Because this is my DD and that causes fuel economy to go down and drag isn't the only thing, I think it looks tacky when deployed for no reason.

I rarely hit 85 mph, but 75 mph is easy when the highway speed is 70 mph and you need to get around another car. So here is this spoiler up for no reason and doesn't come back down until 50 mph.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #12

For safety reasons raising the speed at which it goes up is risky. My thought is that instead the speed at which it drops back down be changed. Instead of 50 let's say 65 or maybe even 70. I always thought the 25 gap was a bit much.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
I want the spoiler to come up, but I don't think it's needed at 75 mph.

Why am I concerned with drag? Because this is my DD and that causes fuel economy to go down and drag isn't the only thing, I think it looks tacky when deployed for no reason.

I rarely hit 85 mph, but 75 mph is easy when the highway speed is 70 mph and you need to get around another car. So here is this spoiler up for no reason and doesn't come back down until 50 mph.
Fuel economy, really? slow down a bit, that will improve your fuel economy.

I get around 27 mpg on the hwy doing 75-80, so I don't know what you expect. A Boxster is not an economy car and was not meant to be one
Besides the spoiler at worst has a negligible effect on fuel economy

The spoiler comes up at 75 for a reason. I am fairly certain that Porsche did a lot of wind tunnel testing and determined that 75 is where it is needed.
The spoiler is up FOR A REASON!!!

Basic aerodynamics are in play here. the shape of the car acts like an airfoil (wing). when air flows over the top of a wing, it moves faster than the air below the wing and creates a partial vacuum. this causes the wing to move towards the partial vacuum, in this case up. by disrupting that airflow over the top, it prevents the partial vacuum and therefor prevents the car from lifting. It is exactly how the wing on an airplane works and why they deploy spoilers on landing.

A proper wing on the back of a car is in fact inverted and the airflow is faster on the bottom, causing down-force. In a car you need to counteract that down-force with springs (adjustable coil-overs)to push up a bit

They probability have the down set at 50 so once it is up, its not constantly moving up and down

Last edited by JayG; 01-31-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:17 AM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
For safety reasons raising the speed at which it goes up is risky. My thought is that instead the speed at which it drops back down be changed. Instead of 50 let's say 65 or maybe even 70. I always thought the 25 gap was a bit much.
That is probably a better idea. To change the speed at which it drops. Installing that button would probably be the easiest way to drop it back down.

I was really hoping a tool like the Durametric could change the spoiler operation speeds. I have not had enough time to explore what all the Durametric can do.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #15
Rennzenn

Garage
Fwiw, I picked up 1-2 mpg by going to an underdrive pulley.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 AM   #16
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
Fwiw, I picked up 1-2 mpg by going to an underdrive pulley.
That's already on my to do list, didn't know it helped mpg though, thanks.

I need to change out the metal impeller water pump I installed when in a pinch last summer. So I'm going to do the UDP and Low Temp Stat at the same time.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #17

Hey don't mess with the 'active aero' man. That's right folks our cars were SO ahead of their time- so be proud of that sweet little, variable flap!
Kram- just think about what those huge GT2 air suckers are going to do to your aero...How about rigging up some slides that limit airflow through them above say, 50 MPH?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #18
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Hey don't mess with the 'active aero' man. That's right folks our cars were SO ahead of their time- so be proud of that sweet little, variable flap!
Kram- just think about what those huge GT2 air suckers are going to do to your aero...How about rigging up some slides that limit airflow through them above say, 50 MPH?
The bumper replacement is on hold. http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/55530-goy-my-new-front-rear-bumpers-wheels-way.html#post433870

You do make a valid point on that, but the cooling benefit would be worth it, plus it looks sweeeeeeet! The rear spoiler sticking up doesn't look sweet to me, but yes it's a nice and needed feature. I believe the slots in the upper portion of that front bumper would allow the air to escape and give front down force too. So that would probably reduce mpg too, not sure at what speed that would come into play though.

Like I said, this is a DD mostly, but I do take her out to some nasty fun twisties now and then. Hence the lager wheel and tire upgrade and ROW M030 suspension.

The rear spoiler isn't just about mpg, I think it looks tacky when up and I only want it up when needed. Seems the dash button control would be my best option.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Track rat

Garage
Yaaa, I kinda like the function of the spoiler even if it is unattractive. It "spoils" both lift and drag in the rear which keeps the car planted at speed and also improves mileage. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can't even see mine while driving so it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:50 PM   #20
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Yaaa, I kinda like the function of the spoiler even if it is unattractive. It "spoils" both lift and drag in the rear which keeps the car planted at speed and also improves mileage. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I can't even see mine while driving so it doesn't bother me at all.
Can you explain more how the extra drag the spoiler puts on the car actually improves mpg?

Seems I'm not the only person to think about this.

http://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-forum/624522-anyone-ever-disable-their-rear-spoiler.html

Interestingly in that thread it says the Durametric can disable the spoiler. Will have to dig into this some more, would be nice if it could change the speed settings too. Crud, just realized the person said Durametric Professional and I have the Enthusiast.

Byprodriver even posted in that thread he wished his spoiler raise speed could be changed to 80.

Last edited by KRAM36; 01-31-2015 at 05:59 PM.