View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 09:09 AM   #13
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I want the spoiler to come up, but I don't think it's needed at 75 mph.

Why am I concerned with drag? Because this is my DD and that causes fuel economy to go down and drag isn't the only thing, I think it looks tacky when deployed for no reason.

I rarely hit 85 mph, but 75 mph is easy when the highway speed is 70 mph and you need to get around another car. So here is this spoiler up for no reason and doesn't come back down until 50 mph.
Fuel economy, really? slow down a bit, that will improve your fuel economy.

I get around 27 mpg on the hwy doing 75-80, so I don't know what you expect. A Boxster is not an economy car and was not meant to be one
Besides the spoiler at worst has a negligible effect on fuel economy

The spoiler comes up at 75 for a reason. I am fairly certain that Porsche did a lot of wind tunnel testing and determined that 75 is where it is needed.
The spoiler is up FOR A REASON!!!

Basic aerodynamics are in play here. the shape of the car acts like an airfoil (wing). when air flows over the top of a wing, it moves faster than the air below the wing and creates a partial vacuum. this causes the wing to move towards the partial vacuum, in this case up. by disrupting that airflow over the top, it prevents the partial vacuum and therefor prevents the car from lifting. It is exactly how the wing on an airplane works and why they deploy spoilers on landing.

A proper wing on the back of a car is in fact inverted and the airflow is faster on the bottom, causing down-force. In a car you need to counteract that down-force with springs (adjustable coil-overs)to push up a bit

They probability have the down set at 50 so once it is up, its not constantly moving up and down
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 01-31-2015 at 06:57 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote