Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
2004 Boxster S

Poor man's Porsche? Yes! Some preventative maintenance, IMSB and clutch, a few mods... oh, I'm poorer alright!

And yet so much richer for owning such a fun car! Let people think what they want, I'm on the "have more fun" plan.

evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
oh my god I cant believe this
relax my friend it is just a car and be careful like Eric G said there is very sick people here. they will follow you in other posts. if you dont believe then go see in Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
the truth follows you forever...
Why would you say I'm sick for calling Madmods on his behaviour throughout the last 3 wks or so? Did I break one of your rules? Are you his protector now? Do you think questioning someone's sanity is 'nice' and easily forgivable behaviour? Is this how you get along with others? You are no ones hero.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #23
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
I wonder what these ppl would call the miata?!
In Europe, I've heard the Miata called a secretary's Porsche.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

Poor man's Porsche? I absolutely agree with this statement.

I've been broker than a joke since I bought one.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
the truth follows you forever...
Why would you say I'm sick for calling Madmods on his behaviour throughout the last 3 wks or so? Did I break one of your rules? Are you his protector now? Do you think questioning someone's sanity is 'nice' and easily forgivable behaviour? Is this how you get along with others? You are no ones hero.
this above moodsman, do you see a patern???

i dont care about madmod. its not that. you see Moodsman the first day i came to this forum the first thing i see is a post from you saying to someone "stop trying to control everyone and everything-- you are not the boss here" and when the guy apologise you reply "You are not in control". reminder here post #40 The Boxster, the poor man's porsche and Inferiority complex and post#56 The Boxster, the poor man's porsche and Inferiority complex so i tell myself this guy is certainly not healthy in the head

after on another post and twice you come and do harrassment to nine8six calling madmod. irelevant to the post nature and yes it is sick. reminder post#26 Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish) and post#5 Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

i am very surprise the admin did not ban your account for harrassment and later stalking like you do

you are a very scary moodsman this is a car forum not a place to show your weak mind illness. you are not well and need to see a doctor my friend. believe me i know when i see a sick guy. i just want to see you well my friend that is why i tell you. it is my culture you understand

again Moodsman. the fact that you 1. judge someone by calling his behaviour on a car forum 2.stalking him in other posts 3.get on your high horse when someone tell you to get well when you are doing the same to someone else is a very clear patern of chronic insanity

Canada health service is free i heard many time so please run forest run out of your woods and go get a head oil change

oh and one more thing moodsman. ask me again if i need to be easily forgiven by a guy like you. it is so funny. bwaahahahahahahahahahahah

poorman everything. yes I will defend my friends if they are keeping quiet. madmod or not. get well soon my new friend moodsman
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 PM   #26

Quote:
this above moodsman, do you see a patern???

i dont care about madmod. its not that. you see Moodsman the first day i came to this forum the first thing i see is a post from you saying to someone "stop trying to control everyone and everything-- you are not the boss here" and when the guy apologise you reply "You are not in control". reminder here post #40 The Boxster, the poor man's porsche and Inferiority complex and post#56 The Boxster, the poor man's porsche and Inferiority complex so i tell myself this guy is certainly not healthy in the head

after on another post and twice you come and do harrassment to nine8six calling madmod. irelevant to the post nature and yes it is sick. reminder post#26 Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish) and post#5 Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

i am very surprise the admin did not ban your account for harrassment and later stalking like you do

you are a very scary moodsman this is a car forum not a place to show your weak mind illness. you are not well and need to see a doctor my friend. believe me i know when i see a sick guy. i just want to see you well my friend that is why i tell you. it is my culture you understand

again Moodsman. the fact that you 1. judge someone by calling his behaviour on a car forum 2.stalking him in other posts 3.get on your high horse when someone tell you to get well when you are doing the same to someone else is a very clear patern of chronic insanity

Canada health service is free i heard many time so please run forest run out of your woods and go get a head oil change

oh and one more thing moodsman. ask me again if i need to be easily forgiven by a guy like you. it is so funny. bwaahahahahahahahahahahah

poorman everything. yes I will defend my friends if they are keeping quiet. madmod or not. get well soon my new friend moodsman

Ditto.............
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Ditto.............
you had same problem with this guy???
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #28

Quote:
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimer View Post
so is the 944 the poor mans 968? Is the 924 the poor mans 944? Is the cayman also the poor mans 911?

Who gives a crap what people say. I bought mine and paid waaaay to much for it, but I liked the car. My DD is an accord. Most people dont know I drive a Porsche. But if they do find out, I always hear...man I wish I had your money. LOL. Now my 356 speedsters were a different story all together. But those were just the poor mans 356 Cabriolet werent they?

I wonder if the 911 is the poor mans Panamera? Or is the Cayenne (ugly as it is - sorry fans JMO) the poor mans versions of the Audi?

I guess at the end of the day...I am really at the low end of the totem poll. I dont even have an S. so my boxster is the poor mans version of the boxster s. wow - that sucks for me.
You are absolutely right. I also have the poor man's version of d boxster since i dont have the s as well, but i do have some great fun with it, and as you said, i'd chose a boxster everday over a cayenne, no matter d price. Ive driven quite a loy of cars in my life, but few have given me the satisfaction that the boxster gives me,especially in corners. As fun factor goes, its up there with the best of them imo
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #30

If you have to define your sense of self worth by the car you drive or other people's comments about it, you are in big trouble.

Never heard anything but admiring complements from kids on the street corner, from adults, from the mom driving a beater, to the cowboy driving a pick-up.

But then I never felt the need to win a drag race. Of the 3 Porsche's I have owned, the 1.6 was more fun than the 2.5 which was more fun than the 3.2. All were fast enough for me.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
Have you had this happen a lot ?
The only reason I ask is that you are local to me , and it seems SoCal people are more likely to give the thumbs or a positive comment at lights , or simply keep quiet if they don't like an automobile ...
I have never had anything negative said to me whilst in the boxster , even though I'm expecting the "girl's car" comment with the wheels ..
Its never happened, but I wouldn't care if they did.

I think its a car culture here and most people appreciate the diversity without being judgemental of feeling threatened.

Everyone has their opinion or is just trying to get a rise out of someone when they say something like that anyway.

I have finally seen another Boxster on my commute and we give the thumbs up to each other several mornings a week.

Other just look and admire, or want to race.

I have found that when I drive aggresive theres always someone else that feels they need to prove something to me and zoom by, but I don't see them having radar detectors and one day their ego is going to cost them plenty.

I had nearly forgotten that my spoiler has "PORSHE" sticker across it and perhaps they think I pop it out at them on purpose.

But I digress!

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 09-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
It is nothing more than semantics in that one person makes a statement and others agree. We could all pat ourselves on our backs if the group think was "yeah, the Boxster is a full on Porsche". Instead the question successfully divides this house of those that feel it is and those that don't.

In short, this is a self determined issue, if you want to consider your Boxster a poor mans Porsche than it. You can also go by what others tell you for everything else.

Plain and simple choose for yourself or accept what others tell you.

My Boxster is a Porsche, built by Porsche and nothing more than four wheels of open sky fun!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric G View Post
It is nothing more than semantics in that one person makes a statement and others agree. We could all pat ourselves on our backs if the group think was "yeah, the Boxster is a full on Porsche". Instead the question successfully divides this house of those that feel it is and those that don't.

In short, this is a self determined issue, if you want to consider your Boxster a poor mans Porsche than it. You can also go by what others tell you for everything else.

Plain and simple choose for yourself or accept what others tell you.

My Boxster is a Porsche, built by Porsche and nothing more than four wheels of open sky fun!
Nicely Put...Amen
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #34
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
I don't hear nearly the crap about having a "chic car" that I did when I had a TT!

And it bothers me about the same -- that is to say, zip.

Seriously, I can't imagine something I'd care less about than what someone else thinks about what I drive. (except my wife, who thinks it's a money pit, but graciously tolerates it)
+1 for being a former TT owner, now Box S owner, with the wife-money pit scenario. Though she loved the TT and now the Boxster. Just wait til I get an old 911 for restoring, then we're talking money pit!
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #35

Quote:
time for the group hug monsieur?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #36

Garage
Just the other day I had a motorist tell me that I looked like "million bucks" in the Dangermobile. And I'm not even covered under Obama Care.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Just the other day I had a motorist tell me that I looked like "million bucks" in the Dangermobile. And I'm not even covered under Obama Care.
What were you wearing??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
What were you wearing??
Something casual, but nice.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #39

A year later ... but what the heck.

Me and my business partner rolled up in the 986 for a meeting to discuss a potential iPhone app. Whilst outside the developer's premises we had a quick smoke to relax, calm the nerves and prepare ... whereupon the outer doors opened and the director of the company came out and said 'Wow, nice car'.

We now hide the car to save money on a deal.

People make assumptions. The 986 is not a poor man's car; it's a Porsche. And the dealers, business people, your friends, family and people in the street believe you're a rich individual.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #40

Rich is not bad, rich=successful.

In what light would you like people to see you and your company?

If I was dealing with you and saw your car I'd think, yes, this company is smart and successful, perhaps a little more expensive to hire them but probably worth it.

I would not think that I was going to get your services at a bargain price.

Maybe thats just me though, here in the US, not sure how culturally the folks in UK may see things differently.

Magnus Walker of Urban Outlaw is an interesting study of perception.
He looks like he could be a homeless person, but he is a successful business man and has a warehouse full of 911's that are his hobby. He does custom 911 builds and you won't get one of his for any kind of discount. I think he's of Brittish descent too as he seems to have an accent.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote