Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #1

Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)

I am currently designing a set of Porsche headlights for my guard red boxster 986 and thought it would be cool to share with other members as I go along with the built.

I will be using the famous clear BOSCH headlights found on most Porsche Boxster 986 year 2002-2004. P/N: 986 631 131 14 and 986 631 132 14. I've ordered a spanking NEW set of those and likely to receive them this Thursday (if FedEx is not lying to me).

The first step is to design a custom projector shroud (aluminum) for the aftermarket bi-xenon projectors that I got. Next will be to make a sleeve (1mm PVC cylinder) that goes from the shroud down to the stock reflector. The goal with this design is to ensure that there is no light or any glare coming out from the back of the headlight. I need 1 (one) source of light coming from the projector lens alone. In other words, I am after a quality beam of light.

As you can see from my initial CAD design, I am borrowing the Carrera GT headlight style for the projector's shroud design, but using a 2.5" lens instead of the stock GT Carrera huge 3.5".

I'll post more pictures and what I am doing soon enough. I'll be turning the stock aluminum in the lathe and carry out 4-axis CNC operations on the shrouds as soon as this coming weekend.

Below is the initial CAD work. The black dish holding the whole assembly is the OEM chrome reflector found in the BOSCH headlight (to be soon painted in matte black). It will look better when all assembled in the headlight no worries!

Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #2

You might want to check out this thread,

Custom headlights conversion to Litronic style (w/pics)
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is View Post
You might want to check out this thread,

Custom headlights conversion to Litronic style (w/pics)
Excellent thread and information. Very kind, thank you so much
Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #4

Garage
Hello madmods!
Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Hello madmods!
SHhhhhhhh!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Hello madmods!
lol Madmods, flattering thank you. I was a big fan.

I've heard from someone who knows Madmods very well that he received serious threats from a member (by PM) and one of those sadly included a death threat. From his posts & info, that same member managed to work things out and tracked him down to where he works. Unfortunately he sent additional threats using that channel. To be on the safe side Madmods decided to ghost his posts (and all details) including himself until this gets resolved. I was told he had to do the same thing on another forum he is member of (a working dog training forum).

What I've learn from his story; NEVER tell anyone that he drive a poor man' car with a complex of any sort, or initiate a thread on that similar subject. It can wake up a hater from the dead (fun), some other will simply be stalking (sick), or one can even become completely twisted and track you down (mental/dangerous).

And now, back to the GT style headlight DIY!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:05 AM   #7

I still haven't received the clear headlights. Customs clearance seems to be an impediment and take longer than I thought it would.

A bit of progress. I've started on the shroud prototype for the projector. Took delivery of the AL 6061 T6 billet stocks at 19:00 and had to spin one of them on the lathe that same evening! The high pitch and regular techno beats those machines makes is excellent for relaxation

Here goes a few shots... classic entertainer

Here goes the shroud, unfinished. Still got to write a few gcode lines and off to the 4th axis!

/
Old 09-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

Cant wait to see how these turn out
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
lol Madmods, flattering thank you. I was a big fan.

I've heard from someone who knows Madmods very well that he received serious threats from a member (by PM) and one of those sadly included a death threat. From his posts & info, that same member managed to work things out and tracked him down to where he works. Unfortunately he sent additional threats using that channel. To be on the safe side Madmods decided to ghost his posts (and all details) including himself until this gets resolved. I was told he had to do the same thing on another forum he is member of (a working dog training forum).

What I've learn from his story; NEVER tell anyone that he drive a poor man' car with a complex of any sort, or initiate a thread on that similar subject. It can wake up a hater from the dead (fun), some other will simply be stalking (sick), or one can even become completely twisted and track you down (mental/dangerous).

And now, back to the GT style headlight DIY!
Sorry to hear that, Madmods
Which forum member, by chance? I'd like to know so I can insult him personally on driving cheap Porsche :P
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

Completed the 4th axis gcode and cutting. Needs a bit of adjustment so I'll have to run another prototype unit before doing the real thing next week. This proto is really to set the cutters, CNC machining gcode, and test the materials before doing the 'real pair'. When you have your stuff ready and all properly tested, things goes much faster when you do the real part. This will also assures that both sides will be identical.

Got the shroud clear anodized for 60min and paint sprayed it with VHT High Temp spray paint (Nu-Cast Aluminum P/N VHT SP995). The look & feel is the same as Arctic Silver and make the shroud look like a factory unit instead of a cheap machined shiny aluminum part. Anodizing is required to open the pores on the aluminum thus making a paint job permanent. It's becomes almost impossible to strip paint from anodized surfaces without the use of very strong chemicals (DRANO being one of them). Anodizing also makes the aluminum extremely strong and resistant to corrosion and further oxidation.

The anodizing and high temp resistant paint COMBO is the only choice for a durable part inside of what appears to be an oven. Closed headlights can become very hot during summer days so materials especially paints needs to be selected with extreme care - especially when converting to black like I'm planning to do. VHT and OMP both does quality heat resistant spray paints, VHT having a wider range of colours tho. Both brands are very expansive but using them guaranty nothing will peel off or flake on a hot summer day. Somehow priceless for Porsche headlights imo.

(camera flash was inappropriate here. Does look top quality when dry e.g. semi gloss arctic silver)

Until this prototype dries fully, does take a good 24-36 curing time, I am testing a another VHT painted aluminum/anodized surface I've prepared yesterday. Now it's just a matter of adjusting the perfect intensity on the Laser for a high resolution quality etching job. Yes, I plan on having a circular lettering pattern on the front of the shroud. Makes them look "brighter" (but not necessarily smarter lol).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #11

Next step, in the oven at 200degree for 72hrs nonstop. Hope those parts and etching, edges, etc will pass the test.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Next step, in the oven at 200degree for 72hrs nonstop. Hope those parts and etching, edges, etc will pass the test.
If it comes out well, would you make a pair for sell?

/another red boxster that needs some new headlights...
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelove View Post
Cant wait to see how these turn out
Should look just like the Carrera GT kit (right lol!)

If not, it will be close enough. The idea of having a 30degree chamfer on the face is to simulate the "angel eye" effect. The light bouncing on the 30 degree edge make these quite unique looking - its just perfect and clean imo.

Sneak peek below (taken on a 25watts desk lamp). Sick under HID trust me. Just too lazy to plug in the HID kit again, I've just put it away two hour ago. You'll get the idea I'm sure.

I got a C-GT about 2 miles from my place and I always see this guy during the weekends or at the track. He drives me nuts and single-sided deaf each time he revs up next to me with his titanium straight pipes :/ Wait until he sees MY headlights lol

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-06-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiver View Post
If it comes out well, would you make a pair for sell?

/another red boxster that needs some new headlights...
I'm building this GT headlight based on one specific bi-xenon assembly. Meaning you'll need the same kit: 2x GT style shrouds + 2x bi-xenon projectors. Still cheap no worries there. Not super high tech as you can see.

Any retailed HID lighting can be used to fire up the kit I'm guessing.

Let's talk when completed. I may send this design to a manufacturer if a few of the 986 and 996 guys are interested. For now let's hope all turn up to be what it should Wish me luck.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
I'm building this GT headlight based on one specific bi-xenon assembly. Meaning you'll need the same kit: 2x GT style shrouds + 2x bi-xenon projectors. Still cheap no worries there. Not super high tech as you can see.

Any retailed HID lighting can be used to fire up the kit I'm guessing.

Let's talk when completed. I may send this design to a manufacturer if a few of the 986 and 996 guys are interested. For now let's hope all turn up to be what it should Wish me luck.
Can't wait to see the final product!
reiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Should look just like the Carrera GT kit (right lol!)

If not, it will be close enough. The idea of having a 30degree chamfer on the face is to simulate the "angel eye" effect. The light bouncing on the 30 degree edge make these quite unique looking - its just perfect and clean imo.

non mais putin this is amazing. If the result is really like on the picture then I want you to make a kit for me also. I know the mean and elegant look of the carrera gt it is exactly as on your picture. well done replicating this for the normal Porsche

also cant wait to see this happening. subscribed
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #17

Garage
I would be interested in a pair if you develop for sale.
Great project!
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #18

Teaser for the moment. This is where I'm going with that project.

Already looking good from the picture so in theory, it should looks even better in real life Everything is cooking for another 2 days so I'll take the weekend off on this one. I'll get back to work this coming Monday or Tuesday evening. Hopefully I should have received the headlights by then.

(Picture credit goes to member Boxster7614. His built with the black interior was my main source of inspiration).
See his thread at: Black HIDs

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-07-2013 at 10:16 AM. Reason: pic update
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
non mais putin this is amazing. If the result is really like on the picture then I want you to make a kit for me also. I know the mean and elegant look of the carrera gt it is exactly as on your picture. well done replicating this for the normal Porsche

also cant wait to see this happening. subscribed
Very much alike but not the same. The GT's has two angel eye effects on its shroud, mine will be limited to one. Not a huge fan of super bright front-end anyway.

Reusing the main source of light for the angel eye makes it what it is indeed! I certainly agree with your "elegant" point.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I would be interested in a pair if you develop for sale.
Great project!
Van

2-4weeks max project. I'll keep updates coming

Thanks Van