Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #21
Likes her Top OFF

Interested in a set if you sell one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

nakedteets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedteets View Post
Interested in a set if you sell one
Thanks for the support, nice one!

Ok, I'll run a batch on those and list them on my ebay for grab. Of course I'll keep you Reiver, Takart and Van on priority no worries.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Very much alike but not the same. The GT's has two angel eye effects on its shroud, mine will be limited to one. Not a huge fan of super bright front-end anyway.

Reusing the main source of light for the angel eye makes it what it is indeed! I certainly agree with your "elegant" point.
I don't like the led or halo eyes that is why i'm interested in your idea very much. by the way your concept pictures are on the french porsche forum now. haha sorry. a few of 996 guys want to talk with you. send you the link by pm

your last picture with the red boxster headlight style. look really good. I can confirm now that I want to buy the kit when it's ready. Keep me inform please
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
2006 987

Garage
looks good

i've been looking for a way to convert my 987 foglights to good LED like modern porsches have.

Cayman LED Spars with Radiator Guards (fits 2006-2008) Group Buy - was making some for the cayman and offered to make some for the boxster but there wasn't enough interest
Old 09-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #25

It always amazes me how motivated some people are! Awesome!
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #26

////////////////

Last edited by woodsman; 09-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #27

the only pattern we see is this some other will simply be stalking (sick). I think you need some serious help woodsman

Last edited by TAKART; 09-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Thanks for the support, nice one!

Ok, I'll run a batch on those and list them on my ebay for grab. Of course I'll keep you Reiver, Takart and Van on priority no worries.
THANK you. I did like you and order the headlights same with the white corner. please keep us updated. did you get my pm?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #29

Hmmmm I just saw this interesting topic !
I would like to see the result in real life if it's not a problem.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #30

For my two cents worth, all I can say is very impresive indeed.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #31
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Seriously nice work!

Last edited by particlewave; 09-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #32

Finally done selecting the paint after completing a non-stop 67hrs cooking session at 225degree on two different unit. Without a peel or a single bubble. I'm pretty convinced the unit will be able to endure a few years of medium to hot weather.

*Design update*

I've designed a custom lens mounting system to achieve a simpler assembly. Therefore no more fitting PVC cylinder and gluing shroud ideas! What I got now is a solid and lightweight aluminum complete unit. Installation should be as easy as replacing a light bulb.

Other than that not much more. I've shorten the shroud by 10mm making it look a bit more like the Carrera GT lens. It's now 30mm in length. Looks far better imo

See through view. I haven't bothered to model the cutoff plate and the solenoid. They do not interfere with the design so pointless to waste time there.

Sliced view of the assembly. The weird box inside is are only proportions and represents the compartment for the solenoid ie. the coil that activate the cutoff plate (high/low beams flip flap thingny).

How the unit will be assembled. The four tabs of the skirt will be secured with SS304 M4 screws, shroud and lens mounted with 1,300 degree high temp industrial epoxy (very expansive stuff, and unforgiving).

The back view. I've left two ventilation ducts. Unfortunately I am being told by the manufacturer of the projector that the unit can't be closed completely. This is to ensure the longevity of the HID bulb.

Rendering of the assembly. This is the whole unit really. Clean and Plug-&-Play!

Will update as it goes. Moving on to shopping for materials tomorrow, CAM work thursday and production on Friday eve and (very possibly) the weekend as well. We'll see how things pans out here.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
looks good

i've been looking for a way to convert my 987 foglights to good LED like modern porsches have.
The guy to ask here is Particlewave. Having seen a few of his threads and DIY, he clearly knows more than anyone in the trade RE this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
It always amazes me how motivated some people are! Awesome!
Passion for whatever you do is key. Motivation, call it the way you want. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKART View Post
THANK you. I did like you and order the headlights same with the white corner. please keep us updated. did you get my pm?
You go too fast for me Takart but I appreciate the support. Cheers mate. PM replied (ouch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
Hmmmm I just saw this interesting topic !
I would like to see the result in real life if it's not a problem.
Don't see any problems, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
For my two cents worth, all I can say is very impresive indeed.
Mostly fun and relaxing project mate. The real impressive stuff is locked away on an encrypted hdd

Thanks for looking guys. great encouragement, great forum, brilliant people!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #34

Garage
Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #35

Garage
These look great!
Congrats on your work.
Van
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #36

Nine8six, do you have a Canadian car with stock Daytime Running Lights?

The non-DRL folks are wiring low beam wires to the projector bulb and splitting off the high beam power to the cutoff shield solenoid. Easy.

HOWEVER, the stock DRL uses the low beams, supplying reduced voltage to the lows in DRL mode, which would be an issue for the projector. HID Vendor: The reduced DRL voltage generally isn't compatible with aftermarket HIDs, but with some advanced configuring you should be able to set it up.

If you have stock DRLs I'd love to know how your going to work it.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #37

The lights are coming along great! awesome! I want to know what software your using to draw these images ??
Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Nine8six, do you have a Canadian car with stock Daytime Running Lights?

The non-DRL folks are wiring low beam wires to the projector bulb and splitting off the high beam power to the cutoff shield solenoid. Easy.

HOWEVER, the stock DRL uses the low beams, supplying reduced voltage to the lows in DRL mode, which would be an issue for the projector. HID Vendor: The reduced DRL voltage generally isn't compatible with aftermarket HIDs, but with some advanced configuring you should be able to set it up.

If you have stock DRLs I'd love to know how your going to work it.
My litronic equipped Canadian car delivers batt voltage to the capacitor's plug in point as soon as the car starts. Maybe all you need then is a DRL relay/ CU from the lit set-up. I just bought a new one for $63 at MCL. A look at the schematics would confirm.
Oh, ah, I think 9eight6 is in China these days....
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
My litronic equipped Canadian car delivers batt voltage to the capacitor's plug in point as soon as the car starts. Maybe all you need then is a DRL relay/ CU from the lit set-up. I just bought a new one for $63 at MCL. A look at the schematics would confirm.
Oh, ah, I think 9eight6 is in China these days....
my friend moodsman. how you doing. please don't send me this pm anymore.

pm from moodyman yesterday "You better chill real quick or I'll sue you for slander/libel- look it up you little mouthy frog . In Canada calling someone sick and a stalker is grounds for a lawsuit. Your about 6 yrs old inside so shut your mouth before it costs you$$$$$$$$"

YOU are the stalker not me. see up post#26. yes sue me bwaaahahahahhaha

do you think calling someone little mouthy frog is 'nice' and easily forgivable behaviour? quote from you post#22 poor man's porsche

see you soon my new moodsman friend
Old 09-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #40

Takart, I believe Woodsman genuinely responded to another member's request. What ever he adds up please just let him do his thing - it's a free world. Therefore could I please ask you (asking politely) to use another channel if you have any differences. This thread is meant for Headlights retrofitting.

That would be very kind, (civil) and much appreciated.