View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Nine8Six

Completed the 4th axis gcode and cutting. Needs a bit of adjustment so I'll have to run another prototype unit before doing the real thing next week. This proto is really to set the cutters, CNC machining gcode, and test the materials before doing the 'real pair'. When you have your stuff ready and all properly tested, things goes much faster when you do the real part. This will also assures that both sides will be identical.

Got the shroud clear anodized for 60min and paint sprayed it with VHT High Temp spray paint (Nu-Cast Aluminum P/N VHT SP995). The look & feel is the same as Arctic Silver and make the shroud look like a factory unit instead of a cheap machined shiny aluminum part. Anodizing is required to open the pores on the aluminum thus making a paint job permanent. It's becomes almost impossible to strip paint from anodized surfaces without the use of very strong chemicals (DRANO being one of them). Anodizing also makes the aluminum extremely strong and resistant to corrosion and further oxidation.

The anodizing and high temp resistant paint COMBO is the only choice for a durable part inside of what appears to be an oven. Closed headlights can become very hot during summer days so materials especially paints needs to be selected with extreme care - especially when converting to black like I'm planning to do. VHT and OMP both does quality heat resistant spray paints, VHT having a wider range of colours tho. Both brands are very expansive but using them guaranty nothing will peel off or flake on a hot summer day. Somehow priceless for Porsche headlights imo.

(camera flash was inappropriate here. Does look top quality when dry e.g. semi gloss arctic silver)

Until this prototype dries fully, does take a good 24-36 curing time, I am testing a another VHT painted aluminum/anodized surface I've prepared yesterday. Now it's just a matter of adjusting the perfect intensity on the Laser for a high resolution quality etching job. Yes, I plan on having a circular lettering pattern on the front of the shroud. Makes them look "brighter" (but not necessarily smarter lol).

Last edited by Nine8Six; 09-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote