Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #1

poor man's porsche

Why the hell is there this saying between people, saying the boxster is a poor man's porsche, or that it is a girl's car?
Most of the people saying it most probably cant afford one themselves and it makes them feel better saying. It. Yes id love to have a 911 turbo, but untill then im still really happy with my boxster,and its not like they were selling for 10k when they were new, there's nothing poor about it. Regarding a girl's car, i think they call it that cause they think its down on power. Again. Shows that theyve never driven one. I wonder what these ppl would call the miata?!

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

Saying that the Boxster is a poor mans Porsche, immediatly identifies the person making such statement as uninformed, misinformed , and all further uterances by same can be interpreted as mindless babble of no consequence nor credibility.

I tune them out just as quickly as I do the Simpsons on TV.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Last time a thread like this was put forward...it didn't end well. Let's hope everyone can stay civil in the thread.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
petrol head

Garage
heard a comment on this subject from a non Boxster owner (he's a mechanic) quote was " Poor man's Porsche?? i don't think so' the're 90% 911 but 60% the price.
Wasn't involved in the discussion but i thought HERE HERE !!!!
always porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Garage
I don't hear nearly the crap about having a "chic car" that I did when I had a TT!

And it bothers me about the same -- that is to say, zip.

Seriously, I can't imagine something I'd care less about than what someone else thinks about what I drive. (except my wife, who thinks it's a money pit, but graciously tolerates it)
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #6

Do we really need to drag out this same tired old topic again? Really? Perhaps you'd like to ask what oil you should use, or what kind of tires to buy? :troll:
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #7

oh my god I cant believe this
relax my friend it is just a car and be careful like Eric G said there is very sick people here. they will follow you in other posts. if you dont believe then go see in Porsche Headlight Retrofit [from CAD, prototyping to finish)
TAKART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

Unfortunately, that's how my friends feel about porsche boxster. It's the cheap version of the 911.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

Most people want to remain exclusive to something and they pay alot of money for it.With the Boxster being so high performance/low price you have taken away their exclusivity
polkfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #10

My theory: people get the egos crushed with they spend $20K and more to get the fake back seat that comes in a 911.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster View Post
Why the hell is there this saying between people, saying the boxster is a poor man's porsche, or that it is a girl's car?
Most of the people saying it most probably cant afford one themselves and it makes them feel better saying. It. Yes id love to have a 911 turbo, but untill then im still really happy with my boxster,and its not like they were selling for 10k when they were new, there's nothing poor about it. Regarding a girl's car, i think they call it that cause they think its down on power. Again. Shows that theyve never driven one. I wonder what these ppl would call the miata?!
Probably reasonably cheap to own, fun and reliable.

These kind of posts don't help either:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/48306-i-really-need-help.html
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Who gives a crap what someone else thinks? And I especially wouldn't give a crap what someone says, because it would probably sound more like "poormenspahh..." as I'm speeding by.
cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #13

God. This again.

Why do you let what people say bother you. Ignore them. You know your car is great, end of story.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
God. This again.

Why do you let what people say bother you. Ignore them. You know your car is great, end of story.

Because in reality we all know it's really know it's much better than a 911, nobody else seems to be able to accept that undeniable fact just yet.

These whining posts are becoming rather unbecoming.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #15

Last time someone said that about my car, I went over and peed on their tire.
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Saying that the Boxster is a poor mans Porsche, immediatly identifies the person making such statement as uninformed, misinformed , and all further uterances by same can be interpreted as mindless babble of no consequence nor credibility.

I tune them out just as quickly as I do the Simpsons on TV.
Have you had this happen a lot ?
The only reason I ask is that you are local to me , and it seems SoCal people are more likely to give the thumbs or a positive comment at lights , or simply keep quiet if they don't like an automobile ...
I have never had anything negative said to me whilst in the boxster , even though I'm expecting the "girl's car" comment with the wheels ..
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #17

Garage
Even this guy can afford a boxster these days.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #18

Garage
Wheeler Dealer - 1000 pounds, roughly $2000 dollars for a Boxster S that needs a trans fluid/filter change

That certainly isn't going to help eliminate the "Poor Man's Porsche" image

Of course we all know when it's time to fix anything, it's certainly no Poor man's car
Old 09-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #19

Damn i didnt think this post would be so hot.
Its silly for some people to say how affordable boxsters are now that they are x amount years old. When boxsters r new they r not cheap. Period. They r less expensive than a 911, but that just doesnt make them cheap. Some clever ppl will argue that u can buy a used boxster these days for x amount. Utter nonsense, u can buy nearly ANY used car now for MUCH less than when it was new, and d boxster was voted as one of the least cars that lost value.
Do these ppl call the aston martin vantage a poor man's aston with the same principal?!
boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
jakesbox

so is the 944 the poor mans 968? Is the 924 the poor mans 944? Is the cayman also the poor mans 911?

Who gives a crap what people say. I bought mine and paid waaaay to much for it, but I liked the car. My DD is an accord. Most people dont know I drive a Porsche. But if they do find out, I always hear...man I wish I had your money. LOL. Now my 356 speedsters were a different story all together. But those were just the poor mans 356 Cabriolet werent they?

I wonder if the 911 is the poor mans Panamera? Or is the Cayenne (ugly as it is - sorry fans JMO) the poor mans versions of the Audi?

I guess at the end of the day...I am really at the low end of the totem poll. I dont even have an S. so my boxster is the poor mans version of the boxster s. wow - that sucks for me.

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote