Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Exclamation I really need help!

I drive a 1999 Porsche Boxster (engine is located in the back of the car), it has 68,000 miles on it. And its a manual transmission.

Before this all happened, I saw a red light blinking by the temperature gauge, I asked my dad what that meant and he told me to just ignore it. Also, when I crank up my car, there is a red indicator pointing to my trunk, but after I start driving that indicator disappears.

I drove to work, and everything was fine (I go to work at 7:00 AM and leave around 4:00 PM). Came back to my car, got stuck in a huge line of traffic so I held the clutch halfway down and the brake all the way down and slowly crept up the line (Can't completely stop because the traffic is moving slowly). While at a complete stop for about 6 minutes, I smell a horrid odor. I look over to the right and see white smoke coming from the right ventilation of my car.

I got scared so I left the car there, and got a ride home from someone else. I came back, added water to the water dispenser and drove it home, and everything seemed fine. The red light blinking by the temperature gauge disappeared. But the red indicator with an image of my car pointing to my trunk still remained.

What's wrong with my car? Thanks ahead of time!

Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yes, you do...and so does your father for telling you to ignore a temp warning light.

Flashing indicator means that the engine is overheating. Do a google search on causes and fixes. Don't drive it that way or you'll kill your engine(if you didn't already break something).

The other light is either the spoiler light (which should shut off after you start driving) or open trunk.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

You have a mid-engine, not an engine in the rear

The flashing light means the coolant level was low. That's why it went away when you added coolant.

The red light "pointing to the rear of your car" is a speed sensor which is connected to the rear spoiler which goes up at 70 mph. It is supposed to come on when you start the car, and will go off when you move the car as it calibrates itself.

I'd have the white smoke checked out by someone who knows Boxsters. And, I would stop listening to your father.
Boxster101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #4

I still smelled the odor but didn't seem to see any smoke.
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
I still smelled the odor but didn't seem to see any smoke.
From your description of riding the clutch (slipping it) in traffic that's probably the odor. It won't last long if you do that.
Zedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

best advice - get rid of the boxster and get a bus / rail pass
Old 09-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Make sure your radiator fans work.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #8

Here's a few questions for you...

When you saw the blinking temperature light, how high did the temperature get on the dial on the dash?

After you put coolant in the car and drove it home, did you notice any coolant leaking out on the driveway or garage floor?

Again, after you put coolant in the car and drove it home, did you notice any coolant under the carpet in the rear trunk?

When you're parked in the driveway with the engine at idle and the A/C on, can you hear the low speed fans running at the front of the car?

The first question relates to whether the engine overheated, which is a bad thing in an aluminum engine. The next two questions focus on whether you have a coolant leak. The last question relates to whether your radiator fans are working/

Make sure to read your owner's manual. Blinking lights on the dash warn you of serious problems. If you ever see the check engine light start to blink, stop the engine immediately.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #9

Donner, I too drive a 1999 Boxster. If you haven't done so already, read the manual and seriously stop asking your Dad about your car. Or anyone else that tells you to ignore your dash lights, warning sensors, etc. Your manual will tell you what everything does and if you don't have one, there are MY (MY = My Year) 2000 manuals available as a PDF.

Also, do NOT ever hold down the brake and slip the clutch. Period. A manual transmission is not an automatic. Never will work like one either. Manual means ... you need to manually totally engage/disengage the transmission form the engine by briefly engaging/disengaging the clutch. If you do not follow this method, you will burn the clutch disk and possibly - most likely - damafe the pressure plate, dual mass flywheel, and throwout bearing. Which will mean 3~5K in damage to your car.

As for the overheating, there is a lot to be looked at in regard to possible causes. If you are not mechanically inclined, find a good Porsche mechanic and have him check out your car. If you have some skills, start with a search of the forum for the basics, look at Pelican Parts (Pelicanparts.com) web site for technical articles, buy the 101 book (unless you prefer to read most of it online) and the Bently repair manual for your car. If the temperaure did not reach the far right you may not have damaged the engine, but you still have a problem since it was low on coolant and adding water isn't enough to fix the problem.

BTW: In an emergency you can add any type of water, but you should then plan on a flush and fill (can be expensive) of the cooling system. Most cars, including Porsche, only recommend distilled water. Same goes for coolant. Stick with Porsche (Pink) if that is what is in there or use the same as the last fill.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

I feel so bad for the car.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
I feel so bad for the car.
Really, this.

It's not that it a PORSCHE, it's any car. You don't ride the clutch/brake and not expect smoke/smell. You don't ignore flashing temp lights! You don't ignore low coolant. You GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO CHECK THESE THNGS, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE FINE AND NO WARNING LIGHTS ARE FLASHING!!

You should have started with a Pinto like I did, so when you blow the motor like I did, it's in a Pinto, not a Porsche. Someone else would baby it and take care of it, and APPRECIATE it.

Do you even check oil, bro???
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #12

Go easy guys - we all had to start our breakdown experiences sometime...
At least Donner stopped the car and got a lift home - a lot of youngsters would have kept driving, ignored the ALL the warning signs and then felt the $$ wallet pain later in the day......

Donner - your not out of the woods yet, re read what was written above. If you are not mechanically inclined or are nervous about troubleshooting the problem, try and find a good Porsche shop in your area - I'm sure someone here will chime in with a likley repairer in S.C.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
At least Donner stopped the car and got a lift home - a lot of youngsters would have kept driving, ignored the ALL the warning signs and then felt the $$ wallet pain later in the day......

Donner - your not out of the woods yet, re read what was written above. If you are not mechanically inclined or are nervous about troubleshooting the problem, try and find a good Porsche shop in your area - I'm sure someone here will chime in with a likley repairer in S.C.
If told the TRUTH about this scenario and how it was treated and for how long, would you want this car for going rate? Will this be disclosed in the trade in, or at the resale? These things get resold. Next guy can baby it all day every day, but may never know it was driven for days / weeks / months with a CEL and high temp / low coolant flashing while the clutch and brake were ridden until they smoked for exactly how many miles? Then he / she (new owner) gets to deal with minor issue after minor issue, and reduced lifespan.

Not trying to beat anybody up, but it's the facts. It's his car to burn up, just don't sell it as some babied Porsche or one that was "driven hard" when it was "driven hot and smoking".
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #14

I'm going to echo the sentiment that you have made an inappropriate choice of car. You obviously have no idea whatsoever about how things work, and your old man is an idiot, plain and simple (what did you think a flashing red light means??). Unless you make a huge effort to educate yourself you are just going to destroy it. Even my wife, the most un-mechanical person in the world, would know better than to ride the clutch with the brake depressed. My jaw hit the desk when I read this! Why would someone as clueless as you not read the manual before operating the car? Why would you even have a car like this?

It is a real pity to see a nice car abused this way. I think the best advice for you would be to sell it to someone deserving and get yourself a Civic or Sentra with an automatic transmission.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #15

MadMods lend his kid the car again?
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #16
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
... ... ...

Last edited by Eric G; 09-10-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Eric G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post

Donner - your not out of the woods yet, re read what was written above. If you are not mechanically inclined or are nervous about troubleshooting the problem, try and find a good Porsche shop in your area - I'm sure someone here will chime in with a likely repairer in S.C.

I AGREE!!! GIVE THE KID A BREAK!!! HE IS ASKING FOR HELP AFTER ALL!!!

The Porsche 986 is probably not the best choice of cars for him but at least he came to this site seeking help. Hopefully he hasn't already done major damage and can learn from his mistakes.

Even though his Dad gave him bad advice, calling him an idiot is absolutely disrespectful!

We should be better ambassadors of the Porsche 986! Let's show some class and try to give this kid a little help!

Meat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #18

+1 What Meat Head said
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #19

I guess it's easier to cry "help me. help me, hold my hand" than it is to to sit down and read the manual and take responsibility for your own chit.

I wouldn't cut the kid any slack at all. All the information he needs is at his fingertips but he chose not to avail himself of it. I am always very willing to help those that at least make an attempt to help themselves first, but I have no patience for this, much like I have no patience for people that ask questions that have already been answered countless times before because they're just too fkn lazy to use the search function and do a little research for themselves.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #20

While the responses from both angles were to be expected, I would hope that Donner could learn a general life lesson from this experience.

1.) When there is a Flashing Red Light in the dash it is a Warning, heed it.

2.) When you ride or slip the clutch as he described, you will in effect ruin or severely diminish the future expected life of said clutch.

The fact that he received bad advice from the father regarding the light is somewhat reflective of the father's decision to set him loose in a Porsche that he wasn't appropriately prepared to nor experienced enough to drive. Poor choices have consequences.

Regarding the above replies, It is up to Donner to separate the wheat from the chaff, Good Luck.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote