View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
AKnowles

Donner, I too drive a 1999 Boxster. If you haven't done so already, read the manual and seriously stop asking your Dad about your car. Or anyone else that tells you to ignore your dash lights, warning sensors, etc. Your manual will tell you what everything does and if you don't have one, there are MY (MY = My Year) 2000 manuals available as a PDF.

Also, do NOT ever hold down the brake and slip the clutch. Period. A manual transmission is not an automatic. Never will work like one either. Manual means ... you need to manually totally engage/disengage the transmission form the engine by briefly engaging/disengaging the clutch. If you do not follow this method, you will burn the clutch disk and possibly - most likely - damafe the pressure plate, dual mass flywheel, and throwout bearing. Which will mean 3~5K in damage to your car.

As for the overheating, there is a lot to be looked at in regard to possible causes. If you are not mechanically inclined, find a good Porsche mechanic and have him check out your car. If you have some skills, start with a search of the forum for the basics, look at Pelican Parts (Pelicanparts.com) web site for technical articles, buy the 101 book (unless you prefer to read most of it online) and the Bently repair manual for your car. If the temperaure did not reach the far right you may not have damaged the engine, but you still have a problem since it was low on coolant and adding water isn't enough to fix the problem.

BTW: In an emergency you can add any type of water, but you should then plan on a flush and fill (can be expensive) of the cooling system. Most cars, including Porsche, only recommend distilled water. Same goes for coolant. Stick with Porsche (Pink) if that is what is in there or use the same as the last fill.