Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2024, 09:11 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
They are not cheap, the basic tool is nearly $800, but like Porsche's beautiful RMS tooling, this was designed for the professional market and why LN rents them; the average DIYer would never buy one.
Grant says: "Shoot, I bet I can make one of those."

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-24-2024 at 02:56 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2024, 08:25 AM   #142

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Another that is a challenge on this othervise a very good bearing is, that I have not yet seen anyplace you could order the lockign ring belonging to the bearing groove (pr snapring) to keep the bearing in place - or have I just missed it?
The info I got is that the snapring should not be re-used.
There was no damage on it when I pulled it out so I didn't see any risk of just re-using it.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2024, 10:39 AM   #143

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
There was no damage on it when I pulled it out so I didn't see any risk of just re-using it.
I did the same thing.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #144

Man, am I sick of lying down when I work under cars! After years of that, as soon as I can manage it I'm going to buy myself a 2-post 10,000 lb-capacity hydraulic lift. For around two grand (as low as $1500 on sale) it would pay for itself in convenience and time savings. And I deserve it. For the swap, though, I'll be roughing it again on my creeper.

https://www.amazon.com/Motool-Technology-ME-H1000-Super-Quality/dp/B0C83QF39L/
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; Yesterday at 11:31 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
Man, am I sick of lying down when I work under cars! After years of that, as soon as I can manage it I'm going to buy myself a 2-post 10,000 lb-capacity hydraulic lift. For around two grand (as low as $1500 on sale) it would pay for itself in convenience and time savings. And I deserve it. For the swap, though, I'll be roughing it again on my creeper.

https://www.amazon.com/Motool-Technology-ME-H1000-Super-Quality/dp/B0C83QF39L/
Just be aware that ALL post lifts have a minimum thickness and load rating for the concrete they are mounte to………
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM   #146

Quote:
Just be aware that ALL post lifts have a minimum thickness and load rating for the concrete they are mounte to………
I was just talking to a guy about that. He said he got around it by bolting the bottoms of the posts to 2' x 2' plates of 1/2" thick steel that are securely bolted to the concrete. Seems like it might work. What do you think?
5-speed manual
Old Today, 03:23 AM   #147
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I was just talking to a guy about that. He said he got around it by bolting the bottoms of the posts to 2' x 2' plates of 1/2" thick steel that are securely bolted to the concrete. Seems like it might work. What do you think?
Me thinks those little steel plates could be three feet thick, and I wouldn't be comforted. I'm also reminded of the old, "... only as strong as the weakest link", and that link is the concrete.
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #148

Quote:
I think you need to find out the requirements for the concrete, bolting on large plates does not negate the mechanical leverage the lift has on the fasteners that hold it in place, and guessing wrong can lead to a major disaster as lifts do a lot of damage when they come loose and topple over. No cheap out band-aides here, the thing can kill you……
Old Today, 08:16 AM   #149

Quote:
I think you need to find out the requirements for the concrete, bolting on large plates does not negate the mechanical leverage the lift has on the fasteners that hold it in place, and guessing wrong can lead to a major disaster as lifts do a lot of damage when they come loose and topple over. No cheap out band-aides here, the thing can kill you……
I plan to build a new shop in a 20' x 30' steel building, so when the slab is poured I'll make sure it's more than adequate to support the lift. I will pass on your and Starter986's warnings to the steel plate guy and ruin his day. He was so proud of his solution, too.
5-speed manual
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #150

Quote:
I plan to build a new shop in a 20' x 30' steel building, so when the slab is poured I'll make sure it's more than adequate to support the lift. I will pass on your and Starter986's warnings to the steel plate guy and ruin his day. He was so proud of his solution, too.
Your friend's problem is that he is thinking in terms of the lift legs pressing down, which while important is not the potentially fatal flaw, which is one of the legs pulling out of the floor and the lift toppling to one side.

If you are seriously planning a new shop, think in terms of a minimum of 6-8 inches of rebar reinforced concrete, and decide upon what lift beforehand and have the concrete team cast the floor with purpose made steel threaded receivers in the floor when it is poured in the pattern matched to your lift bases. And do not cheap out on the lift itself; I have seen the arms on "bargain" two post lifts fail way below their rated lift max. I have always been a fan of Bend Pak, and owned several, but there are other very well-made lifts out there. And, as I recently told a customer that was complaining about the price of appropriately rated racing helmets, "If you have a $10 head, look for a $10 helmet; but if your head is worth more to you, act accordingly......"

Last edited by JFP in PA; Today at 10:36 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:21 AM   #151

Quote:
Your friend's problem is that he is thinking in terms of the lift legs pressing down, which while important is not the potentially fatal flaw, which is one of the legs pulling out of the floor and the lift toppling to one side.

If you are seriously planning a new shop, think in terms of a minimum of 6-8 inches of rebar reinforced concrete, and decide upon what lift beforehand and have the concrete team cast the floor with purpose made steel threaded receivers in the floor when it is poured in the pattern matched to your lift bases. And do not cheap out on the lift itself; I have seen the arms on "bargain" two post lifts fail way below their rated lift max. I have always been a fan of Bend Pak, and owned several, but there are other very well-made lifts out there. And, as I recently told a customer that was complaining about the price of appropriately rated racing helmets, "If you have a $10 head, look for a $10 helmet; but if your head is worth more to you, act accordingly......"
Sound advice, as usual. Great idea about casting threaded receivers in the concrete. I just hung up after talking to Steel Plate Guy. As expected, he was not receptive to any suggestion that his base plates can fail. In fact, he got huffy when I brought it up. But then, women don't have much credibility with him, even though I've forgotten more about engines than he'll ever know.

5-speed manual