View Single Post
Old Today, 10:25 AM   #150
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
I plan to build a new shop in a 20' x 30' steel building, so when the slab is poured I'll make sure it's more than adequate to support the lift. I will pass on your and Starter986's warnings to the steel plate guy and ruin his day. He was so proud of his solution, too.
Your friend's problem is that he is thinking in terms of the lift legs pressing down, which while important is not the potentially fatal flaw, which is one of the legs pulling out of the floor and the lift toppling to one side.

If you are seriously planning a new shop, think in terms of a minimum of 6-8 inches of rebar reinforced concrete, and decide upon what lift beforehand and have the concrete team cast the floor with purpose made steel threaded receivers in the floor when it is poured in the pattern matched to your lift bases. And do not cheap out on the lift itself; I have seen the arms on "bargain" two post lifts fail way below their rated lift max. I have always been a fan of Bend Pak, and owned several, but there are other very well-made lifts out there. And, as I recently told a customer that was complaining about the price of appropriately rated racing helmets, "If you have a $10 head, look for a $10 helmet; but if your head is worth more to you, act accordingly......"

Last edited by JFP in PA; Today at 10:36 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote