Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2024, 03:26 PM   #101

Well, I'll be a monkey's aunt! I found what I've been looking for right here:

https://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/58273-engine-lift-hook.html

[Note to self: Search 986forum first.]

I plan use the described lift hook point in conjunction with another attachment point, one of the motor mount's bolt holes at the front of the engine, the same way the eBay engine was suspended. The lift hook attachment point alone is not intended to support the entire 570 lbs.

5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-07-2024 at 08:37 PM.
LoneWolfGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 03:57 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
my engine support bar was a lot cheaper.. LOL

Regarding the furniture dolly, these cost between $10-$20 at Harbor freight, perhaps Walmart as well
Hey, thanks again. As for your improvised support bar, you know the old saying — "Necessity plays with the Mothers of Invention." The thing about the stuff we fabricate, the price is right. I believe I will pay Harbor Freight a visit tomorrow. One of their $20 furniture (soon to be engine) dollies will probably do the job almost as well as my overpriced ($92) diamond plate, heavy-duty (2000 lb capacity) dolly. If I ever need to move a stack of four M96s, though, the diamond plate dolly will get the nod.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-08-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2024, 10:25 AM   #103

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
Two questions:
1. You didn't use the hoist point by the throttle body?
2. Did you find an engine stand adapter for the M96, and if so, for under $700?
1. My friend Newart hung the whole engine by that little bracket near the throttle body, for a short period of time... but I only have used it as a backup to some other means. With another attachment point on the front of the engine, so it is only carrying half the weight, maybe... but it would make me nervous.

2. I use a standard adjustable adapter which works fine unless you want to split the crankcase halves, in that case you need the $pecial adapter. I was even able to change the IMS bearing with the standard adapter. When I split the crankcase on my broken 3.2 engine I did it on a pallet on the floor.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 11:23 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
My friend Newart hung the whole engine by that little bracket near the throttle body, for a short period of time... but I only have used it as a backup to some other means. With another attachment point on the front of the engine, so it is only carrying half the weight, maybe... but it would make me nervous.
I like to live dangerously! On a serious note, the provided lift hook point seems fairly sturdy. Folks have apparently been using it, together with an attachment point in front, without a problem. But if I'm wrong and the engine crushes my head like a grape, I'll get back to you.
5-speed manual
Old 10-08-2024, 03:19 PM   #105

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post

2. I use a standard adjustable adapter which works fine unless you want to split the crankcase halves, in that case you need the $pecial adapter. I was even able to change the IMS bearing with the standard adapter. When I split the crankcase on my broken 3.2 engine I did it on a pallet on the floor.
The reason I ask is that I'm starting a rebuild and when I took it down, at the point of spltting the cases and getting the IMS out, it got very awkward with a standard adapter.
So I'm looking at options besides spending nearly a thousand dollars for the specific one. Of course, JFP in Philly says it can be done with a regular engine stand.
Old 10-08-2024, 04:15 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
The reason I ask is that I'm starting a rebuild and when I took it down, at the point of spltting the cases and getting the IMS out, it got very awkward with a standard adapter.
So I'm looking at options besides spending nearly a thousand dollars for the specific one. Of course, JFP in Philly says it can be done with a regular engine stand.
Why don't you assembly the engine halves on a table, then mount the assembly to the stand and then proceed with the heads and accessories?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2024, 06:36 PM   #107

I've decided maybe I don't need no dang direct oil feed for my M96's IMS bearing. I'm leaning toward LN Engineering's ceramic double row IMS Retrofit. The price of $999 is a far cry from economical, but it's less painful than $1899. Not that I wouldn't choose the Solution if cost were no object, but after laying out $4200 for that new engine...
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-09-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2024, 02:18 PM   #108

I'm waiting for Sunset Porsche Parts ("GENUINE FACTORY PARTS") to tell me the price of the OEM ceramic IMS bearing, since I can't seem to find it elsewhere. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing it will come in under $999, even though it's a genuine factory part. In the meantime...

Talked to a guy who turned out to be a hardcore Porsche purist. He also drives a 2000 silver/black 986. Mine has a few non-OEM parts, while his was OEM all the way. Every nut, bolt, and screw on his car was OEM, he told me, including the steel-bearing IMS. "Correct," he called it. He recently replaced the heater core, cost him almost $600 for the OEM core.

I've read about that kind of thing. It's a type of OCD mania. Glad I don't have it. I bought my heater core from Amazon for $115. It looked "correct" to me. Seems like a harmless compulsion, though, so more power to him.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-11-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2024, 03:30 PM   #109

Corvette purists are the same even to the point of having the correct markings on all bolts throughout the entire car.. Had a '58 for over 30 years and built it to drive it. To each his own.

John
jbar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2024, 09:12 PM   #110

As if my hands weren't full with getting things ready for the impending engine swap, Suzi Isuzu, my much-loved '98 4WD SUV, which I bought new and has only 49,000 miles on it, needed attention, starter-wise. Specifically, her solenoid plunger, which engages the starter, was making erratic connection with a set of copper contacts. It's a $16 kit. However, as claustrophobically tight spaces go, getting to the solenoid to replace it is as challenging as it gets. It makes the 986's ignition switch (which I replaced earlier this year) seem comparatively accessible. At any rate, that's why swap-related updates have fallen off of late.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-22-2024 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2024, 11:46 AM   #111

Sunset Porsche Parts finally got back to me with a price for their "OEM" IMS ceramic-hybrid bearing..Turns out Sunset is actually Porsche Beaverton, and their IMS bearings are actually LN Engineering's products. However, Sunset charges $2271.42 for LN's ceramic bearing, compared to $999 directly from LN — literally highway robbery! I didn't ask how much they're charging for LN's Solution, but it's a safe bet it would make a strong person shudder and possibly faint.
5-speed manual
Old 10-18-2024, 12:12 PM   #112

You sure that isn't an installed price?
Old 10-18-2024, 04:51 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
That's what I asked them, but they're slow to respond. However, I tried to make it clear that the bearing was intended for the new engine before I put it in the car. That would explain the high price, though. Would your shop install the bearing for that kind of money?
5-speed manual
Old 10-19-2024, 07:11 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfGal View Post
That's what I asked them, but they're slow to respond. However, I tried to make it clear that the bearing was intended for the new engine before I put it in the car. That would explain the high price, though. Would your shop install the bearing for that kind of money?
Depending upon the vehicle (Tip vs manual), and what else needs to done at the same time, but it is in the right ballpark.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 10-19-2024 at 07:19 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2024, 10:20 AM   #115

Quote:
Luke at Sunset Parts is a gentleman and a very supportive person, however it seems that they are a bit over helmed and that could be the reason of their slow response.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2024, 07:57 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Sunset Porsche Parts' texted reply:

that is just a parts price. You
will need to ask service for an
installation cost
-- Luke Rogers

I doubt their 225-percent markup from LN's price is Luke's doing. Wonder how much they're charging for a Solution? I think I'll ask Luke. I heard slapping the forehead improves circulation.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-22-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2024, 08:27 AM   #117

Luke from Sunset texted me with an answer this morning:

The IMS Solution parts kit is
$4412.82 and we will need to
order it in for you.

That's more than I paid for the engine itself.
5-speed manual

Last edited by LoneWolfGal; 10-22-2024 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-22-2024, 07:18 PM   #118

Garage
Now for we (or some of us) who live in the real world...
https://www.123bearing.com/bearing-housing/deep-groove-bearing/double-row/bd20-17-a-ddua17nx01-nsk#container-tech-schema
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)

Last edited by elgyqc; 10-22-2024 at 07:21 PM. Reason: clarification
elgyqc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2024, 07:34 PM   #119

Garage
Quote:

order it in for you.

This Luke probably wants to make sure and install two of these into your engine. The rest must be the price for ordering.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/LN1060860.htm?pn=LN-106-08-60&bc=c&SVSVSI=
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 01:55 AM   #120
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

order it in for you.

I'm curious... and correct me if I'm wrong... but...

Are you considering putting in the OEM bearing... and isn't that the part (OEM) that is subject to failure?

As an aside... is Sunset ripping people off? The unsuspecting ones?