Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #41
Ex Esso kid

Fellas, stay in the "rather sell the bike" camp, especially if you have a spouse. The devil in the details regarding super bikes is not the grim prospect of dying on one, it's how you have to live if someone knocks you down and doesn't kill you that most riders never think about; I know it wasn't on my radar till it happened.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 06-25-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #42
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
...I don't recall him saying he has a super bike...

Even being fully aware of the dangers, I still ride, just like I still drive my 2 cars that have "only" 2 airbags when I've probably got more to worry about being T-boned by some genius in his lifted bro truck that has the bumper pointed right at my head.

It pretty much seems that LightningSVT isn't looking to make a daily driver out of the Boxster (nothing wrong with that), in which case selling the bike would be the better bet.

The huge price cut off of that base does seem nice (that's basically down to the base price), but you're still looking at being a bit light on the power compared to an S, about 40-50 horses. Yes, it's not all about horsepower, and I'm sure the new base is on par if not above the old S models, but for that money you could get an S that's already that much closer to 300 horses with the same handling prowess.

And you're telling me if they're prepared to do that for a new 981 that they don't have an 09 S near or below the same territory? What's with these guys?!

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #43

No superbike here, got rid of the crotch rockets back in my 20's. I have a big old fat and slow Harley touring bike. Beautiful machine thats still metal and chrome, not plastic but slow as the hills compared to even a 600cc sport bike. I'd like to keep both but even I know that doesnt make sense and as mentioned I'd only be using Boxster as a partial DD its a fair replacement. Youd think the wife would be all over getting rid of the bike because its not "safe" but not really.

The new base car I saw is a 987 not a 981. Cant imagine theyd be giving any signifdcant discounts on the 981 since that dealers hasnt even received one yet. But it does have, I believe 260hp? Only 20hp off from the 987.1 S models. For $47k I could find and S but Id be lucky to find an 09 at that price and this is brand new.

To make matters worse last night I went to 3 dealers and looked at an 08 Boxster, 09 M3, 11 M3 and 08 Carrera. If Im looking at possibly spending close to $50k I want to see whats out there. The Boxster was a mess, lots of touch ups, etc and evidence the rear 1/4 panel had been painted. PASS! The 911 was very cool but I think it'd get tiring as a DD, it rides pretty stiff but has a really cool mechanical feel that adds to the driving experience. Id never been in an E9x M3 before last night and WOW!!! Just amazing. Very comfortable, handles great (though not quite to Porsche levels), awesome V8 sounds at 8k RPM and is still practical plus there is a convertible model. Again probably looking in the $40-50k range but same as a new 987 or a 3-4 year old 987 S. Totally different animal than either the Boxster or 911 in both a good and a bad way.
LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #44

So what do you guys think a 50k miles 2006 Cayman S is worth (original stick $74k) in daily driver condition? One just popped up at a Chevy dealer near my office.

LightngSVT is offline   Reply With Quote