Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

997 short shifter installed .. some questions

So I installed the shifter today and saved myself $250. To my surprise, this went much smoother than expected.

A few things I wasn't sure about, hopefully someone who's more experienced will be able to enlighten.

The instruction here ( http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7371 ) which indicated that I should have followed the B&M instruction to step 16, then swap the cables over with the ends attached.

To do this, I had to actually follow to step 20 which covers removing the cable tabs from the console and removing the actual console to switch the new console over.

Did I do something wrong here ?

Then, since my new console came with the green alignment tool, I left it on while I connected the cables ends back in. To do so, I had to "pull" on the cable a bit to "stretch" it to fit in at the mark.

Could this have caused any issues ?

Also I think I got the cable on the mark, but just in case I didn't, would this cause any issues down the line ?

Took the car out for a spin before i put the center console back on. The car still drives ( thank god ) and the shift is ALOT shorter. I like the new shift motion alot, though sometimes the short distance give the feel that the gear is not 100% in, though I pushed it as far as it will go. Is this normal ?

Also position of 3rd is slightly changed. Previously, shifting from 2nd, it felt like it was at 12:05 ( directly above and very slightly to the right of 4th ), now it feels like its at 11:55 ( directly above and very slightly to the left of 4th ). Is this normal ?

Its a bit of a struggle right now to get it into reverse and such, but I assume this will get smoother in a few weeks after its been broken in.

Last edited by nefarious986; 01-14-2011 at 10:31 PM.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #2

When I put mine in, I had to go to Step 20 in the B&M instructions too. You have to to remove the old tower before putting in the new one.

As I'd had no problems with the shifter before, when the new tower was in, I left the alignment tool on and ignored the marks I'd made and just let the cable ends drop in where they fell.

I didn't pull/stretch them like you did to get it to the marks. That may be causing some of your issues.

Anyhow, all good with my installation, no real difficulties in shifting, although I think I'm due for a front motor mount replacement.

BTW, it's 997, not 977.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #3

Thanks clickman.

I think I'll redo the cable again tomorrow morning to see if it feels any better.

My only concern is does driving with this cable "misalignment" cause any damage ? Premature wear to tranny perhaps ?

PS. I realized I mistyped 997 to 977 but couldn't change it. I knew someone was going to catch it. LOL.

Last edited by nefarious986; 01-14-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #4

Couldn't actually wait till morning so I just went to the garage and tried to adjust the cable.

With the alignment tool on, the black cable ( which I think controls the forward backward motion) can slide right in, but the blue cable ( which I think controls the side to side motion ) is about 1/4" too short to drop in directly.

Taking the alignment tool off and pushing the shifter slightly to the left ( toward driver ) pushes the cable end attachment back enough so that blue cable can just drop in. Doing this though leaves the shifter slanted to the left instead of aligned in neutral.

Anyone else with this issue ?

Last edited by nefarious986; 01-15-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986
the blue cable ( which I think controls the side to side motion ) is about 1/4" too short to drop in directly.

Taking the alignment tool off and pushing the shifter slightly to the left ( toward driver ) pushes the cable end attachment back enough so that blue cable can just drop in. Doing this though leaves the shifter slanted to the left instead of aligned in neutral.
This doesn't sound right. I think you need to have a pro look at the blue cable and maybe its attachment at the tranny. I don't know if you can adjust the length of the cable.

Did you have any shifter issues before the swap?

You may also need your motor mount done, which could possibly be affecting things, although you'd think it would affect both cables. Has it been done? What's the year / mileage of your car? S or non?

Last edited by clickman; 01-15-2011 at 07:12 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Take the cables out of the ball joints, put the alignment tool in, and take a picture of the overall console and one of the cables where they end up for us. What you are describing doesn't sound normal. There may be something out of place that we can't see.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #7

The shifter should be slightly slanted towards the driver. Take a pic and we could tell you if it's where it should be.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The shifter should be slightly slanted towards the driver. Take a pic and we could tell you if it's where it should be.
The cables should fit in with the alignment tool on.

Last edited by clickman; 01-15-2011 at 03:39 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:56 AM   #9

Hey guys,

This first picture is with the alignment tool off, and the shifter slightly tilted toward the driver side, the threaded cable end falls in to the threaded groove without issues.

http://i51.tinypic.com/a4vqsx.jpg

This second picture is with the alignment tool on, so the shifter should be perfectly neutral. The cable is not long enough and the threaded cable end does not fit completely into the groves. Most of it would fit, but the will be about two threads sitting on top of the non grooved parts.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2eevkux.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
kpm

I had to see what's what.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #11

To the OP, did you get your problem solved?
Old 01-16-2011, 04:34 PM   #12

Hey Clickman, thanks for checking back in.

I didnt get it resolved yet. Some on Renntech suggests that the problem might be the connection on the transmission side might have been bent a bit, so I'm going to need to lift the car up to check the shifter arm there.

See my renntech thread here ( http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php/topic/36515-shifter-cable-issues-when-install-997-short-shift-console/ )
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #13

My 997 SSK seemed to be set-up as is. I used my stock marks on the cables. I don't even know how to use the green alignment tool if that is what it is. I had no instructions. Perhaps my shifter adjustment is not optimized as such. My B+M was another story.....was not able to set that up properly for a 6-speed going across the gate..
Old 01-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #14

JayKay, did you have any of the issues I had? The two I noticed most was feeling like it didn't go COMPLETELY forward into 1/3/5 gear ( though this might be the short in short shift ), and the slight change in gear position ( 3rd gear is most noticable for me, and even that is a slight change ).

The car is definitely drivable right now, even with the cable 'stretched' to where the original marks was, but I am a bit anal about getting it perfect as not to cause more wear / tear than absolutely necessary.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #15

I opted for standard 997 shifter 3 years ago and had similar "shortness" of the left cable. I felt that with the transmission in neutral and with the shifter held in it's neutral position by the green clip, that each cable should be attached at this position. any other setting would move the shift lever to the left or the right from "nominal"
3 years of daily use. no problem engaging all 5 plus reverse gears
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #16

Quote:
JayKay, did you have any of the issues I had? The two I noticed most was feeling like it didn't go COMPLETELY forward into 1/3/5 gear ( though this might be the short in short shift ), and the slight change in gear position ( 3rd gear is most noticable for me, and even that is a slight change ).

The car is definitely drivable right now, even with the cable 'stretched' to where the original marks was, but I am a bit anal about getting it perfect as not to cause more wear / tear than absolutely necessary.
I went from a B+M to the 997 ssk. The latter had no set up issues; shifts smoothly; of course shift effort is higher and forward throws are shorter; resolution does not suffer too badly. Second to third there still seems to be a slight control issue. I used the stock markings to install it and no green plate; this is why I said I may not have it completely right although it drives fine. On the whole the 997 ssk is the one to get.

The B+M was more vague across the gate and I had trouble going from 2 to 3 and maintaining clearance for reverse on my 6-speed. It had much shorter forward throws; a function of it's cable side lever arm and fulcrum point.

An ssk will give you different shift knob positions especially fore and aft. I cannot speak to your cable stretching issue. Normally the cable sheaths should be in place and there will be enough cable movement for any adjustment you need.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #17

I still think the cable connections at the tranny should be looked at by someone that knows what they're doing.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #18

I reconnected the shift cables today with the alignment tool on. The black cable dropped straight in, and tried to stretched the cable a little as little as possible to drop it in. I ended up having to pull it the 1/4" ( about 3 grooves ). Took it for a short test drive, and still noticed the position change issue a little bit though definitely not as bad as last time when I stretched to cable to where the original mark is. All gears engage without issues, even reverse.

Though I'm still missing the 2nd to 3rd shift sometimes, I think its more 'driver error' until I get used to the new position.

Overall, I still LOVE LOVE the much shorter throw and the 'gated' feel. Porsche really should have added the extra $100 or $200 ( difference in cost for this shifter vs the OEM 986 shifter ) and sold this as a stock 986 part.

Clickman, thanks for your advice. I have to take the car in for service soon ( need new starter, old one is making noise on cold starts ) so I'll have the mechanic take a look at the connection on the tranny side too.

Last edited by nefarious986; 01-18-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #19

Quote:
All gears engage without issues, even reverse.

Though I'm still missing the 2nd to 3rd shift sometimes, I think its more 'driver error' until I get used to the new position.
I find I also have some issues at some times going 2-3 and 4-5, but as I've said, I need a new front motor mount. I'd asked earlier in this thread for your car's age/mileage, but didn't see an answer, so you might also be due.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #20

I have a question."Is this shift linkage mis-match on 6 speed boxster as well?
If it is more of an issue with 5 speed cars, doesn't a typical shifter rests at the 3-4 gear location when in neutral?" And if so, is it possible that the green clip is designed for the 6 speed transmission application where there are four left/right "gates" versus 5 speed with three - left/right alignment is more critical for the 6 speed.

The shortness in the left cable during installation may be due to the basic design focusing on ensuring that there is sufficient movement to engage reverse to the left of the 1st & 2nd gear position.

Has anyone measured the left cable motion for all three (5 speed) or 4 left/right "gate" position and see if the delta is equal to the first to reverse positions on the 6 speed? I am interest but not enough to fight and wrestle the shift knob off of the shaft.

just a thought

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote