View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 AM   #16
jaykay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986
JayKay, did you have any of the issues I had? The two I noticed most was feeling like it didn't go COMPLETELY forward into 1/3/5 gear ( though this might be the short in short shift ), and the slight change in gear position ( 3rd gear is most noticable for me, and even that is a slight change ).

The car is definitely drivable right now, even with the cable 'stretched' to where the original marks was, but I am a bit anal about getting it perfect as not to cause more wear / tear than absolutely necessary.
I went from a B+M to the 997 ssk. The latter had no set up issues; shifts smoothly; of course shift effort is higher and forward throws are shorter; resolution does not suffer too badly. Second to third there still seems to be a slight control issue. I used the stock markings to install it and no green plate; this is why I said I may not have it completely right although it drives fine. On the whole the 997 ssk is the one to get.

The B+M was more vague across the gate and I had trouble going from 2 to 3 and maintaining clearance for reverse on my 6-speed. It had much shorter forward throws; a function of it's cable side lever arm and fulcrum point.

An ssk will give you different shift knob positions especially fore and aft. I cannot speak to your cable stretching issue. Normally the cable sheaths should be in place and there will be enough cable movement for any adjustment you need.