View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
nefarious986

997 short shifter installed .. some questions

So I installed the shifter today and saved myself $250. To my surprise, this went much smoother than expected.

A few things I wasn't sure about, hopefully someone who's more experienced will be able to enlighten.

The instruction here ( http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7371 ) which indicated that I should have followed the B&M instruction to step 16, then swap the cables over with the ends attached.

To do this, I had to actually follow to step 20 which covers removing the cable tabs from the console and removing the actual console to switch the new console over.

Did I do something wrong here ?

Then, since my new console came with the green alignment tool, I left it on while I connected the cables ends back in. To do so, I had to "pull" on the cable a bit to "stretch" it to fit in at the mark.

Could this have caused any issues ?

Also I think I got the cable on the mark, but just in case I didn't, would this cause any issues down the line ?

Took the car out for a spin before i put the center console back on. The car still drives ( thank god ) and the shift is ALOT shorter. I like the new shift motion alot, though sometimes the short distance give the feel that the gear is not 100% in, though I pushed it as far as it will go. Is this normal ?

Also position of 3rd is slightly changed. Previously, shifting from 2nd, it felt like it was at 12:05 ( directly above and very slightly to the right of 4th ), now it feels like its at 11:55 ( directly above and very slightly to the left of 4th ). Is this normal ?

Its a bit of a struggle right now to get it into reverse and such, but I assume this will get smoother in a few weeks after its been broken in.

Last edited by nefarious986; 01-14-2011 at 10:31 PM.
nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote