Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #1

Unhappy One year...I'm done

Have had my 01 Boxster since Feb06 and I do love that car but damn, everytime I turn around theres something going on with it. So far, the airbag light stays on constantly...I know the fix for that. $$ Then sometime last summer I had a problem getting the car started....key in, clutch down turn key and nothing....actually happend a couple of times. Now, just recently I'm having issues with the electric windows...push the switches and nothing. It did work randomly last week, got stuck down and it took awhile and many times hitting the switch to get the up. Now I don't know if the windows have anything to do with the top but when I pull the latch to open top....the windows don't go down like normal and when I hit the switch nothing happens. I've also had an issue with the top being stuck halfway open when I was at the store and had to drive home with the top like that.....it really sucked. Now this, it's embarrassing when I go to work I have to open my door to use security card to get into parking garage. This is freaking me out....I really don't want to trade the car in but I'm scared other things are going to start happening. Guess I'll take the car the shop and see how much they're gonna rob for the diagnosis and fix. Damn shame nice car and so many issues. Well, if any of you experienced these issue, please let me know...thanks.

MAC986

MAC986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Have had my 01 Boxster since Feb06 and I do love that car but damn, everytime I turn around theres something going on with it. So far, the airbag light stays on constantly...I know the fix for that. $$

Nope,just buy a Durametric kit,it can be used for alot more then turning off airbag lights as well.

Then sometime last summer I had a problem getting the car started....key in, clutch down turn key and nothing....actually happend a couple of times.

You may want to switch ignition switches,only a couple of hours or work and $20 for the part off of eBay(it's a VW/Audi part). Your other electrical problems may be related to it as well,any electrical stuff acts funky when the switch is going bad.

Guess I'll take the car the shop and see how much they're gonna rob for the diagnosis and fix.
No don't do that,sounds like alot of the issues you have a easy D.I.Y. fixes.

Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #3

I had all sorts of nagging little problems with my 97 in the first year of ownership, but I got them sorted out and all is well.

The windows won't work if the top hook is not fully seated into the hole, actuating the switch. Make sure its in there good and deep before you latch the top closed. If it is latched properly, try unlatching it and jamming your left forefinger in there and push up hard, then try operating the windows. The inexpensive microswitch may be going out on you.

Try spraying the contact cleaner into the seatbelt receptacles like another forum member did to clean the contacts... that's probably why the airbag light is on. Or, you could do what I did... just replace both receptacles for under a hundred bucks and be sure it's fixed before you go in to get the airbag light turned off.

Now the car not starting could be a lot of things... but my guess is that your ignition switch ($25) behind the key hole is going out on you.

The top not going fully down sounds like you may have not pulled up your handbrake fully so as to engage the microswitch, or the microswitch there is going out. Also not expensive and easy to repair yourself if that's the culprit.

I'd recommend you take this information along with your car to a mechanic who is familiar with the picky little crap that wears out on our cars and have him fix them. Then you'll love your car again.

BTW, I was so frustrated after a year I was about to lose my shirt selling my car, but I stuck it out and I have a very dependable, dash warning light-free boxster in my garage that I enjoy driving every sunny day.

Let us know how it turns out.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #4

26,000 miles since Nov. 2004
non-maintenance repairs to date:

1. Throttle body $350
2. Windshield $350
3. parking brake switch $104 (part was $4!)

in the reliability department this Porsche is giving my bullet proof Miata I previously owned, a real run for the money. These may be the best Porsches ever made.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #5

I haven't had the issues with the Boxster. I have a '99 328 and I know about the windows. Three of mine went out at a football game last season taking the car flags down.

I had to open the door and get out to drop the mail in the box. Pain and yeap, embarrasing. When I got them fixed my first dinner was at the Wendy's drive through...just because I could
Old 02-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
those are all annoying little things, if something like that would make u trade in a car, ten i dont know what to tell you...
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #7

Hi,

I've never had a Sports Car in all the 30+ I've owned that wasn't in some way a Love/Hate relationship. That said, there have been several that tested my patience once too often. My Lotus Europa, Ferrari 308 GTS Quatrovalve and TVR Tasmin 280i are three I can name.

I'm not going to try and convince you to keep your Boxster. These cars do have issues (and annoying ones which other Mfgs. seem to get right). These issues often exceed owners' tolerance levels (which may explain why there are always a steady stream of them on the used car market).

It's a good car if you can handle the ******************** from time-to-time. Not everyone can. But, you will not own one longterm which remains trouble-free, there are too many weak spots and it can literally nickle and dime you to death, especially at Porsche Prices. It's no badge of honor if you're willing to put up with it, nor any point of shame if you're not. Everyone's situation, expectations, budget, and priorities are different.

There are so many great cars out there one can own that it's silly to keep owning one which you're unhappy with or lack confidence in, especially since it will continuously depreciate. If you're truly not happy, sell it ASAP to retain as much of your original investment as possible. Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-05-2007 at 04:38 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Mine's an 01 Boxster 5-speed with 47K miles. Only problems I've ever had were a peeling radio knob and door bin lid cover (both covered under warranty), and a leaking coolant tank (also replaced under warranty). Nothing else but miles of smiles.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #9

I should hope that if I do encounter any problems with my 01 Boxster, that they will be simple ones like worn or defective switches here and there.... rather than something like an RMS leak, or other more serious (and costly) problems.

Having a warranty is nice, tho.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well even if you encounter a RMS leak, consider it as time to get a new clutch, get it replaced and call it a day.
yes its anoying to mess w all this stuff, but its best to get the know the car and enjoy all the repairs and learn form them.

then again, its not a grocery getting station wagon volvo that will never break, its a sports car, so enjoy it or just get rid of it if u cant keep up with little inconviniences.

heck, just lower the windows, take the top off, and neve rput it back on, who needs those, its a roadster, just tell all the people it looks best this way, and buy a big umbella heheh
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #11
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
in the reliability department this Porsche is giving my bullet proof Miata I previously owned, a real run for the money.
x2
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 AM   #12

Thanks for the response to my post and I do agree that the DIY is the best way to go, but unfortunatley I dont know a damn thing about working on cars, muchless working on a Porsche. I guess I can always try and get the fiance to try and test his mechanical skills. Anyway, he's always the voice of reason, I 've calmed down and will take the car in this weekend and find out whats wrong. I really don't have a choice at this point...cause even if I did want to trade it in, they would certainly check to see if the basic things work and I would be SOL and not get much of a trade in. So, I'll bite the bullit and just get it fixed....the end.

By the way...before I got this car I had a 96 Eclipse I bought brand new drove it for 10 years 115,000 miles and guess what....no problems. I never even had to replace the clutch. So, with that being said, a car of this caliber (Porsche) its so dissapointing they have so many little problems with them that cost an arm and leg if you have to go to the dealer. I guy I work with he use to own a Ferrari said that they refer to little annoying ****************e like this cat bites...HA more like shark bite to me!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 AM   #13

well what you have to keep in mind is that Mitsubishi like Toyota and Honda make hundreds of thousands of cars. All the feedback they get on all their models is used to improve the reliability across their whole line up. There's more room for trial by error.
Porsche by contrast makes a miniscule number of cars. How many people other than in your driving/racing clubs do you know who own a Porsche? Not many probably....
While Porsche is not a true boutique car builder like Panoz or Lamborghini, its production is still very small relative to other sports car makers. Porsche probably aren't devoting large sums of time and money in improving the non-essentials in the car like the stereo, ac controls, etc. like Toyota and Honda choose to. Porsche have enough issues that are serious to concentrate on, like a flawed engine design and the other familiar problems of this car.
For a "rare" car a modern Porsche is a very low maintenace/repair car. You have to look at that way. It will never be an S2000.

besides driving an Eclipse and a Boxster is no comparsion. You're talking world class vs. mass build. Go to any track an offer an experienced driver their choice of the two. You'll be impressed by the feedback you get on your Boxster.
Enjoy your car!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:35 AM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC986
Thanks for the response to my post and I do agree that the DIY is the best way to go, but unfortunatley I dont know a damn thing about working on cars, muchless working on a Porsche. I guess I can always try and get the fiance to try and test his mechanical skills. Anyway, he's always the voice of reason, I 've calmed down and will take the car in this weekend and find out whats wrong. I really don't have a choice at this point...cause even if I did want to trade it in, they would certainly check to see if the basic things work and I would be SOL and not get much of a trade in. So, I'll bite the bullit and just get it fixed....the end.

By the way...before I got this car I had a 96 Eclipse I bought brand new drove it for 10 years 115,000 miles and guess what....no problems. I never even had to replace the clutch. So, with that being said, a car of this caliber (Porsche) its so dissapointing they have so many little problems with them that cost an arm and leg if you have to go to the dealer. I guy I work with he use to own a Ferrari said that they refer to little annoying ****************e like this cat bites...HA more like shark bite to me!

Everyone has a different tolerance for these kinds of things. Personally, I have been spoiled by owning a number of Lexus autos. Hence, I have a very low tolerance for a break down of anything.

If it continues to bother you, there is no shame in selling the Porsche. They are certainly not for everyone and life will go on just fine.

Good luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #15

You bought your 96 eclipse new. That means you cared for it and subsequently, it lived long and well.

You bought this Boxster used I'm presuming. I'm sure many of your issues are to due to the previous owners' lack of care.

It's not necessarily Porsche's fault, although some, if not all of it, may be.

My dad has had tons of problems w/ his '03 SL500. That's an expensive car (even used) and even it has had many problems, probably due to the fact it was used.

So it's not all the manufacturer.

Hang in there
Old 02-06-2007, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Everyone has a different tolerance for these kinds of things. Personally, I have been spoiled by owning a number of Lexus autos. Hence, I have a very low tolerance for a break down of anything.

If it continues to bother you, there is no shame in selling the Porsche. They are certainly not for everyone and life will go on just fine.

Good luck!
x1 on being spoiled. I myself love to drive my C230 as my D/D (50 highway miles one way). Guilty? not really coz' when I drive the Box, I really drive it in twisties where it belong (that is according to my driving standards..hehehehehe)

Like what Bruce said, if it bother you, sell it and never look back
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #17

One word of caution - Boxster post-partum depression is a real issue! I understand that research scientists are working feverishly to develop a pill to cure this. Until then, all we can do is hope...

Quick story: went out for lunch today to a good Chinese place, walked 6-7 blocks in the cold. Saw a Boxster parked on the street, stopped a minute to study the wheels and intakes. Wasn't until AFTER I moved to leave that the reflection on the windshield changed and I could see that a lady was sitting in the car...

For the record: Both the most frustrating car AND the most frustrating motorcycle that I have owned were both made by Triumph of jolly old England. I fought the battles as long as I could, then retreated to live to fight another day.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #18

Maybe our OP is suffering from a failing ignition switch? I was just perusing the other post about the accessories still running, and it appears that a failing ignition switch can cause all kinds of weird electrical issues.

For a $25 part, I think I'd start there, then with the individual switches. Can't cost too much to fix some of those boogers he's encountering.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to Darkhamr
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
I should hope that if I do encounter any problems with my 01 Boxster, that they will be simple ones like worn or defective switches here and there.... rather than something like an RMS leak, or other more serious (and costly) problems.

Having a warranty is nice, tho.
Hey Fray, I forgot you got rid of the Tib for a Box. I should be joining you this week!
Darkhamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #20

Talking

Just spoke to a guy that owns a shop that specializes in Porche's and I explained what was going on and he told me to come on in and he would try to reset some switch. Of course I asked how much to do this.....believe or not he told me no charge, let see what happens. I'm leaving straight from work and going over there.

Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it's something that simple.