Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #1

2005 Boxster S initial impressions

I've put 100 miles on the car now, so I thought I'd give some thoughts about it.

It's been a blast to drive--other than the fact that I look like I stole daddy's car, I'm not getting many stares--the update was very low-key so people are used to seeing Boxsters and I'm not attracting that much attention.

I'm used to driving cars that have been prepped for track use and my other car is a modified 1998 turbo Eclipse. Not comparable in any way to the Boxster, but that's my background for comparison. I've driven track-prepped RX-7s, Lancer Evos, and assorted DSMs.

Of course, I haven't had much of a chance to actually "drive" the car yet so my initial impressions are fairly cosmetic:

1. The turning radius is awesome.

2. The Bose stereo system is nice, although I don't think it's handling my Doobie Brothers or Frankie Valli very well--they sound rather hollow and washed out, too much mid-range emphasis. Norah Jones sounds spectacular, as does Beck.

3. I'm not hearing any rattle from the windstop as others have mentioned, although I can see reflections vibrate on it. I've only driven as fast as 70 MPH so far though.

4. I hear the whistle from the side mirror that others have mentioned.

5. The engine sounds better with the top up.

6. The top controls are a bit annoying. It's a one-touch up/down button IF the car is moving. If you do it when the car is not moving, you have to hold the control down for the entire operation. If you let go of the button, the top stops moving and the computer warns you that the top isn't fully closed or retracted. If you push the button while driving, it starts moving but then if you pull up to a stoplight, it stops.

Why? Why!? What use would I have for opening the top halfway? It should ALWAYS be a one-touch button. If I want to stop it midway, I should be able to push the rocker switch in the other direction to stop the motion.

7. You will want to buy the sport chrono package. The electronic throttle is a bit annoying--in standard mode, it feels like the pedal is just not fully responsive--the very first bit of travel feels like it's being ignored--the car hesitates. I don't get this feeling at all when I push the sport button--the throttle feels as it should.

Seeing as how you have to have the sport chrono package to get the sport button/remapped throttle, I highly recommend buying the package, even though the chrono's a pretty silly option. I wish they gave me the option to have some other, more useful gauge in that pod.

8. I have PASM, but I don't think you need it to enjoy this car, really. I mean, I love it but I know they drive very well even without it. If you can't afford PASM, at the very least get the Sport Chrono package--that's much more important!

9. The clutch engagement is too high. I'm hoping that maybe the dealership can do something about this. I want it to be lower so I can put the clutch all the way down, then lift it just a bit to start clutch engagement. As it is right now, I feel like the engagement point is very vague and I have to sit pretty far back for things to be comfortable with the clutch, as a result of this....

10. The throws seem too long. I have to stretch my arm out all the way, and then some to engage third gear. I'm sure these points might be able to be rectified by seating position, but with that clutch engagement being so high (which is pretty typical for most cars I suppose) I can't sit much closer or else I'm going to have to lift my knee to bend my leg enough to get off the pedal. May have to look into the short shifter kit.

11. Shifter feels a little rubbery.

12. Putting your owner's manual kit in your glove compartment leaves very little room for much else.

13. I wish the engine was a little louder.

14. I am completely spoiled by this car's interior. The seats are fabulous--they hug me perfectly. The interior feel like quality, unlike my friend's C6 that has many little fit and finish issues.

15. I hope there's a way to get the big yellow and white warning labels off of the vanity mirrors. They cover the whole mirror back and are pretty garish.

16. The convertible top offers great road noise isolation with very little wind noise. I'm very impressed--it's a far cry from all of the other convertibles I've ever been in!

17. I may be feeling slight hesitation during certain part-throttle-tip-in situations, but I may be imagining things. I'll have to drive it some more before I know for sure.

Okay, so that sounds like a lot of complaining, but rest assured that I'm in love with this car. Turn-in is crisp, almost as if the front were toed-out a little bit even though it's not, and there's a perfect on-center feel. The suspension is taut and the chassis feels very rigid. The girlfriend is happy that her butt doesn't leave the seat when i sail over dips and bumps on the road; I'm happy that I can heel-toe into an onramp and get on the throttle way early and just power straight out of it...up to 4500 RPMs.

More handling/driving comments after 1100 miles... If anyone else would like to chime in, I'd love to hear what you have to say!

eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 06:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
6. The top controls are a bit annoying. It's a one-touch up/down button IF the car is moving. If you do it when the car is not moving, you have to hold the control down for the entire operation. If you let go of the button, the top stops moving and the computer warns you that the top isn't fully closed or retracted. If you push the button while driving, it starts moving but then if you pull up to a stoplight, it stops.

Why? Why!? What use would I have for opening the top halfway? It should ALWAYS be a one-touch button. If I want to stop it midway, I should be able to push the rocker switch in the other direction to stop the motion.
ummm...let me see....to do an oil change or engine service perhaps!
THe "halfway" position is the "Service position" It is needed to access the engine.
With a "one touch" all the time, it would take you forever to time the service position correctly.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
ummm...let me see....to do an oil change or engine service perhaps!
THe "halfway" position is the "Service position" It is needed to access the engine.
With a "one touch" all the time, it would take you forever to time the service position correctly.
You misunderstand--there isn't a "halfway position". You can let your finger off at any time and it will stop. It might be one inch away from the windshield, it might be one inch away from being all the way flat, or anywhere in between.

They'll still have to time it to get it in a "service position".
Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 PM   #4

I'm with you on the clutch engagement being too high....I have a '98 , not sure if its the same as the '05, but being that I am relearning a car with manual, it does seem to be a bit vague......If it were closer to the floor it would definitely be easier to get a feel for the engagement/ release point .......But practice makes perfect! Also makes it a bit more difficult when you have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to start it up (As far as seat positioning) .

Sounds like for the most part you're enjoying it!

Let us know if you find anything out about getting the clutch a little closer to the floor as well

Lou

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced

Last edited by bigislandboxster; 05-17-2005 at 06:16 PM.
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #5

Some of the things you're complaining about can be remedied with some cash:

1. Short shifter kit will reduce the throws by 20% or more. Not too expensive.
2. Louder engine? That's gonna cost you with a new exhaust, but it's available.
3. Vanity mirror warnings: You can cover them up with stickers...someone one ebay sells them all the time.
4. The clutch should be able to be adjusted down to the bottom of the range instead of the top... this is a preference thing and they should do it for free under warranty.

The tiny delay in accelleration is very odd in normal mode...I'd whine about this to the dealership and see if they can fiddle with your eletronics. I don't think it should be that way, but I sure do appreciate the heads up if it can't be remedied any other way than to use the sport mode!

The sound system in this car is never going to be stellar... there's just no room for speakers of any real size to produce a volume of sound (not loudness but amount) with the top down or even up. The dealer would tell you the sound of the engine and the wind in your hair should compensate for any deficiencies in the sound system... and to a very small point, I think they're right. They're mostly wrong though, just to insure you know I am a stereo junkie as well and always want more sound fidelity from my car and home systems!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks for that info! The engine noise... I shouldn't even been complaining about that yet--I haven't even HEARD it yet really--nothing over half-throttle, nothing over 4500 RPMs. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Porsche has their short shifter kit that I'm sure costs an arm and a leg. I doubt that B&M has made a short shifter for the new 6-speed yet though, eh? I'll wait. It's premature for me to consider modifying anything anyhow.

I'll definitely have a talk with the dealer about the pedal, and I'll definitely look for those stickers that you mentioned!

As for the sound system, yeah I knew I would need to at least get the top-of-the-line system if I wanted to enjoy music in this car at all, but I'm a bit bummed out by how variable the bass control seems to be. Even at the baseline setting, bass sounds rather blown out and heavy at times. I'm not sure if it's the surround sound setting or the automatic adjustments it's making on the fly, but I'll fiddle with it later. I'm a bit of a two-channel hi-fi nut myself, and I know I'll never get that level of audio satisfaction in a car, but it'd be nice to approach it at least.

Last edited by eslai; 05-16-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #7

Usually, the short shifter kits have nothing to do with it being a 5 speed or 6 speed.

But you are right, if the linkage is different on the 987's, the one they currently sell may not work. You should inquire about it via their web site.

I sure wouldn't pay the dealership prices on one of these short shifters though

I'd wait until B&M or Schnell comes out with one. Far cheaper.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Usually, the short shifter kits have nothing to do with it being a 5 speed or 6 speed.

But you are right, if the linkage is different on the 987's, the one they currently sell may not work. You should inquire about it via their web site.

I sure wouldn't pay the dealership prices on one of these short shifters though

I'd wait until B&M or Schnell comes out with one. Far cheaper.
Yeah, I had a B&M in my Eclipse for a while, it was only $155. I probably can't buy Porsche emblem from the dealer for that cheap.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 PM   #9

Lighten Up

OK, I'm an old fart with an '05 S also, but...

You are going to drive your service manager to drink.

Clutch - Have you ever driven a non-syncro transmission? Forklift? Duece & 1/2?
Rubbery shifter - Huh? Driven a '50 Chev?
Stereo - pull the fuse, concentrate on driving...
Throttle hesitation - Push Down Harder.
No room for owner's manual - you're driving ME to drink.
:ah:

Now I feel better, and back to the business of sucking the headlights out of Harleys
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #10

The reason you are probably disappointed in the exhaust loudness is because you have only taken the engine to 4,500 rpm. The cam change happens at just over 5k rpm and the exhaust note takes on a much more aggressive personality. 5,000 to 7,200 is a blast. That being said I am still going to get dansk headers and cats for the car to give it even more growl at WOT and hopefully gain some power in the proccess.

P.S. If the clutch is too stiff, beef up those legs and do some squats! lol (JK)
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
OK, I'm an old fart with an '05 S also, but...

You are going to drive your service manager to drink.

Clutch - Have you ever driven a non-syncro transmission? Forklift? Duece & 1/2?
Rubbery shifter - Huh? Driven a '50 Chev?
Stereo - pull the fuse, concentrate on driving...
Throttle hesitation - Push Down Harder.
No room for owner's manual - you're driving ME to drink.
:ah:

Now I feel better, and back to the business of sucking the headlights out of Harleys
Now how am I supposed to respond to that? Are you trying to tell me that I'm not supposed to scrutinize my car? That I shouldn't whine, perhaps? That I don't know how good I've got it? That sixty-three-thousand dollars does not afford me the luxury of discussing my gripes about what you seem so ready to "take and like"?

I've driven race cars with dog box transmissions, I've driven a Mitsubishi Mirage with no brakes, 400 horsepower and a shifter with a two-foot throw and zero gear engagement feel. I've driven cars with sequential shifters that I had to throw my whole body into in order to get into gear.

I've driven cars that are so loud that you can't hear the stereo--hell, I've driven cars with a helmet on so I couldn't hear anything but the pit crew. I've been pinned down in a five-point harness, feet flopping around on the baseboard, mouth cracked in a maniacal grin as I ride along as a passenger, hitting 120 MPH around turn nine at WSIR.

I've tuned cars running standalone engine management systems, I've seen first-hand how bad things can be and have a high understanding and appreciation for things when they are done right. I've wrenched on cars for SCCA Club Rally, I've seen the effects of poor engineering and can appreciate a job well done.

I am an engineer by trade, an automotive mechanic by hobby. I grew up with posters of sports cars on my walls, not Cadillacs; I am passionate about driving.

It is because of all of the above that I know what I want out of an automobile. Porsche is satisfying me in ways that I never imagined. Does that mean I'm not allowed to notice and comment on the things I think are lacking?

So far the only things I have to say to my dealer are: "So the headlights aren't shining level, I'd like you to lower the clutch engagement and you guys forgot to poke a hole in the driver side carpet to attach that floor mat peg to."

Other than that, The stereo is what the stereo is; the owner's manual is going in the trunk; the shifter may get a short-throw treatment; the shifter cable end-links may get a heim joint treatment someday/the mounting bushings may get switched out for polyurethane; the throttle hesitation may be my imagination; you may be unable to understand where I'm coming from; I may just have to be okay with your rudeness.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
The reason you are probably disappointed in the exhaust loudness is because you have only taken the engine to 4,500 rpm. The cam change happens at just over 5k rpm and the exhaust note takes on a much more aggressive personality. 5,000 to 7,200 is a blast. That being said I am still going to get dansk headers and cats for the car to give it even more growl at WOT and hopefully gain some power in the proccess.

P.S. If the clutch is too stiff, beef up those legs and do some squats! lol (JK)
I agree about the engine noise--I already mentioned the same thing you just did, a little further up in this thread. Actually, I can feel the cam change right around 4500 it seems, the car just starts "going" and then I let off the gas.

The clutch is much more pussified than what I'm used to--the pedal is almost as light as an Acura Integra/RSX's, the engagement is pretty slow/damped, and the engagement point is just too high. It makes the car really easy to drive, in general, but it all feels too "soft" for my tastes. I'm sure I'll get used to it though and then I'll get back in the Eclipse and stall it at every opportunity.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #13

Someone just needs to calm down. Its not that nice of a car, if you want a good car, get rid of your Mitsu and get a 360, or C4S. After you break it in post about it
Old 05-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #14

Eslai, I am glad you are on this list. Stick around long enough to come back to this thread and give me an update on how the car feels after the break in period is over and you can near-redline it.

You are driving my dream car, which I hope to buy one day in four or five years when I can afford it as a pre-owned car. I will enjoy my 2.5 MY97 until then.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJoyce
Someone just needs to calm down. Its not that nice of a car, if you want a good car, get rid of your Mitsu and get a 360, or C4S. After you break it in post about it
Meh, I posted that late at night when I was grumpier. I don't think I'm over-critiquing the car though--I just stated the things that i noticed, and a lot of them have nothing to do with the driving experience.

Hell, I'm posting here--I'm obviously a happy owner. If I can't tell other owners what I've found lacking in our own cars, well that'd be a damned shame.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:00 AM   #16

Talking

Its all good. We want to hear about the 987 and you are doing that.

Thanks
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:25 AM   #17

Talking

thanks for the review and impressions...people have to keep in mind that impressions are only that, and they are from our own personal reference point...i have had my box s 987 for 5 weeks and 800 miles.... the exhaust and engine sound great to me...very quiet under 2000 but nice over 3000 rpm, of course i havent gone above 4200-4500 rpm, but at this level is sounding great.....keep in mind i am coming from a 360 spider with a tubi exhaust, and the boxster still sounds great, esp. now that so many sports cars are too quiet and without nice sound.......on my bosxt. i like the clutch take up point and it seems ok to me....the shifter seems short throw and very positive and solid, and is better than the ferraris and most sports cars...perhaps you are sitting too far back? the ergonomics fit me perfectly, but i am only 5-9......
scycle2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJoyce
i have a 360 spider and the 987s is a very nice car, and actually more fun to drive than my neighbors c4s, which doesnt handle as well, is not as responsive, and is only very marginally faster than the boxster s.....
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by scycle2020
i like the clutch take up point and it seems ok to me....the shifter seems short throw and very positive and solid, and is better than the ferraris and most sports cars...perhaps you are sitting too far back?
I'm definitely sitting too far back, but that's because the clutch take-up point seems too high for me. We'll see how it is once I get it adjusted. I still think the shifter feels a little spongy to me--I'm used to more harsh gear boxes I think. Actually, I just wish it felt more like a Miata's--THAT is an awesome gearbox!
Old 05-18-2005, 04:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I'm definitely sitting too far back, but that's because the clutch take-up point seems too high for me. We'll see how it is once I get it adjusted. I still think the shifter feels a little spongy to me--I'm used to more harsh gear boxes I think. Actually, I just wish it felt more like a Miata's--THAT is an awesome gearbox!
i have never driven the miata, i have heard the gearbox and shifter are wonderful....the 2000s has a nice short throw shifter, but it can be a little notch from 1 to 2.... :dance: