Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #21

As a former owner of both a Miata and an S2000, I would have to agree that their linkages are incredible. Especially the S2000, which one magazine described as "like a rifle bolt." It is impossible to make the linkage for a transmission that sits so far away from the shifter anywhere near as precise as one that sits directly beneath the shifter. I am not complaining as to the Boxster's shifter, just making a point.

9000RPMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I agree about the engine noise--I already mentioned the same thing you just did, a little further up in this thread. Actually, I can feel the cam change right around 4500 it seems, the car just starts "going" and then I let off the gas.
I picked up a book at work that comprehensively covers the boxster. The exact rpm when the vario-cam kicks in is 5,120 rpm. 4,500 rpm is right around the torque peak of the engine so I can see why some ppl think it kicks in at a lower engine speed. Just thought I would share this little piece of trivia.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #23

Oh yeah? Is everything the same for the new car?
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #24

I haven't heard anything about Porsche changing anything the variocam in the numerous articles I've read.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #25
jwc

Initial impression

I just hit 3000km's on mine - so break in is basically over (it only took a few weeks but tons of self control). My impressions...
- I love the car!
- Sounds very nice, at lower rpm's there is that cool high-tech sounding "whine" (I like to call it 'the angels singing'); then the beautiful high RPM sound
- I don't have any rattles with the top down, but there are a few coming from the top when it is up (not very often)
- I didn't get the upgraded Bozo stereo, I like the way mine works (controls etc.) but it sounds like a tin can. I pretty much leave it off and listen to the engine and bugs hitting the windshield.
- Handling is a dream; the driving sensations from this car are utopia.
- Battery cover is bowed a bit (as mentioned by others in this thread)
- I've had two Miata's, and I do love their shifting; but I like the Boxster as well. It doesn't have the same 'snick', but it is very smooth. I have to watch fourth to make sure it is all the way in (about half way it feels like you might be there).
- I rarely drive the Viper any more; just enough to keep the battery charged etc.
- I like the looks of it better every time I see it; it has really grown on me.
- Absolutely no buyer's regret.
- Life is great... and get a 987 if you can!
jwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc
- I've had two Miata's, and I do love their shifting; but I like the Boxster as well. It doesn't have the same 'snick', but it is very smooth. I have to watch fourth to make sure it is all the way in (about half way it feels like you might be there).
Yeah, that's EXACTLY how I feel about it, although i also get that feeling when I shift into third.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, and that your issues seem consistant with mine!
Old 05-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #27

I too have an 05' S and I have the same problem with it not always going into fourth. Is this normal?

My wind deflector rattles also. I thought I read somewhere that someone used double sided foam sticky tape to get it to stop rattling. Anyone try this?

I have taken people for a ride in the car and when they hear that "whine" at low rpms, they often ask if it is a turbo. I just chuckle to myself. I can't get enough of the sound, but I too wish the engine was a hair louder. I am not one for changing the exhaust. I did that on my VR6 Corrado and I ended up wishing I hadn't.

I only have 600 miles on mine and I love it. I could sit here all day and list the positives of the car, but I don't have time. I need to go put some more miles on.
BoxsterMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #28

Thanks for the honest review! Two questions regarding the sport button:

Where is it located?

And do you see any practical reason why they did not make this "sport" throttle mapping standard on all Boxsters (or maybe just the S) and do away with this button altogether? It seems like a gimmick/scam to fatten Porsche's wallets, but then again I haven't driven one so I can't comment for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
7. You will want to buy the sport chrono package. The electronic throttle is a bit annoying--in standard mode, it feels like the pedal is just not fully responsive--the very first bit of travel feels like it's being ignored--the car hesitates. I don't get this feeling at all when I push the sport button--the throttle feels as it should.
17. I may be feeling slight hesitation during certain part-throttle-tip-in situations, but I may be imagining things. I'll have to drive it some more before I know for sure.
ho2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:52 AM   #29

It's located right next to the spoiler button, down low on the center console. Not the most convenient location if you're thinking of switching it on in the heat of the moment, but then, you'd want to be better prepared than that anyhow.

It's a gimmick, for sure--I have no idea why they didn't just make all cars have the better throttle mapping. Maybe they weren't able to get the nice (fake) mileage estimates with the faster throttle opening?

After 2500 miles, I really don't like the electronic throttle. It makes for some strange part-throttle, light-throttle action. Lots of dead spots at low RPM/low throttle, like around tip-in and non-100% lift-off. Or maybe it just feels like it could use a bit more hysteresis around the idle point. I've had a similar experience with my mother's Mercedes E320...

Last edited by eslai; 06-21-2005 at 01:59 AM.