View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
eslai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
OK, I'm an old fart with an '05 S also, but...

You are going to drive your service manager to drink.

Clutch - Have you ever driven a non-syncro transmission? Forklift? Duece & 1/2?
Rubbery shifter - Huh? Driven a '50 Chev?
Stereo - pull the fuse, concentrate on driving...
Throttle hesitation - Push Down Harder.
No room for owner's manual - you're driving ME to drink.
:ah:

Now I feel better, and back to the business of sucking the headlights out of Harleys
Now how am I supposed to respond to that? Are you trying to tell me that I'm not supposed to scrutinize my car? That I shouldn't whine, perhaps? That I don't know how good I've got it? That sixty-three-thousand dollars does not afford me the luxury of discussing my gripes about what you seem so ready to "take and like"?

I've driven race cars with dog box transmissions, I've driven a Mitsubishi Mirage with no brakes, 400 horsepower and a shifter with a two-foot throw and zero gear engagement feel. I've driven cars with sequential shifters that I had to throw my whole body into in order to get into gear.

I've driven cars that are so loud that you can't hear the stereo--hell, I've driven cars with a helmet on so I couldn't hear anything but the pit crew. I've been pinned down in a five-point harness, feet flopping around on the baseboard, mouth cracked in a maniacal grin as I ride along as a passenger, hitting 120 MPH around turn nine at WSIR.

I've tuned cars running standalone engine management systems, I've seen first-hand how bad things can be and have a high understanding and appreciation for things when they are done right. I've wrenched on cars for SCCA Club Rally, I've seen the effects of poor engineering and can appreciate a job well done.

I am an engineer by trade, an automotive mechanic by hobby. I grew up with posters of sports cars on my walls, not Cadillacs; I am passionate about driving.

It is because of all of the above that I know what I want out of an automobile. Porsche is satisfying me in ways that I never imagined. Does that mean I'm not allowed to notice and comment on the things I think are lacking?

So far the only things I have to say to my dealer are: "So the headlights aren't shining level, I'd like you to lower the clutch engagement and you guys forgot to poke a hole in the driver side carpet to attach that floor mat peg to."

Other than that, The stereo is what the stereo is; the owner's manual is going in the trunk; the shifter may get a short-throw treatment; the shifter cable end-links may get a heim joint treatment someday/the mounting bushings may get switched out for polyurethane; the throttle hesitation may be my imagination; you may be unable to understand where I'm coming from; I may just have to be okay with your rudeness.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote