Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2023, 11:49 AM   #21

Garage
I like the posts 78F350!

Old 08-13-2023, 11:44 AM   #22
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I found a good deal on a sending unit and pump for the Blue Aero car, so I decided to get the engine running normally before I pull it. Installing the pump and sender is a little awkward due to the tight space. I found it best to install the pump, then lower the sender half way to connect the hoses and wires from the pump. The car started up on the second try after fuel primed through the system. I thought it was good, but it quickly stalled. Oops, the supply line wasn't fully seated on the sending unit and popped off. Lots of fuel in the driveway. Glad I wasn't in the garage.

I put the hose on correctly, cleaned the area and it started right up and ran great. Video: https://youtu.be/OtRRR5MqCnI

Here's the mess of about 80 wire splices I did to get the immobilizer box connected. ...good practice for the solder heat shrink connectors. If I eventually build this car back up, I'll probably put a whole new cabin wire harness in.

The engine was filthy. I used a foaming upholstery cleaner on it and sprayed it on low pressure with my pressure washer. I'm now ready to remove the engine and prepare it for the silver 2000 S.

Last edited by 78F350; 08-13-2023 at 08:51 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 05:41 AM   #23

Garage
Your use of foaming upholstery cleaner on engine is nee. The results look great.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Your use of foaming upholstery cleaner on engine is nee. The results look great.
Thanks. I should add greater emphasis to using LOW Pressure if using a power washer and pay attention to where it is pointed. The wire harness connections were water resistant 20 years ago, but may not withstand direct pressurized after. I like to run the engine and warm it up afterward to help clear off residual moisture and make sure everything is good.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:21 AM   #25

Garage
The engine has been removed from the Blue '02 S for a while now and is in my garage. It needs more clean up, but the transmission and flywheel are off and it's ready for me to replace the IMS bearing with a LN 'Single Row Pro' bearing.

I am thinking of selling the 6-speed transmission. The problem I have is that I can't test it to make sure that it's good.

Currently there are three 986 engines on my garage floor. A 2.7L from the Frog that has bad rod knock and chunks of metal in the oil, a 'good' 2.7L that had the wire to a variocam actuator cut during the previous owner's removal, and the good 3.2L that is getting ready for the silver car. Today I'm trying to strip all the useful parts off the chunky 2.7L so I can scrap the block next week.

Meanwhile I have a Honda CR-V and two Toyota Prii that I'm working on catching up on maintenance and fixing a few issues.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:27 PM   #26

Garage
The original single row IMS bearing was in great shape and has now been replaced with the new LN bearing using the Faultless IMS tool.

New Pierburg water pump is on.

A few other minor things, then I'm pulling the bad engine from the silver car to swap over the almost new clutch and flywheel along with the intake and injectors.
Old 10-16-2023, 05:02 PM   #27

Garage
The Silver 2000 S is running well and on the road now with the engine from the '02 S. It took a long time to get it all done, but life has been busy with a daughter's wedding, work, and several medical issues.

I plan to daily drive it for a while to make sure no problems develop. I also have some minor work to do with trim pieces and maybe converting the top back to normal operation. It's a nice car, but I don't plan to keep it long - owning it doesn't bring me anything more than my other Boxsters already provide.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:03 PM   #28

Garage
I hope everyone is doing well. Been there and done that as far as medical issues….
Old 10-17-2023, 06:53 AM   #29

Garage
Nice work!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #30

Garage
Now I'm ignoring the silver 2000 for a few days. I have a Gambler 500 Rally this weekend and want to give the Xbox a little attention before I spend a weekend driving it on and off-road across southern Oklahoma.
Old 10-19-2023, 06:39 AM   #31
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Now I'm ignoring the silver 2000 for a few days. I have a Gambler 500 Rally this weekend and want to give the Xbox a little attention before I spend a weekend driving it on and off-road across southern Oklahoma.
Gotta love those license plate fender flares!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 07:32 PM   #32

Garage
Camping with friends. Back road driving and picking up trash. Perhaps drinking a bit too much tequila in the evening as we tell stories. A good weekend.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:11 PM   #33

Garage
Looks like a crazy good time
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 10-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Looks like a crazy good time
For me, the best part was handing the car key over to people and saying, "Have fun and don't worry about breaking it."
This couple was having a good time with it. When they stopped in the distance and got out I was worried. Nothing was wrong.... They walked across the front of the car, high-fived each other and switched drivers. Tore up the dirt track for another 10 minutes and got out with big grins.

Last edited by 78F350; 10-23-2023 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:01 AM   #35

Garage
I like '99 models, but I had to conclude that the black one I bought was not going to be worth the effort to make 'nice'. I don't need more Boxsters or projects, but I figure I can part out the black one into this, then destroy the evidence that the black one ever existed.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:05 AM   #36

Garage
The cold heavy rain stopped as I arrived to pick up the car. Aside from the bad engine it's in very nice condition for a 24 year old car. The seller had tried to replace the engine and keep it. After buying two supposedly good engines and finding them both to be in bad shape he became frustrated and found an '03 in need of minor repair and bought it as a replacement. In doing so, he needed a radiator, the front bumper and left fender from the '99, so I bought the car significantly discounted.

The interior looks well cared for and everything I've checked functions correctly. Eventually I'll give the leather seats a good cleaning and probably repair any minor cracking to keep the original interior in good shape.

The engine will come from the terrible '99, but I need to make a decision about what body parts to use to finish the car. The parts will need paint and I am very tempted to take the aero kit parts from the blue '02 instead of the rough bumper and fender from the '99. If I do the aero kit, this car will be a keeper for sure.

Note: Always lock or tape the fuel lid if you are towing a 986 backwards. I learned that with my rallycross car. The air flow can easily open it and rip it off the hinge.

Last edited by 78F350; 10-29-2023 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 10:33 AM   #37

Garage
Nice, good luck!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 11-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #38

Garage
Thanks Bruce.
Before I get to work on the '99 I want to finish up the silver 2000 S. After installing the engine, I found a couple things that need(ed) to be addressed.
There was a smell of coolant inside the car while driving it. I correctly suspected that the heater core was leaking.

Replacing it was not difficult, but the whole windshield wiper mechanism needed to be removed to reach it. While I was in there I put some flue tape on the heat flap door to replace the foam that had disintegrated.

Next I plan to pull the front bumper off and clean the radiators. It's running a little hotter than my other cars, which generally stay centered on the '8' of the '180' in normal driving conditions.

The brake pad warning light comes on occasionally. I found that the pads and rotors look okay, but the sensor is not installed in the pads on the left side. I will replace the sensor, but have not decided if I want to replace the 'still good' pads and rotors.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:29 PM   #39

You think anyone could braze one of those heater cores?
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 02:40 AM   #40

Garage
It looks like the failure is at the pressed seal at the top of the heater core. In this case, I don't think brazing is an option. It is constructed with copper tubing where the coolant circulates, so brazing may work if it failed there. Easy enough to buy new though.