Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #1

Garage
Anyone tried the new Koni FSD struts?

Has anyone heard of or had experience using the new Koni FSD struts? Edelbrock had similar system with their IAS shocks. Once I used the IAS shocks I installed them on everything I drove, They were extraordinary. I am quite interested in these new Konis and would like to hear thoughts. Thanks

KONI: shock absorbers kit containing front & rear shocks

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

I had some Koni FSDs installed on mom's 2001 VW Golf. The car was amazingly smooth over speed bumps, yet handled petty well. Not as good as high-end performance oriented shocks, but a good compromise for a street car where comfort and compliance over bumps is worth trading off for a bit less than the max performance.

For my 2001 box that I just upgraded to M030 springs, I opted for Koni sports rather than Koni FSD. Just because it's a Porsche, and I want it to feel more sporty. Don't mind feeling a little of the bumps. Still is not bad with the Konis sports. The FSDs also are not adjustable like the sports are (only the fronts are truly externally adjustable on the Boxster Koni sports - to adjust the rears requires they be removed).

The Konis (both FSD and sport) are both still a pretty new product for the 986 Boxster, having been out for less than 1 year. Maybe someone else here will have tried the Koni sports, and can report.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:42 AM   #3

They are ok.
I prefer bilsteins with stock springs.
O o
xzl6b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

I installed the Koni sports on my car about 5,000 miles ago and I really like them. Mine are set to the softest setting and are perfect for the street. Nice stuff ride but not so stiff speed bumps and rough patches are a big issue.
oc-boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 AM   #5

Garage
[QUOTE=jakeru;470614]I had some Koni FSDs installed on mom's 2001 VW Golf. The car was amazingly smooth over speed bumps, yet handled petty well. Not as good as high-end performance oriented shocks, but a good compromise for a street car where comfort and compliance over bumps is worth trading off for a bit less than the max performance.

For my 2001 box that I just upgraded to M030 springs, I opted for Koni sports rather than Koni FSD. Just because it's a Porsche, and I want it to feel more sporty. Don't mind feeling a little of the bumps. Still is not bad with the Konis sports. The FSDs also are not adjustable like the sports are (only the fronts are truly externally adjustable on the Boxster Koni sports - to adjust the rears requires they be removed).

Jakeru Thanks for the reply. My apologies for not responding. I somehow missed the reply in my own post!! I'm with you on the adjustable shocks. I've had several Adjustable Koni's and since they were a PITA to adjust they usually remained on the original setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzl6b1 View Post
They are ok.
I prefer bilsteins with stock springs.
O o
Are you saying the FSDs are ok or the Sport?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc-boxster View Post
I installed the Koni sports on my car about 5,000 miles ago and I really like them. Mine are set to the softest setting and are perfect for the street. Nice stuff ride but not so stiff speed bumps and rough patches are a big issue.
Koni's have always been great shocks and for a lot of years were THE shock to own. Koni is pretty limited in their explanation of the technology behind the FSD shock but in my opinion is a mechanical version of PASM. Yes I know PASM uses a computer to control many more aspects of wheel and body control, but both use fluid control. I have attached an article which offers a little more info on IAS technology, and yes it is used in racing!

Inertia Active Suspension Technology
Old 01-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Jakeru Thanks for the reply. My apologies for not responding. I somehow missed the reply in my own post!! I'm with you on the adjustable shocks. I've had several Adjustable Koni's and since they were a PITA to adjust they usually remained on the original setting.
IME, just having one end of the car being adjustable can be a tremendously useful tuning aid if you ever autocross or otherwise want to dial in the handling characteristic (understeer/oversteer) to near perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Koni is pretty limited in their explanation of the technology behind the FSD shock but in my opinion is a mechanical version of PASM.
I think about Koni FSD as being an extremely digressive shock valving - more digressive than any other shock valving on the market.

Last edited by jakeru; 01-07-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:51 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
IME, just having one end of the car being adjustable can be a tremendously useful tuning aid if you ever autocross or otherwise want to dial in the handling characteristic (understeer/oversteer) to near perfection.

I think about Koni FSD as being an extremely digressive shock valving - more digressive than any other shock valving on the market.
Agreed! As far as I know they are the only shock offering the technology to our cars. This is the part I am curious about i.e. In a large impact when bypass opens and blows through the spring travel, what happens when/if it hits the bump stops? I do have experience with this tech offload and I thought they were amazing but what really set them apart was how they handled washboard. Instead of skittering around on top of the bumps they were very compliant and took it in stride.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

I have some dyno plots of the rear 986 Koni sports. Not quite as digressive looking as I was hoping to see, but I'll bet they're going to work very nicely. Would be interesting to compare it against a 986 FSD shock dyno plot, if anyone could muster one of those.

(I had to return the first set of Koni sport rears for exchange, due to unbalanced compression valving left to right. Koni made good on it and sent me the new replacements along with individually tested dyno plots.)

I'm not really sure what you're asking about with the bump stops. But these 986 bump stops are rather long/tall and engage early, giving basically a progressive rate spring.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:25 AM   #9

Dyno plots for suspension?...

I'm lost
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Dyno plots for suspension?...

I'm lost
Even in NASCAR!

Shock Absorber - Shock Dyno - Reading Shocks - Circle Track Magazine
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Well I'll be damned. A shock dyno. In all the years I've had an interest in automobiles... that's a first. Does seem a bit of overkill for a road car, but hey, if I can optimize within my budget, why not? I'll hafta look for such "dyno" comparisons of suspension setups I'm interested in once the time comes to replace the factory pieces.

Interestingly, the "Bilstein Oval Track Technical Center" is eight miles up the road from me. Wonder if I can audit a class 'er two?
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
NASCAR!!!! These shocks were developed with the McLaren F1 racing team.

https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/koni_mclarenF1.pdf
Old 01-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #13
02 box s

I just installed them on my 996 with eibach springs and sways. The car is about an inch lower but feels almost the same as before as far as dynamics go. It's as if the struts are slightly softer than stock and the springs progressively firmer. If you want a better ride height, but want the car to ride essentially like stock then I would recommend them. There was no transformation of the car like in my boxster when I switched to biksteins and hr bars and springs. I hope that helped.

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
I just installed them on my 996 with eibach springs and sways. The car is about an inch lower but feels almost the same as before as far as dynamics go. It's as if the struts are slightly softer than stock and the springs progressively firmer. If you want a better ride height, but want the car to ride essentially like stock then I would recommend them. There was no transformation of the car like in my boxster when I switched to biksteins and hr bars and springs. I hope that helped.
Thanks! All input is appreciated. What was your decision driver? I see these FSDs are highly thought of on the Renlist. Also your comments tend to mirror the Tire Rack test concerning the slalom, Where they initially thought the car too soft and comfy until they timed them and they outperformed the Sport on the soft setting. I think the explanation was the FSD maintained tire contact much better.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #15

Here is the shock dyno plot for my two rear 986 Koni sports. (I believe set to minimum rebound setting.)

The purpose of the dyno run (performed by Koni) was to verify that both sides matched before they sent my repalcements. This was the replacement set Koni shipped which I still need to install in the car. The set I initially got and returned were quite uneven in low speed compression damping (even without a shock dyno, it was blatantly obvious to me that one side compressed about 3x as fast as the other given an approximately equal force... which is definitely not the hot ticket as on konis only the rebound adjusts so you'd be stuck with screwed up shock valving and poor handling characteristics!)

I'd be interested to hear what the above plots looks like (in terms of the "kinked" shape, etc) for someone really into suspension tuning who is really up in interpreting these things. (Although comparing against similar Koni FSD plots for the 986 rear, if they could be obtained by anyone else somehow, would be very interesting to see!)

I take my suspension setup seriously as I have an interest in autocross racing and any serious competitor there knows the importance of good shocks. (In stock class, shocks are one of the few things that are allowed to be modified.) I trophied at SCCA Solo nationals a few years ago in a "lowly" VW. (But it was rocking custom-valved, double adjustable Konis front and rear.) I hate to say it but the lowly VW can still run circles around my 986 at lower speeds. (At higher speed, the aerodynamics of course favor the Boxster.) So I've got some more work to do on my fairly high-mileage 986 to bring it up to my performance expectations for what a Porsche should do. (The front suspension rebuild was already a huge improvement, but I'm really looking forward to getting the rear Koni spots on there.) For many years, I've admired watching Boxsters with the mesmerizing and amazingly neutral looking handling dynamics dodging autocross course cones at speed.

Last edited by jakeru; 01-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #16

Garage
Jakeru looks like a very well matched set of shocks. I'm certainly no shock expert, those guys are magicians, anyone that can design a suspension for a stadium truck that can launch 20 feet in the air and land on level ground like a butterfly with sore feet really knows their stuff. What I do see from the chart is that these shocks are very linear. The compression is linear in the slow speed until the transition to high speed where it firms up just prior to valve pack opening and is divergent in the high speed circuit. I see what you mean by not being as divergent as one would expect. In fact I would have expected the initial response curve to be much steeper. These are definitely on the full soft setting based on the rebound slope (no knee). It would have been really useful if they had made a few plots with a couple adjustments to the firmness setting. Guess that's for the experts.

Last edited by 911monty; 01-09-2016 at 07:18 AM. Reason: it's late
Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I have a damper plot for a standard S damper at 65k ish and an M030 at approx 105k ...
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I have a damper plot for a standard S damper at 65k ish and an M030 at approx 105k ...
Can you post it? I have requested a Dyno sheet from Koni NA for the FSD shocks and will post it here for comparison if they come through. Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #19
02 box s

I went the fsd route because the bilsteins and hr setup on the boxster was too stiff for my wife and lowered the the car too much. I also don't track my car so I was not interested in pss9 and the additional expense. I had Komi sports on my old 914 and had hoped they would be a good choice.

I appear to be a bit of a guinea pig on the 996 as most renlisters running fsd are 993s. My feelings are that the eibach and fsd combo is a little soft. But then again it still rides well and doesn't crash over rough roads. It certainly doesn't handle worse than stock, the ride height looks much better, and my wife still rides with me!

02 911 carrera2, full leather, tubi exhaust, colored gauge faces, agency power short shift, DOF IMS fix, litronics, tech art shifter, spin on filter adapter
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:04 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt brad View Post
I went the fsd route because the bilsteins and hr setup on the boxster was too stiff for my wife and lowered the the car too much. I also don't track my car so I was not interested in pss9 and the additional expense. I had Komi sports on my old 914 and had hoped they would be a good choice.

I appear to be a bit of a guinea pig on the 996 as most renlisters running fsd are 993s. My feelings are that the eibach and fsd combo is a little soft. But then again it still rides well and doesn't crash over rough roads. It certainly doesn't handle worse than stock, the ride height looks much better, and my wife still rides with me!
Thanks for that feedback. Sounds like what I'm looking for.