Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #61
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
My FSDs have been sitting in my garage since the turn of the year.

Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #62

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
My FSD will be going on with -10 H&R springs. It's replacing my old M030.
This is almost exactly what I want to do (though I have ROW M030 now). Do let us know how it goes and what additional parts you required.
PaulDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:35 AM   #63
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I am in UK so already have what you call ROW M030 on my 550 Anniversary. I already have rear adjustable toe links. With the new parts I already posted and the arms/bushes already being done I am not expecting anything else to be needed.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
Old 09-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #64

I should be getting mine soon :dance:

Anyone else having problems with this site?
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:43 AM   #65

Got them yesterday afternoon. Will try to find time to install this weekend.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #66

Fronts are in. I'll save the review for when the backs compliment the front but so far after a ten mile blast
Old 10-09-2017, 06:22 AM   #67

Update, finished rear install yesterday afternoon but battery was low from leaving trunk open all day with keys in... Battery charged over night.
Morning run for pastries, what a difference. I'll give the new springs a week to settle and get it aligned.
Initial impression is crashiness is gone and ride is firm. I think upgraded sways might be in the cards though.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:13 AM   #68

I now have some time and miles on these and here are my thoughts.

The car now handles larger road imperfections that would make it feel as though the windshield might break with no more than a small thud if that. The smallest stuff is still noticeable, I assume because of the higher spring rate of the M030 springs. Cabin noise in the form of squeaks and groans is greatly reduced.
Generally very pleased with the ride and it corners flatter than I had imagined it would.

Rear fitment was not great with the paint being scraped off the bottom of the strut while getting it started. Also the weld blobs,(too big), on the bracket to casing fouled on the knuckle gap. I will have to touch up the paint. While getting the alignement I noticed a bit of dampness on one rear. I will have to keep an eye on it. And finally at -10C on my morning commute yesterday the ride was noticeably stiffer. Searching the net I found several comments regarding cold weather operation that were not favourable. While not a concern for the boxster, as it goes into hibernation soon, I had thought of getting a set of FSDs for my winter VW MKV. Plans now changed to Koni yellows that I should receive next week.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:34 AM   #69

Have more time on these now.
The damp rear strut got much worse and was replaced.
I'm not convinced that these are a good match for the ROW M030 springs. May work better with other springs?
At -10C weather these struts feel like they are on full stiff.

I know different car and all but last fall I put Eibach ProKit springs and Koni yellows on the winter VW MK5 and love the combo. Very predictable and reasonable. Adjusted full soft they are both firmer and more comfortable than the Monroes my wife put on her VW mk6 sport wagon a few months prior.

If I were to do it all over again, this is the route I would go, and budget for the adjustable rear toe links and sways.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #70
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
What are you comparing to? What was on the car before?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:22 AM   #71

Quote:
What are you comparing to? What was on the car before?
Stock setup. I'm thinking the Row M030 spring rate vs dampening rate is my issue. Big hits are taken care of very nicely but smaller imperfections not so much. They probably would work better with softer/more progressive springs is my thinking.

YMMV but at this time of year here, most of the roads have frost damage and haven't been repaired yet, same roads I been blasting with the VW running yellows and Eibach that takes it all in stride.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #72
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I've run standard S (58k), brand new M030, old M030 (105k) and new FSD/H&R. You do feel the edges more with different springs. I'm sure the ride will be more comfortable with a softer spring.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #73

Quote:
I've run standard S (58k), brand new M030, old M030 (105k) and new FSD/H&R. You do feel the edges more with different springs. I'm sure the ride will be more comfortable with a softer spring.
So what is your opinion on set up for a Euro Boxster S with the standard suspension, to flatten it out more in curves, but not stiffen it too much?

How would the FSD work with stock springs, and maybe a stiffer sway bar?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #74
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
I haven't tried all combinations but if you want something firmer than standard with more damping control then the FSD works well. I think it has a greater range than an M030 damper. My FSD are paired with my M030 ARBs or sways as you call them and the M030 spec -10mm progressive H&R spring. This seems to work well for me and is at the right place on the performance Vs value spectrum.

Having previously tried new M030 I wanted to try something different. It's not that the M030 on my old car didn't work it's just that I'm curious and like to try something different. I haven't yet tried it on one of my week long Alps or Pyrenees trips but it handles and rides better than M030 for me.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #75

Quote:
I haven't tried all combinations but if you want something firmer than standard with more damping control then the FSD works well. I think it has a greater range than an M030 damper. My FSD are paired with my M030 ARBs or sways as you call them and the M030 spec -10mm progressive H&R spring. This seems to work well for me and is at the right place on the performance Vs value spectrum.

Having previously tried new M030 I wanted to try something different. It's not that the M030 on my old car didn't work it's just that I'm curious and like to try something different. I haven't yet tried it on one of my week long Alps or Pyrenees trips but it handles and rides better than M030 for me.
I am curious but lack enough funds to experiment. I have a turbo ford mondeo titanum my wife complains constantly about the ride being to firm, I love so makes a dilema. I want to keep her happy but stiffen the car up, want to do a long road trip from Seville up to northern spain and back, so need to keep it tame.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #76

Update.
The FSDs performed as advertised even if I’m not convinced that the ROW M030 spring rates are a good match. But having left the car outside in -10C all day before my commute back home, I have to emphasize that these are not good in the cold. If you don’t drive in those temperatures or colder, than you will likely be happy with these. For my money, when I do it again, I’ll be going with the sports.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Update.
The FSDs performed as advertised even if I’m not convinced that the ROW M030 spring rates are a good match. But having left the car outside in -10C all day before my commute back home, I have to emphasize that these are not good in the cold. If you don’t drive in those temperatures or colder, than you will likely be happy with these. For my money, when I do it again, I’ll be going with the sports.
What makes FSD to perform worse than other shocks, especially those typical non-adjustable?

You will pick Sports next time so you can adjust softer for winter (assuming you are not already softest for summer)?

I'm considering FSD now and I daily drive mine through Michigan winter so cold performance is a factor.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 AM   #78

The compliance is greatly diminished. It turns into a teeth and car rattler. I assume it has to do with the crossover valving/viscosity. Worse than regular shocks and cold.