Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd5r View Post
I have the bilstein shocks also and I must say that they are stiff but not uncomfortable. Handling is good on rough roads and ride is more controlled.
Thanks, your response is the paradigm that Koni is trying to overcome! At risk of sounding like paid advertisement (which unfortunately I am not) what if you could have increased handling and a better ride? Porsche obviously thinks there are buyers since they went to the expense to develop the PASM system using computers to control the dampers. However these may not be attractive to the used market buyer having to potentially spend large amounts to maintain these systems. The FSD is able to make internal adjustments based on the frequency of the event, And makes this technology available for our generation cars. Do you give up race car handling? The Vodafone McLaren F1 racing team apparently didn't think so as indicated in the attached. And if it was good for the McLaren F1 team I'd think it would be sufficient for me.

F1 2010: Koni dampers - Racecar Engineering

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I feel like I have replied to this thread and my replies aren't showing up, so this post is a test. Yes I love them! Search for posts by me with the word "koni" in them to see my various thoughts, or maybe my posts to this thread will show up...
Thanks Steve! I've been paying attention and enjoy your posts! Just thought it'd be worthwhile to gather your perspective in this thread since there doesn't seem to be much experience with these shocks. Also want to say I do agree with you cause These shocks are Fantastic!
Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #43

So this is very, very early days, but the car is back on its wheels, Koni FSD, stock springs, (I'm UK remember so maybe different to your US springs), top mounts, coffin arms, drop links, ARB bushes, Track rods, tuning forks and trailing arms. Its a bit good!

There is significantly less body roll than I expected, its very flat - that must be the slow speed compression damping - yet the bump/rough road performance so far feels excellent. and its so nice to have no rattles, bangs, knocks or anything at all! I did think I might need some stiffer ARB's but on first efforts I'm not sure I will.

Unfortunately I couldn't book in for an alignment until next week, so despite me doing best efforts to get it roughly straight with stringing out, it drives horrendous because all the wheels are pointing all over the shop. So ill have to wait before I really push it, but so far, so good - I think these Koni FSD could be exactly what a number of people want!

New suspension by simonholehan, on Flickr

New suspension B by simonholehan, on Flickr
snotrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:10 AM   #44

Bump, everyone still happy with their choices? Any more feedback?
My struts are done. Looking at the B12 kit, ROW M030 kit, FSD with stock springs, FSD with ROW M030 springs, Koni sport with ...
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #45

Garage
[QUOTE=snotrag;541843]So this is very, very early days, but the car is back on its wheels, Koni FSD, stock springs, (I'm UK remember so maybe different to your US springs), top mounts, coffin arms, drop links, ARB bushes, Track rods, tuning forks and trailing arms. Its a bit good!

There is significantly less body roll than I expected, its very flat - that must be the slow speed compression damping - yet the bump/rough road performance so far feels excellent. and its so nice to have no rattles, bangs, knocks or anything at all! I did think I might need some stiffer ARB's but on first efforts I'm not sure I will.

Unfortunately I couldn't book in for an alignment until next week, so despite me doing best efforts to get it roughly straight with stringing out, it drives horrendous because all the wheels are pointing all over the shop. So ill have to wait before I really push it, but so far, so good - I think these Koni FSD could be exactly what a number of people want!

Strange I keep missing posts..... I agree with your assessment and would like to hear what your thoughts are after the alignment. I haven't found any fault with my FSDs during hard driving, corner entry is very flat and bumps mid corner are soaked up very well. I'm especially impressed with the way they soak up the seams in concrete paving, the slaps that felt like the steering column was bending are simply gone, amazing.

Last edited by 911monty; 07-15-2017 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Bump, everyone still happy with their choices? Any more feedback?
My struts are done. Looking at the B12 kit, ROW M030 kit, FSD with stock springs, FSD with ROW M030 springs, Koni sport with ...
Hey Will; I saw your other post regarding frost heaves in Canada. Sounds like the FSDs would work very well for you on stock springs. Broken pavement would no longer be something to fear. I am in central Cali near the earthquake capital so we have similar roads, cracks and upheavals and I can say I am extremely happy with mine and would not hesitate to recommend them. Of course only you can determine what is best for the type of driving you do, but if you're not a dedicated track rat, but are simply looking for a more capable car for the occasional AX or DE, that rides much much better getting there, then look no further.

Last edited by 911monty; 07-15-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Hey Will; I saw your other post regarding frost heaves in Canada. Sounds like the FSDs would work very well for you on stock springs. Broken pavement would no longer be something to fear. I am in central Cali near the earthquake capital so we have similar roads, cracks and upheavals and I can say I am extremely happy with mine and would not hesitate to recommend them. Of course only you can determine what is best for the type of driving you do, but if you're not a dedicated track rat, but are simply looking for a more capable car for the occasional AX or DE, that rides much much better getting there, then look no further.
Thanks for your response. They are on the short list. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer on the ROW spring prices. I would like to combine the fsd with ROW M030 springs for a small drop and rake adjustment.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #48

Garage
Sorry duplicate disregard
Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snotrag View Post
So this is very, very early days, but the car is back on its wheels, Koni FSD, stock springs, (I'm UK remember so maybe different to your US springs), top mounts, coffin arms, drop links, ARB bushes, Track rods, tuning forks and trailing arms. Its a bit good!

New suspension by simonholehan, on Flickr

New suspension B by simonholehan, on Flickr
Sits too high for my taste; looks like a 4X4
Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #50

Been surfing the net and found this
KONI Suspension Kit Sport Kit Fahrwerk für Porsche Boxster 986 | eBay

Direct competition for the Bilstein b12 kit at a great price.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 AM   #51

Any more feedback regarding FSD or Koni sport on row m030 springs? Getting ready to pull the trigger.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #52

Quote:
Any more feedback regarding FSD or Koni sport on row m030 springs? Getting ready to pull the trigger.
I am Koni FSD with USA M030, 2000 S manual, so not exactly the same, but I love it. Comfortable on the street, and handles well on the track.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #53

Quote:
I am Koni FSD with USA M030, 2000 S manual, so not exactly the same, but I love it. Comfortable on the street, and handles well on the track.
That's the way I'm leaning. The dealer came back with spring part numbers that seem to relate to USA030 instead of the ROW030 I asked for so I'm holding off until that gets cleared up.
My thinking is that the ROW 030 will firm things up and give a slight drop and rake while avoiding the need for adjustable rear toe arms. The FSD should keep it livable on my crap roads that it gets DD duty on. Well that's what I'm hoping anyway.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:13 AM   #54

The Koni sport kit is available in Europe for an attractive price but looks too low for me and will need adjustable rear toe arms. That puts it into RoW kit price.
RoW M030 springs for 5speed look to be unobtainium without going with the full kit. Full kit from my local dealer is 2350$cdn. Carnewal appears to be better priced.
Stock RoW m030 shouldn't be too bad right? How's dealing with carnewal?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 AM   #55

Quote:
The Koni sport kit is available in Europe for an attractive price but looks too low for me and will need adjustable rear toe arms. That puts it into RoW kit price.
RoW M030 springs for 5speed look to be unobtainium without going with the full kit. Full kit from my local dealer is 2350$cdn. Carnewal appears to be better priced.
Stock RoW m030 shouldn't be too bad right? How's dealing with carnewal?
Carnewal was good, Gert was good to deal with. It took a while for them (my Koni FSD order) to get here though, due to a wrong part being delivered to his shop or something. I don't have the exact amount of time, but maybe 6 weeks? Normally I think it would be more like 2 weeks. Email him and reach out, he always got back to me very quickly.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:14 AM   #56

Quote:
Carnewal was good, Gert was good to deal with. It took a while for them (my Koni FSD order) to get here though, due to a wrong part being delivered to his shop or something. I don't have the exact amount of time, but maybe 6 weeks? Normally I think it would be more like 2 weeks. Email him and reach out, he always got back to me very quickly.

Steve
Thanks Steve,
I inquired about a mix and match with the FSDs and it added over 400€ to the price and a possible delay of several weeks for the FSDs. But it seems if he can order the springs he has better parts availability than what my dealer has so I may forgo the sways and just order the springs and FSDs. Be a shame to go this route when the whole Porsche kit is so reasonably priced and complete. I'm less sure of my direction now...
Looking more like Porsche kit and when those dampers go off...
Old 07-31-2017, 10:58 AM   #57

Yesterday we installed a set of Koni FSD along with a H&R springs on my younger son older Jetta, drove the car for about two hours going back home and really liked the combination, great chassis control (firm) but without the harsh ride.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 AM   #58

RoW M030 springs and FSDs ordered from Gert. 4-5 week wait for the FSDs so it will be a while before a review.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #59
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
RoW M030 springs and FSDs ordered from Gert. 4-5 week wait for the FSDs so it will be a while before a review.
Did they arrive yet?

My FSD will be going on with -10 H&R springs. It's replacing my old M030. New arms all round not that long ago and will also have fresh drop links and Powerflex arb bushes and some Kmac adjustable top mounts.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
Did they arrive yet?

My FSD will be going on with -10 H&R springs. It's replacing my old M030. New arms all round not that long ago and will also have fresh drop links and Powerflex arb bushes and some Kmac adjustable top mounts.

No, Gert said it will be a few more weeks. They will be from the latest production run. Factory fresh so to speak.