View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #15
jakeru

Here is the shock dyno plot for my two rear 986 Koni sports. (I believe set to minimum rebound setting.)

The purpose of the dyno run (performed by Koni) was to verify that both sides matched before they sent my repalcements. This was the replacement set Koni shipped which I still need to install in the car. The set I initially got and returned were quite uneven in low speed compression damping (even without a shock dyno, it was blatantly obvious to me that one side compressed about 3x as fast as the other given an approximately equal force... which is definitely not the hot ticket as on konis only the rebound adjusts so you'd be stuck with screwed up shock valving and poor handling characteristics!)

I'd be interested to hear what the above plots looks like (in terms of the "kinked" shape, etc) for someone really into suspension tuning who is really up in interpreting these things. (Although comparing against similar Koni FSD plots for the 986 rear, if they could be obtained by anyone else somehow, would be very interesting to see!)

I take my suspension setup seriously as I have an interest in autocross racing and any serious competitor there knows the importance of good shocks. (In stock class, shocks are one of the few things that are allowed to be modified.) I trophied at SCCA Solo nationals a few years ago in a "lowly" VW. (But it was rocking custom-valved, double adjustable Konis front and rear.) I hate to say it but the lowly VW can still run circles around my 986 at lower speeds. (At higher speed, the aerodynamics of course favor the Boxster.) So I've got some more work to do on my fairly high-mileage 986 to bring it up to my performance expectations for what a Porsche should do. (The front suspension rebuild was already a huge improvement, but I'm really looking forward to getting the rear Koni spots on there.) For many years, I've admired watching Boxsters with the mesmerizing and amazingly neutral looking handling dynamics dodging autocross course cones at speed.

Last edited by jakeru; 01-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote