Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 07:53 AM   #21

decide that you want to slow down - brake using left side of foot.

decide that you should probably downshift to be in the right rpm range:
clutch in.
shift.
roll foot so as to use right side of foot to blip throttle.
release clutch.

decide that you are done braking - release brake.

works best when braking hard so that brake pedal is even with gas pedal; light braking and the pedals are mis-aligned.

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
decide that you want to slow down - brake using left side of foot.

decide that you should probably downshift to be in the right rpm range:
clutch in.
shift.
roll foot so as to use right side of foot to blip throttle.
release clutch.

decide that you are done braking - release brake.

works best when braking hard so that brake pedal is even with gas pedal; light braking and the pedals are mis-aligned.
I will practice that in my driveway. My next track day is at Roebling in September, and (as of the last time I was there) my only downshift is at the end of the front straight, where I go from 5th at around 120 down to 3rd and around 65'ish? Then I run the rest of the track in 3rd, upshifting to 4th before turns 8/9 and getting on the front straight. I believe there is a lot more speed on that track and I am still running the same very conservative pace that I ran on my very first DE ever which was there. I think this time I am going to work on carrying more speed down the short straight and around turn 3 so I may go to 4th and then back to 3rd.

Here is my best lap from last time (where interestingly I was much less than 120 coming down the straight, which is probably why I didn't slow down to 50 or some ridiculous low speed for turn 1):
Track Attack

I have done 1 track day at the firm and 2 track days at Road Atlanta since then so I am interested to see what sort of improvements I have made.

OP sorry that I have hijacked your thread about the auto-blip... to tie it all together I think if I could have had auto blip I could have taken a few seconds off my times at Road Atlanta because I think my corner entry speeds would have been higher.

Thank you TRK for the feedback.

Steve

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote