Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Cool Oil Leak - Pulling Trans to change RMS, IMS, Clutch, etc

So, I've completely restored my 1998 Boxster. You can see the project here: 1998 Boxster Project - Complete Restoration

Now its time to tackle the mechanical stuff. She's got a small oil leak right where the trans and engine mate. I'm guessing its the RMS, but I suppose it could be the IMS.

So today I put her up on my lift and started the process of pulling the transmission. I got all the parts that need to be removed just prior to pulling the trans done. I will likely pull the trans on Saturday.

My plan is to replace the IMS with the LN Dual Row Bearing, RMS, and install a new 987 Clutch and Pressure plate. All the new parts are in-hand and ready to go!

Any advice from those who have done this project before is welcome

One question I do have is that both the Bentley Manual and the 101Projects manual both say to remove the muffler. I have an aftermarket exhaust (like a Borla) and there seems to be plenty of room between the exhaust pipes and the back end of the transmission. I would like to attempt removing the trans with out taking off the muffler. Has anyone else attempted this?

I will update this thread along the way and share any insights I gain along the way.

Here is the oil in the garage. Mind you this is froma few months of sitting there.






Here is a close up of where the oil is dripping from.



Detached the CV Joints from the Transmission



Looking up at the Back Up Switch on the Clutch Slave Cylinder



Unplugged the Back Up Switch Harness



About to disconnect the Shift Cables from the Transmission.

__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Homeboy981
 
Homeboy981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 663
Garage
Sorry Doc,

You will need to remove the exhaust, at least the muffler portion anyway. Besides, it allows you to be able to "sit up" inside the tranny area to get your IMS in straight and torque the bolts properly.

Make triple sure you lock down the engine at TDC VERY WELL. I used 2 cam locks AND a separate bar on the Flywheel bolts, and the pin in the Flywheel. May have been overkill but I was not going to let the patient die from a timing issue.

There ARE several instructions out there, be careful which you choose!

IMHO @Meir produced the most helpful and best writeups. @Meir's instructions were almost 100% accurate. I consulted instructions from 5 different authors, the least helpful were from LNE. I am not saying any more on the subject.
__________________
2002 Porsche Boxtser S - Silver & Chrome - Died from IMS failure AFTER IMS was replaced!
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Registered User
 
woodsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Land of naught
Posts: 1,302
expect the dualmass flywheel to need replacement as well
__________________
Death is certain, life is not.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Sorry Doc,

You will need to remove the exhaust, at least the muffler portion anyway. Besides, it allows you to be able to "sit up" inside the tranny area to get your IMS in straight and torque the bolts properly.

Make triple sure you lock down the engine at TDC VERY WELL. I used 2 cam locks AND a separate bar on the Flywheel bolts, and the pin in the Flywheel. May have been overkill but I was not going to let the patient die from a timing issue.

There ARE several instructions out there, be careful which you choose!

IMHO @Meir produced the most helpful and best writeups. @Meir's instructions were almost 100% accurate. I consulted instructions from 5 different authors, the least helpful were from LNE. I am not saying any more on the subject.
Thanks for the heads up about locking in tdc. Ive already read a bunch of instructions and watched videos on YouTube. Where do I find the right up you're referring to?
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
expect the dualmass flywheel to need replacement as well
Why should I expect this? From the oil leak? Or just as a routine thing?
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,099
The elastomer layer in the flywheel does not like oil, tends to soften it. Check it for twist per OEM specs, if it is out, it has to be replaced.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
expect the dualmass flywheel to need replacement as well
Why should I expect this? From the oil leak? Or just as a routine thing?
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,575
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbodzin View Post
Thanks for the heads up about locking in tdc. Ive already read a bunch of instructions and watched videos on YouTube. Where do I find the right up you're referring to?
Hi D.
This is the link to my expiriance that Homeboy is talking about.
winter project
Will be happy to lend you the LN tools in case you need.
Good luck.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Homeboy981
 
Homeboy981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 663
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The elastomer layer in the flywheel does not like oil, tends to soften it. Check it for twist per OEM specs, if it is out, it has to be replaced.
Huh, that explains why my flywheel wouldn't bounce back…live and learn.

Anyway, drbodzin - here is the link you asked for…

winter project

Good Luck!
__________________
2002 Porsche Boxtser S - Silver & Chrome - Died from IMS failure AFTER IMS was replaced!
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered User
 
kjc2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 847
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
Huh, that explains why my flywheel wouldn't bounce back…live and learn.

Anyway, drbodzin - here is the link you asked for…

winter project

Good Luck!
Dept. of Redundancy Dept.
__________________
2000 Boxster S, 6 speed, Sport Package, Litronics, LED tail lights, LNE IMS-B, OBC, Skybreaker wind deflector, Arctic Silver/Graphite Grey
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Hi D.
This is the link to my expiriance that Homeboy is talking about.
winter project
Will be happy to lend you the LN tools in case you need.
Good luck.
Thank you! I already have the tools though.
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The elastomer layer in the flywheel does not like oil, tends to soften it. Check it for twist per OEM specs, if it is out, it has to be replaced.
I'm able to twist the flywheel about 10mm in each direction by hand. Is it suppose to spring back to the same spot? It goes back, but not with a sudden spring. Sorta "eases" back.
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #13
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Got more done today. Ended up taking out the muffler and both cats. Got the transmission out today. Took the pressure plate off too. Next, the flywheel, etc.



To support the engine, I just used some wood. I will definitely say this job was made a lot easier with the scissor lift. Not sure I would have done this without it.



And here she is with the transmission dropped out.

__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)

Last edited by drbodzin; 05-11-2013 at 07:02 PM.
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #14
Registered User
 
kjc2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 847
Garage
Doc,

What the hell. You're a chiropractor, right? Where did you learn to wrench? How do you have the time? ...just curious. Enjoying the step by step photos; thanks.
__________________
2000 Boxster S, 6 speed, Sport Package, Litronics, LED tail lights, LNE IMS-B, OBC, Skybreaker wind deflector, Arctic Silver/Graphite Grey
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #15
Porsche Purist
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,038
Garage
Great time to replace the AOS, oil fill tube, and the coolant tank while they are "easier" to access.
__________________
1998 Boxster with 7.8 DME, 2005 3.6 liter/325 hp, Variocam Plus, 996 Instrument panel
2001 Boxster bought new. Installed used motor at 89k.
1987 924S 2002 996TT PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Have driven them all the way the Dr intended...

Last edited by Paul; 05-12-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,575
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbodzin View Post
I'm able to twist the flywheel about 10mm in each direction by hand. Is it suppose to spring back to the same spot? It goes back, but not with a sudden spring. Sorta "eases" back.
Your FW is good.
It doesn't need to spring back to the starting point, bat has to go back ther, and twist the same way to the other side.
When doing my project, I decided to replace the FW anyway ( thought I'm going to keep my car for ever). The new FW, acted axactly the same as the old one, only required a bit more force to twist.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #17
1999 base
 
Meir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Coral Springs FL
Posts: 1,575
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Great time to replace the AOS, oil fill tube, and the coolant tank while they are "easier" to access.
+1.
I also replaced the oil filler tube.
Don't even want to imagine what it takes to do that task with the trans on.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #18
Registered User
 
BruceH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bedford, TX
Posts: 2,473
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Doc,

What the hell. You're a chiropractor, right? Where did you learn to wrench? How do you have the time? ...just curious. Enjoying the step by step photos; thanks.
Was wondering the same thing! The scissors lift makes a big difference. Impressive job Dr
__________________
______________________________________________
2001 Boxster S Lapis Blue
TS Cat Bypass Pipes and exhaust
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Doc,

What the hell. You're a chiropractor, right? Where did you learn to wrench? How do you have the time? ...just curious. Enjoying the step by step photos; thanks.
Well that's a good question. In my youth I dropped a few VW bug engines and transmissions. Its been a long time though.

Yes I'm a chiropractor. But I don't see patients any longer. I did for nearlly 20 years. But now I serve the chiropractic profession through my software company. Which gives me a lot more flexibility in my schedule and time to spend on my hobbies and stuff.

This forum has helped a lot in knowing what and how to wrench on the Boxster. Plus I got some good manuals and there's plenty of online video tutorials.
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
San Diego Boxster
 
drbodzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 325
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Great time to replace the AOS, oil fill tube, and the coolant tank while they are "easier" to access.
Hi Paul
Thanks. What is an AOS?
__________________
Happy Boxstering!
Miles

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch , ims , oil leak , rms , transmission


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page