View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
drbodzin
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool Oil Leak - Pulling Trans to change RMS, IMS, Clutch, etc

So, I've completely restored my 1998 Boxster. You can see the project here: 1998 Boxster Project - Complete Restoration

Now its time to tackle the mechanical stuff. She's got a small oil leak right where the trans and engine mate. I'm guessing its the RMS, but I suppose it could be the IMS.

So today I put her up on my lift and started the process of pulling the transmission. I got all the parts that need to be removed just prior to pulling the trans done. I will likely pull the trans on Saturday.

My plan is to replace the IMS with the LN Dual Row Bearing, RMS, and install a new 987 Clutch and Pressure plate. All the new parts are in-hand and ready to go!

Any advice from those who have done this project before is welcome

One question I do have is that both the Bentley Manual and the 101Projects manual both say to remove the muffler. I have an aftermarket exhaust (like a Borla) and there seems to be plenty of room between the exhaust pipes and the back end of the transmission. I would like to attempt removing the trans with out taking off the muffler. Has anyone else attempted this?

I will update this thread along the way and share any insights I gain along the way.

Here is the oil in the garage. Mind you this is froma few months of sitting there.

Here is a close up of where the oil is dripping from.

Detached the CV Joints from the Transmission

Looking up at the Back Up Switch on the Clutch Slave Cylinder

Unplugged the Back Up Switch Harness

About to disconnect the Shift Cables from the Transmission.

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote