Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #1

IMS/Clutch job this weekend!, couple questions

I'm tackling the Pelican IMS retrofit and clutch job on my Boxster this weekend, and have a couple questions.

1) I don't have a flywheel lock, is there any other option?

2) Do you guys recommend jacking up the front and back of the car?

3) I've read through countless write ups but does anyone have any words of wisdom?

I'll keep everyone posted on the progress!

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #2

I wonder why you choose the Pelican IMS upgrade vs the LN Engineering version?

I'll do mine in 5,000 miles when I hit 60K, or at the next clutch job, which ever comes first.

Just curious how you decided one way or the other on the 2 different IMS upgrades available.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
I'm tackling the Pelican IMS retrofit and clutch job on my Boxster this weekend, and have a couple questions.

3) I've read through countless write ups but does anyone have any words of wisdom?

While the flywheel lock is a relatively inexpensive and useful item, it is not critical to getting the job done; it just makes it quicker and a bit easier, particularly if it is a one-man job.

If you can get the entire car up in a level position, you would be better off. But it can still be done with just the back up.

Take your time, read and follow the LN directions (I am not a fan of using setscrews to hold the shaft).
Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #4

If you chamfer the edge of the aligning hole on the flywheel, it goes on easier.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Good luck! My hat is off to anyone who replaces the IMSB as DIY.

Take some pic's and post as you make progress.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:

Truegearhead,

If you could post pictures of your clutch job and ims that would be amazing. I am wanting to replace the clutch on my car myself, but have found all the write-ups somewhat ambigious and hasty. Best of luck!
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:

1) You can make a lock yourself. Go to the local hardware store and get a piece/bar of steel (needs to be 8" long or so) and drill two holes. One hole will be big enough to bolt to the motor, the other hole slightly larger than the flywheel/clutch alignment pins. See attached photo.
2) Consider having the car level, it will make it a little easier aligning the bearing when you install it.
3) Don't drink any beer while doing this job.

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 05-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #8

Garage
[QUOTE=Jager;291609]1) You can make a lock yourself. Go to the local hardware store and get a piece/bar of steel (needs to be 8" long or so) and drill two holes. One hole will be big enough to bolt to the motor, the other hole slightly larger than the flywheel/clutch alignment pins. See attached photo.
2) Consider having the car level, it will make it a little easier aligning the bearing when you install it.
3) Don't drink any beer while doing this job.

What about German beer?
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Good thing you picked a long weekend - there are a lot of parts to take off and put back.

I suggest reading the Pelican Parts write up in 101 Projects before starting. It has some helpful photos. Then take pictures as you pull the gearbox out to note the direction of the components, and double check during re-assembly. There are plenty of nightmare stories where people put the clutch plate in the wrong direction or something and then no clutch after all that work.

Oh, make sure you have a 12 point triple square socket head before getting started for that one odd bolt on the bottom left side of the gearbox. I had one in my toolbox, but still had to machine my tool before using it due to the limited space behind the bolt.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
Good thing you picked a long weekend - there are a lot of parts to take off and put back.

I suggest reading the Pelican Parts write up in 101 Projects before starting. It has some helpful photos. Then take pictures as you pull the gearbox out to note the direction of the components, and double check during re-assembly. There are plenty of nightmare stories where people put the clutch plate in the wrong direction or something and then no clutch after all that work.

Oh, make sure you have a 12 point triple square socket head before getting started for that one odd bolt on the bottom left side of the gearbox. I had one in my toolbox, but still had to machine my tool before using it due to the limited space behind the bolt.
Yea, that triple square bolt got me, I was not ready for that one. You will need something similar to what is pictured below (triple square bit and box end wrench). Also, most of the transmission (trans axle) to motor bolts are different, you will need to keep track of which bolt goes where. Label or number them as you remove them.

300K Mile Club
Old 05-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post

What about German beer?
Only after the bearing assembly is mounted correctly in the end of the Intermediate Shaft... Then it's time for a cold one!!

300K Mile Club
Old 05-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #12

I put mine up on four jack stands. Once you get the rear bumper and muffler off there was plenty of room. If you have an air ratchet that will make getting the axel bolts off much easier.
Chris
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #13

Garage
If the 02 3.2 have a clutch cable can it be adjusted?
Hadydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #14

Can you just pin the crankshaft at TDC to hold the flywheel or will the pin shear when you apply torque to the flywheel bolts.?

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadydaddy View Post
If the 02 3.2 have a clutch cable can it be adjusted?
No cable no adjusment
Old 06-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #16

She's been sitting here for two weeks now! THe IMS replacement is complete, drive axles are rebuilt with new boots, and the transmission is installed. Now I'm stuck on the two broken exhaust manifold bolts. I've tried everything under the sun PB blaster, freezeoff,welding a nut to them, etc. I've finally decided to go ahead and drill them out. The member "insite"'s post on his 3.4L swap as well as some as PMs has been a huge help. I'm following his lead and using a Quickcenter with slow increments in bit size. I've always rebuilt a drill press to drill up which hopefully will help me a bit

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #17

Damn, I wish I had that kind of room in my garage...
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #18

Did you try heat?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #19

Garage
Anybody used one of those inductive heat guns yet? I'd like to know how they work...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:56 AM   #20
Ex Esso kid

If you are not using specialized bits you need the hardest ones you can buy. Surprisingly, after tons of shopping, I found the craftsman bit set to be the best don't bother with depot or lowes. At least you have a system of keeping the drilling work square that's probably the biggest issue. In the end, don't be surprised if you end up having to use these:

++ TIME-SERT Metric Kits ++ thread repair kits and inserts repair stripped threads damaged threads repaired threads threaded inserts for metal thread inserts for metal aluminum inserts threaded inserts for aluminum

far better result than heliocoils, even though I expected one I never had an exhaust leak post repair. With the amount sticking out you have, maybe you could weld two nuts on there and go "nuts".

Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote